Anybody having this issue with their Xpel??

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Detailing' started by MzKitty, Jun 10, 2015.

1. MzKitty

MzKitty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    About a month ago I had Xpel and Cquartz finest put on MzKitty. When I picked her up there were a couple of spots that they said would go away in a day or two they were small and I wasn't to worried. I took her home and was able to drive her for a day before all the rain it here in Texas began. She spent the next two weeks under her car cover staying dry. When I was able to to take her out again I noticed that I had a line on the hood and some of the bubbles were still there so I called my installer He said no problem bring her back in and he would take a look and fix if needed.

So on Monday I took her back in thinking she would be there for 1.5 day for hood to be redone. When the installer looked at her hood he said the big line I was seeing was from where they had to lift the film to readjust the piece. He also noticed some other flaws the biggest being that in places on the hood and the fenders it looked distorted. He told me he was going to call his sales rep that he might have a bad roll of film. So my last update as of yesterday was that Expel wants to pick up my car on Thursday take off all of the film on the hood, fenders, bumpers. I've been told that it could be a bad roll or that the car seems to get hotter than normal.

I have never owned a vehicle that I have felt the need to put Xpel or Cquartz on so I'm new to this and my questions are:
    1. Will I always be able to see the Xpel it's not super noticeable but I know it's there? I can't say that it looks as good as one of my HD screen protectors on my phone or tablet should it?
    2. Should it look distorted?
    3. Has anyone had issues with theirs and been told that the hood is hotter than normal and that might be causing the distortion?
    4. How long can I really expect the Xpel and cquartz to last I know what the installer says but ....?
    5. Do I just really need to wash and dry on a regular basis for maint no waxing for 2 years?
    6. I'm told that I have two coats of cquarts finest on her so how much beading should I see? It rained on her the other day and I had beading but I guess I was expecting more. I would really like to have it put on my RAM3500 but I can't justify the cost to my hubby because he wasn't impressed with the cquartz finest. Said I could have had her waxed a lot cheaper and looked as good.

line in hood.jpg
    I have attached a picture of the line. The line start towards the bottom left and runs up to the top right hand corner. Ignore the leaf that landed on the car while taking the picture.

I have also included a picture after I washed it guess I was expecting it to look more like glass after two coats. Maybe my expectations are two high. What do you think? Wash.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  2. Dragon

Dragon Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    dam I see the line....not cool.

expel
    I was going to get expel until after I saw it installed on a red car...not a fan
    expel is really just a paint protection and yes I did see some small distortions when you look really close.
    I weighed the options of fixing the rock chips or replacing a full bumper expel sheet if something happened to it....much cheaper to repair without expel on it.
    my biggest fear is in the AZ heat what is it going to be like in 5 or 10 years.... I know its guaranteed but AZ heat is super extreme and nothing lasts that long in the heat. I did not want to chance that.
    don't get me wrong expel is a great product but just not for me.

CQuartz finest
    now this is a awesome to make your car shine and easy to maintain....again not for me I will just clay bar it and wax it myself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. MzKitty

MzKitty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Is red not a good color to have xpel on?

Know all about that AZ heat spent 2 years building a cement plant in Drake. Luckily we spent the first year in Williams which has wonderful temps since it's in the mountains but spent the last year in Paulden and boy was it hot. Nothing but dirt and tumbleweeds and windy.

4. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i have had xpel done to all 3 of my vehicles.....the first guy was horrible....had to take it back now 4x's and found a spot where its peeling again...im probably going to just accept it and move on...i may give him a bad internet review.....i hav ea few distorted spots like that on his work

my HC and GT500 were done by a different guy....much better results....had some bubbles in the HC where he had to smooth them out...but otherwise ive had no issues with either....i can see a bubble here or there on the sides...its not 100% perfect....if your looking for perfect i dont think its going to be possible....

i think you got a bad installer....i doubt its a bad roll...he had to pull or stretch it and it made a mark....

i wax mine along with the rest of the car.......if i get on my knees looking for flaws i can find them.....from normal looking i see nothing...my hoods are all perfect....they make sure top surfaces are flawless....its the sides and bumpers where the issues are...

tear it off and have it redone by someone else if you want perfection....after 4x's with my original guy ive given up...he just sucked(all installers were exact same price)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    sounds like a waste of money, think I'll protect it the old fashioned way....wax

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Several installers have told me they sometimes do get bad film but the warranty backs it.

If they set and lift the film to readjust you can get lines and stuff that don't go away. To me this looks more like an installer issue than a bad film issue but let them remove it and make it right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. kbench55

kbench55 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Not a waste of money at all, if installed right. I have on my challenger and jeep and it works awesome. I have the self healing and a little rock ding fixes itself after a day in the sun. I will never have a vehicle that doesn't have the xpel on it. My installer is very OCD which is a good thing when it comes to these things. I thought he had done a great job on my challenger and he saw a small imperfection (that I couldn't see) and he ripped off the entire hood and started over.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nitewing

Nitewing Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Don't know about Xpel, but the CQuartz has worked absolutely awesome for me. Water beads up like no wax I've ever seen. Car comes clean super easy and looks as good as day one every single time. I wash it once or twice a week as weather or schedule allows but it comes clean so easy I get it done in no time. May not be for everyone, but so far I love the stuff.

• Like Like x 3
  9. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i will be doing Xpel on every car i own from this point forward

my only issue has been wax builds up on the xpel line...i have to almost dig it out......otherwise you get a white like where the expel ends......Zaino isnt too bad, but liquid gold is almost impossible to remove

• Like Like x 1
  10. MzKitty

MzKitty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    He did say the line was from when the lifted and probably stretched. I don't think he is a bad installer I know another forum member used him and I don't believe he has had any issues. On the bright side I should end up with a expert job since the corporate office in San Antonio is supposed to be redoing it on Thursday.

I'm not looking for perfection my installer was more worried about my paint perfections than I was. I'm just trying to figure out what it should look like since I have never done this and have never seen a vehicle with it installed.

Not sure I could handle having to have it done 4 times. It's killing me to have to go a week without her again especially since we have Sunshine in good ole Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I did clear bra on my 08 SRT8 and it still looks perfect today. If you have it done insist on the very best.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MzKitty

MzKitty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with the easy wash I haven't washed my cars in years I usually pay someone to wash and wax. I decided I was going to give it a shot with MzKitty and my first wash was fairly easy. I just foamed her up and used a micro fiber mitt to wipe her and rinse her off. When I rinsed her I wasn't impressed with the beading and maybe that is because I saw a picture on this forum off all these perfect little round drops of water on a car that I believe if I remember correctly had cquartz on it. I didn't see that I saw some beading and I saw some long skinny oblong puddles of water. It that what I should see with 2 coats?

13. Nitewing

Nitewing Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Water beads up like perfect on mine. Maybe the shop didn't do such a good job with yours? I'm no expert, as this is the first vehicle I've gotten this done on but I have no complaints so far.

14. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If not happy, take it back and find another shop. JMVHO

• Like Like x 1
  15. MzKitty

MzKitty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No worries if I'm not happy I can be a hellcat on wheels and will stay on them until I am happy. I guess my problem is I don't know what to it should look like. I'm judging everything off of the pictures I have seen here on the forum. I probably should have seen it in person on a car first. There is a remarkable difference between my before cquartz finest and after It was like night and day. Guess I just need to see if there is anyone here in San Anontio or close by that has had this done and would let me take a look at their car.