Any handling mods?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by ColeBartakovic, Dec 19, 2015.

1. ColeBartakovic

ColeBartakovic Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  2. terryturner

terryturner Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  3. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if you want a car that handles well you dont buy a 4500lb brick

i dont think you can do much to improve upon what you have...you will spend $$ to make small improvements....cant make a 4500lb car w/ no aerodynamics handle like a corvette

just my opinion...i wouldnt bother trying to improve upon what you have....put the $$ into tires and go fast items

4. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As has been mentioned there are other threads on the matter. To me biggest bang for the buck:

1. 285/35 sticky tires
    2. Springs
    3. At least 10in wide wheels
    4. Subframe connectors
    5. Shock tower braces

And yes there are big changes coming out of those. You won't match a well driven Corvette but jeez, have realistic expectations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good selections. You will not need the shorter sway links, unless you are planning different diameter wheels.

Huggy my friend, took the stock Cat out to a Vette day. Never was passed by one and passed numerous Vette's myself. This thing brakes great, DOES NOT handle bad (if driven well), and my boy it flat nails it from the apex of any corner until the brakes come on. Not a car on the track including the Vipers keep up with the torque these monsters put down. Our monster motor and an A8 in track mode make a nasty package together.

Adding the items above is exactly my plans for this winter. I already have aftermarket wheels with 10.5" rears if I want to also experiment with a stagger setup. For starters, I am so bold to say, I am retaining the stock wheels and PZero's until I wear out my set for track use. That is what I used last year and it was a blast. It CAN blast a corner, you just need a steady hand and a good right foot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It all depends on the road courses you frequent. More straight sections favors us. More corners favors other cars. We will not corner with a Corvette or even a GT350 or Z28 even if we mount r compound tires, but we'll get close enough that straights can gain us back some time and make the challenge fun.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Brainerd Donnybrook. One 150mph plus down the drag strip-quarter mile- run out and entry to beautiful turn #1 hauling azz, and three other spots to bust 100 mph between turns, one up to 120+. We shall see, that old course has been raced on for decades, but several people liked watching what the stock Hellcat was doing. We shall return with upgrades next year and nailing down some times to see where it stacks up.

8. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i just remember watching the videos comparing the HC to the Z28....the Z28 guy was all relaxed, moving slowly....while the same guy in a HC looked stressed and constantly moving his arms back and forth..

i do agree the brakes are top notch...for my use handling is more than good enough.....i have fear in doing a twisty track with a rwd powerful car......i did some w/ the track experience

• Like Like x 1
  9. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have no fear, just a healthy respect. As you say, the cars are really capable from the factory. Put it in track mode and paddle shift and have a good time.

But if you want to make the other cars nervous of getting beaten by an over 2 ton beast, get some seat time and then put on some good tires. The rest of the mods are less return IMO..

• Like Like x 1
  10. ColeBartakovic

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Im not trying to beat vettes or camaros and mustangs but im not getting bigger tires until summer which are going to be 305. So before summer im going to do handling and suspension mods that will help cornering and before the summer im going to put 305 on and do all the performance mods hopefully going for 730-750rwhp

11. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You will beat others if you can drive in any races where it is just lapping. The extra 100 hp will bump you up to the top classes if you enter any real competition. You won't beat anyone then. For road racing concentrate on handling mods and rubber. We have plenty in the power department given to use from Dodge.

12. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It also just comes down to driver skill, remember that Top Gear episode where they gave ther German car chic a transit van, she was beating Porches, bikes, etc, in a van with a roll bar. Just something to keep in mind, you can have the best handling car in the world, but if you can't drive you can't drive

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. ColeBartakovic

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah i talked to owenspackman and im going to do similar mods to him but do more handling as well

14. sinister707

sinister707 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i started one of the handling topics on the forum. i can tell you my steering feels more responsive and while i don't think i will out corner a z/28 or gt 500 i feel i will more than adequately keep up with them. in addition to my front & rear strut tower braces, kw has variant lowered suspension, i will be doing sub frame connectors, shorter sway links, and bigger/wider rubber... i plan on keeping the 9.5 inch rims unless some one can show me a lowered HC running 10 inch rims... i don't think we have much more room once it is lowered... but i am no mechanic and experimenting as others are here in the forums and look for the guidance of the more experience members on the forum.

i will also do some performance mods once i feel that the ones out there have been proven a bit more... but on the short list are:

- DSS Aluminum DS
    - long tube headers (don't know if they are out there or if they are which one to get)
    - Different exhaust system (possibly 3 inch and keeping the stock tips)
    - 3.09 rear from mopar... i know that this only makes it quicker doesn't add any power
    - Bwoody heat exchanger with nitrous prep (doubt i will ever use nitrous in this car i just like over kill)
    - Metco pully (don't really know what size to get as with this i don't want over kill)
    - PCM tune ... (still debating this one as i don't want to screw up the car)
    - CAI (only if i get the tune)

Comments/thoughts on the above are welcomed.

15. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    BilletHellcat has his lowered with 10.5" Triumph Performance Wheels in the rear. Nitto 315/35 or his new 18" drag setup all included. Lower away!
    I will be ordering the KW kit after the first of the year. Plan on using my 10.5" both on the street and going to try them on the track against the OEM rear setup to see what the difference is good or bad.