Any leads / advice on finding a Charger?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by flurg, Jun 9, 2015.

1. flurg

flurg Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So, I live in New Hampshire, which means that while I don't have to pay sales tax on a $70K+ car, HC allocations were abysmal. With the Challengers releasing earlier than the Chargers, and the A8 shortages, allocations for Chargers in NH were pretty much non-existent. I've called 9 dealers in NH and they all claimed that they didn't get a single charger, nor do they have any coming. Thus, I'm currently sitting in the "wait for 2016 orders to open" queue, which sucks! I'm nervous that if I wait until the August order opening, I could be sitting here this time next still year waiting as the dealers in my area will no doubt be at the bottom of the list and I'm sure that the 2015 backlog will come first.

I'm hoping someone that was more forward thinking than I am doubled-down on their orders and has an extra Charger order I can take off their hands. I'd prefer Granite Crystal, silver or white, but I'd be willing to take black as well. Really don't love the blue or red. Ideally, it'd be pretty loaded (brass monkey, sepia leather, sunroof, Nav, audio) I don't care about the summer tires or black painted roof. Obviously, I'm willing to look at all options.

I'd be willing to throw the holder of the reservation a fee if they ordered at or near MSRP and are in a state in which the dealer won't attempt to collect sales tax.

I've found a couple Chargers in NJ and NY, but they're asking at least $10K over MSRP. One dealer initially stated $20K ADM and insisted that he was justified as he could transfer it to a CA dealer for over $100K in a second. None of the NJ or NY dealers seemed to think that I could get sales tax waiver even if I'd be immediately transporting / registering in NH. They seemed to want to collect the tax and let me deal with getting it back on my own. Problem is, in states that have sales tax waivers, they all state that if the dealer collects it, you cannot get it back. I could stomach this on a $20K car, but we're talking around $5K on top of ADM, just not worth it to me. I thought dealerships in most states were required to collect the tax rate for the state in which the purchaser resides. Anyone know if this is accurate and / or why dealers I've called have told me that they need to collect state sales tax if the vehicle would be sold to and titled to a NH resident?

NH, no sales tax but good luck finding a car! LOL :)

2. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Don't think you are alone...still sitting in VON HELL from 12 Jan. #1 Charger at my dealership but after the FCA mess all allocations to date have gone to the Challenger backlog. Now sitting in the pole position if I ever get a chance. Suppose to be allocation day today so continue to remain optimistic.

In searching and calling I've been close on a couple @ MSRP but always being seem to be the second one in line. Seems the deals only fall thru once. I'll keep trying. Dodge.com, Cars.com, Edmunds.com fill out the info requests and follow up. Most either are spoken for or the slimeballs want ridiculous ADM. I've chosen to let them sit for those that are making ADM mark ups. They can keep them and not get future allocations because they want to gut the public on price. Just leave them sit on their lots.

West coast seems the worse for ADM, but like anything in this world where humans are involved there are spots of stupidity all around.

Resist the temptation and let the ADM dealerships suck on their own tailpipe...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So any state for a car?

4. Tjf2000

Tjf2000 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

Send me private message. I may be getting rid of mine with 280 miles on it, if I can work out a deal on a 57 fuel injected corvette I have been chasing for 15 years.

5. Profezzor X

Profezzor X Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    In a few months, I'll be in a similar situation. Maybe not the out of state thing, but finding a Charger Hellcat at MSRP. And what's worse is that I live in California. I do have a dealer in mind that's committed to selling Hellcats for the MSRP, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to capitalize on that when the time is right, and not have to deal with other customers fighting for those limited allocations.

The three Charger Hellcats that I have seen at SoCal dealers so far have varied ADMs. Each in increments of $10k. The highest being Hooman Dodge, just south of the LAX airport, Cerritos Dodge, and Van Nuys Dodge - which was the lowest at $10k over MSRP. Not that I plan on paying that mark up at all, but the lower the ADM and time the vehicle is spent on the showroom floor, the better your bargaining power is. Especially if you've been keeping tabs on the car. You can call them out on their BS and remind them exactly just how long the car's been sitting there unsold, and that you're serious about taking it off their hands.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    flurg they are telling you BS.
    My guy is in New Hampshire and the car was bought from a dealer in Illinois.
    The car was paid in full, no sales tax paid as the car was to be titled in New Hampshire.
    100% you don't have to pay the sales tax

7. 707hpcharger

707hpcharger Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    My charger order is and always has been the only charger he has ordered. Looking more and more like it will not be built as a 2015.
    I'm about a month away from walking away from this whole thing.

If VON's can be transferred, I may have something for you.
    Billet silver, black interior, nav, hk stereo, standard wheels and tires. And guaranteed @MSRP.

8. Hell Catmandu

Hell Catmandu Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just checked and found there are at least 30 Challenger and Charger Hellcats listed on eBay. Many prices and options and I am sure you can haggle with the seller to get a lower price. Good luck to all!

9. flurg

flurg Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    No shit! I went and checked with both the NJ state assessors office and NH DMV. They have zero right to ask me to pay sales tax on a vehicle that will be registered in NH. If my license says NH and the sales paperwork has my address in NH, they are to report it as such and collect zero taxes.

10. flurg

flurg Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, I'm avoiding eBay. I've seen a few out there, looks like some slightly-over MSRP deals can be had, but I'm only interested in the A8 cars, specifically the Chargers. They seem to be less willing to negotiate on any of the A8 cars.

11. rubbel

rubbel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Correct on not paying out of state sales tax. The state you register your car in collects sales tax if there is one, not the state you bought the car in.

12. flurg

flurg Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

Assuming it every came it, which state would it be coming to? I'd imagine VON's can be transferred by the dealer, maybe unless it was a dealer order they put in as "sold"?

13. 707hpcharger

707hpcharger Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry, should have included that in o.p. it's ordered in Minnesota. About 30 minutes /miles from MSP airport.
    I'm not convinced this dealer will ever get an allocation, to be honest. He has 2 Challengers that have been on order for a long time. All 3 cars are sold orders. He has not seen or been allocated a single car yet.
    I am leaning towards walking away if no vin by early July.
    The thrill is gone, the shine wore off, my patience has all but expired and the impulse is gone.
    what pissed me off the most is that I sold my classic muscle car to make room for the Hellcat. Little did I know that my Hellcat Charger would be nothing more than a piece of worthless paper AKA the VON.
    Thanks FCA, Thanks a fca'ing lot

14. hellbound

hellbound BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Byers dodge in Columbus Ohio.... They have one coming in about 2 weeks i think.... No one has adopted this kitty as of 2 weeks ago.... Call them quick they also have allocation for 8 challengers