Any one test traction on vs off at strip?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Jungle Cat, May 31, 2016.

1. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just curious if anyone has drag raced their Hellcat with the traction control on street then sport and then track to see the difference? I was at the Hemmings Musclepalooza in Lebanon Valley NY this last Sunday and the announcer said the drivers who were spinning the tires were better off leaving traction control on? I thought it was better to leave off? He was talking about the modern cars in general not Hellcats specific. I hope to get my car out soon to give it a go. Just about to hit 1500 miles.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Noquarter

Noquarter Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    keep it in street if your new to racing. It will slow you down but also keep you from doing something stupid.
    Most seasoned drivers run in sport

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if you want your best times you turn all the computers off

i turned my tc off and was told my car was still bogging around 40-50mph....i turned all the computers off and dropped my time by .3 the next round

i dont think you will ever get a 10.8 using your computers

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DriftKing

DriftKing Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Huggy! For clarification, do you mean hold the traction control button for 5 seconds turning it completely off? How do you turn off the 'other computers'?

5. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Put the car in Sport Mode. The bogging that Huggy was referring to was from the nannies kicking in (either cutting fuel and/or traction control kicking in) that is present in ALL other modes. (Track Mode is for course racing, not the drag strip, so traction control will kick in, though much less invasive than in Street mode).

Hold down the traction button till it chimes and the indicator pops up in the gauge cluster showing you T/C is disabled fully.

6. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    im still waiting to drive my HC for 2016, so i barely remember what its like to drive it from last Fall...but yes i believe you hold down the button for 5 secs.....remember nothing is there to save you

on one of my runs i felt the back end slide a bit....that=== you give up for that run....anything that doesnt feel right give up....dont hit the wall.....

street suspension, track transmission, sport traction and then turn the traction TC off

might not be a good idea w/o drag radials...something i would never do on the street

• Like Like x 1
  7. Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat
    Record Holder
    Fastest HC Charger/Record Holder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Racing our SRT8 cars, we have always turned of traction control for racing.

In the beginning while stock I turned off traction control.
    Just hold down the button, until you get the little icon showing traction control is off.

Sport mode actually keeps a little traction help if needed.

Linda:)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am not new to drag racing just these cars or for that matter any car with any kind of traction control. With my old cars you were on your own. These are good tips. I think I will start with full traction control on then work my way to none.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is the best option. Once you get a feel for the throttle then go traction full off (hold the traction button for 5+ seconds), street suspension, track transmission.

Most of the time, people leave the traction control full on and get better times because they plant the throttle off the line rather than feathering in to it while in full off mode.

10. Jettster

Jettster Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I ran my 10.8 in sport trans, sport traction and street suspension, barely loading the converter with a touch of throttle, feathering it out and steadily mashing to floor when it felt like it had hooked. IMG_1564 (1).JPG yes I had M/T drag radials @ 20 lbs cold-track setting cost me time...

• Like Like x 2
  11. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I ran 11.2 with traction on with no load on the converter. I'm sure you could bring it down to an 11 or 10.90-99 range with some load if traction doesn't engage. I'll test it next time out on the track.

12. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    It would be interesting to see a series of time slips from the same car, same same conditions, in different modes. Launch control vs. not. Traction on vs. limited vs. off. Etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. rw99

rw99 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    To get your best ET (with drag radials) I think you'll need to keep TC completely off. You're turning it off for the burnout; just leave it as-is.

Good throttle control provides the best launch; start with a moderate stall rpm (A8, obviously) and an even throttle roll to WOT... not slow roll, but not a stab. Get a sense of current traction and then consider maxing the stall rpm (first) and speeding up that throttle roll (second). Above all, be prepared to lift if traction is lost.

If you're in a three-pedal car... I think it's all about avoiding wheelhop on a prepped surface. That's how you'll break stuff. Not sure if any specific TC setting might help/hinder this...

Rich

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. GreenPirate

GreenPirate SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes for sure. It's a completely different experience with the M6. I'd suggest that street mode is best until one learns the behavior of the car at WOT in the first three gears. It breaks traction, even with traction control on non-prepped surfaces. Road surface, road temperature, and camber all make a difference.
    It's really a fun experience to learn how the car responds under all circumstances, then to just make it dance!:D

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Killer Kat

Killer Kat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice run!