Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by StellasHC, Nov 20, 2015.

1. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just going through my timeslips form this past season, and was reminded of something that I have been wondering about everytime I go to the track. ..

My "issue" is that, everytime I go to the track, my FIRST pass of the day is always the best... 60' times bring consistent, my times slow by a couple hundreths on consecutive passes as well as losing a touch of mph...

I keep things very consistent, between runs... for instance, I wait 45-60 minutes from the time I arrive to my first run...then always a 45-60 minute cool down between passes. But in every instance, the car keeps running a bit slower pass after pass...

Any body have any thoughts as to why this happens, or if people are seeing the same..

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sublimecat

Sublimecat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Trans temp?

3. StellasHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

May be... next year, I'm going to keep an eye on things like that in order to figure out just why thishould might be happening..

4. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes I have the same problem and I have went straight on the track after driving there with out letting it cool down so you would think the trans would be hotter then. I'm more leaning toward the fact I'm always trying to make a nice clean pass and after that, I think I know what I'm so it all goes to hell fast.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It could be the ambient temp or your cooldown period. Or it could be geography. I think the barometric pressure will change with the time of day in some cases. Like Bakersfield always seems to do better than the ACTUAL elevation would suggest. Bakersfield in in a gigantic bowl, isolated from the ocean/coast.

I know my first pass is always more likely to be more of a cooldown even if I try to keep it to 1 hr intervals. I am in line waiting to get in or in line at tech etc. So I cannot control it. Also if you race during the day the ambient is always going to be increasing run after run. Or, vise versa if you run at night.

I think it is funny another thread on axle and drive shaft breakage was saying the cold temps were making the parts brittle. Yes the cold temps were breaking the parts........because the ENGINE was making more power, enough to break the parts.

My car seems to be more responsive to changing ambient temp and the less responsive to the length of the cooldown.

I initially thought my car was a little off on Performance. But I did look up the DA on one of the pure stock with DR runs that were 103 MPH in the 1/8th and saw that the run was in 41 deg weather with good barometric pressure. The coolest temp I have run in was 59 deg and I know my car runs way better at 41 deg. So I think 103 is do-able since I did run 101 at 59 deg. Not many chances out here for me to run at that DA.

Do you most times run at night?

6. StellasHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I run both day and night.. My 10.62 @130.9 run was done during the day... around noon and DA was -108 I believe, with a temp right around 50*... don't remember the actual Bar. pressure though

7. Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat
    Record Holder
    Fastest HC Charger/Record Holder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I think you are just so excited for the first run of the day. :cool:
    My times usually get a little better each , but I think that's just the driver not the car :rolleyes:

Linda:)

8. StellasHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Actually, I'm thinking I should stay away from the concession stand in between runs... stuffing my face isn't good for ETs...:)

9. Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat
    Record Holder
    Fastest HC Charger/Record Holder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    lol and BTW my car is hauled in nice and cool on our trailer. Iced down also between runs.

Linda:)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i recommend going #2 and also ejaculating after your first run....GLD has a hole in the stall to help do both things at the same time.....thats how i got my best time.....

see you in the spring

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. StellasHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Lol!!! That isnt you on the other side of that wall, is it?!?!?! Too funny!!

12. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    no that will never be me.....i do thank you and owe you for installing my drive shaft(and breaking your tools while doing it), but i was thinking of a few free meals at the track or Gus's drive in.....what were you hoping for?

not that there is anything wrong with being bi-curious and holes in mens room stalls...i want to stay politically correct here in the year 2016.....to each his own......i prefer the ladies

youve been w/o my f'd up humor for a few months......ill have to kick up my twisted mind for some good ones come spring......let me know when its in the 50's and your going to GLD---i started up my HC a couple weeks ago.....still works

• Like Like x 1
  13. StellasHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I am looking at going out April 21st.. it is the first Slick and Drag Radial night.. should be some good prep..

14. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have you considered the track prep going away gradually?

15. StellasHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Funny thing is, my 60' times are within thousandths of each other.. I'm almost wondering if the car is seeing a bit of knock on that first pass and pulling some timing....