Any one done a cat delete on the exhaust

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Bossnova3, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Bossnova3

Bossnova3 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Like the title states any cat deletes out there or any company making a good high flow cat that would fit our cars? I've deleted my cats but probably will go with a high flow catalytic converter, any advice is welcome.

2. bam bam

bam bam Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did it make a big difference when you removed the cats?
    have you been to the drags yet after removing them, did it turn the service soon light?

3. Bossnova3

Bossnova3 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah it has a CEL on right now for the rear O2 my tuner can get that fixed no problem, my concern now is noise it's much louder without the cats thinking with high flow cats it might be a little quieter. It sounds good but a little louder than what I want for a daily driver.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Any power? Responsiveness? Stink of raw fuel?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bossnova3

Bossnova3 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It feels more responsive, as far as power I won't know until next week and no smell that I've notice. I'm thinking I'll install these and see. image.jpg

6. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had those on my 08 and I get the CEL. Had to remove them to pass smog inspection.

7. Bossnova3

Bossnova3 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Just want a higher flow cat the cel can be removed with the tune, was it different sounding than the OEM

8. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What is the CEL?
    Also, has anybody done any testing to see how much extra power it makes without the factory cat's, if it's not a significant improvement it would seem a shame to make the car be excessively loud when it already sounds so awesome straight from the factory!

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The difference was maybe 5 hp. Not worth monney
    CEL is Check Engine Light. The difference in cats is maybe 5hp.Yes you can turn it off with the Diablo Tuner but, you have turn the circuit back on to pass emissions and the light comes back on in less then 10 miles. With the light on you can not pass emissions. High flow cats are not worth the money.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Bossnova3

Bossnova3 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm Florida so emissions are not the problem, when a supercharged engine is tuned it produces much more heat so the cats start becoming a major restriction/problem. The OEM cats are much more expensive than the aftermarket ones so they're are a no brainier in this case

11. VanishingPoint

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cats are a funny thing nowadays-gone are the times where they sapped serious power and were the size of trash cans or multiple cats (I believe one California Mustang had 6 IIRC seeing once.

If you can get 5 legit HP out of high flow cats (meaning 2.5 hp per side) over stock, they may legitimately be holding 10 back in stock form (620 RWHP) in the most upper range of the revs. Once you get to maybe 700+ RWHP they may give you a little more power exponentially?

I said it once before, I think this exhaust only holds back maybe 20 +/- rwhp (IIRC properly what I said). That means full headers, exhaust, muffs-and that really is not much if you think about it; I have seen some full systems on other cars/trucks give the user 50 RWHP-I just don't think this is the case here.

However, if I tracked the car like FastCat here, I would definitely remove them as they become huge heat sinks and must be-have to be-detrimental (despite Dodge building the car for lapping).

12. Bossnova3

Bossnova3 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I agree I mostly did it for sound but my car is also tuned now so cats become a restriction in stock form no problem but when starting to mod then definitely removing them becomes a plus

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. VanishingPoint

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bossnova, I (and others) would love to know more about your car, your tune, and how the cats became a restriction (even minor) and of course we would love to hear it at startup, idle, WOT and cruise. We are children wandering in the dark here a lot with this car, and appreciate anyone who is pioneering the way.

How did you delete them?

Inquiring minds want to know :D

14. Bossnova3

Bossnova3 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    We deleted them at my brother's muffler shop we simply cut them off and replace them with strait pipe. I'll have to take out my go pro's and take some videos on here haven't done that yet that car sounds like a beast all the time ;), I love the sound but will admit that the drone at around 1500 to 2k can't get a little annoying cruising with light throttle not an issue at all but WOT it's like the gates of hell just opened and I LOVE IT but it's my daily and I'd like it a little more less aggressive :confused: to be used only when needed

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bossnova3

Bossnova3 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    My tune was made by Alex Peitz at the Tuning School here in Florida they're using my car as a test mule for there online classes and performance mods to the new hellcat platform that gained 50rwhp just with a tune alone nothing else. I've deleted the cats after the initial tune and now as expected I have a CEL for the rest O2 which will be resolve next week when the car goes back to them. Will see if it gained anything without the cats