Anyone Have Any Rattles or NVH Issues?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Ironside, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Ironside

Ironside Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So, like nearly EVERY Chrysler I've ever owned, this one is not immune to a few minor (but slightly annoying) NVH issues.

I'll have to track them down and silence them but I thought I'd ask if anyone else has noticed anything with their Challengers?

I noticed I get a rattle from my driver side window, but ONLY when the window is shut. If you drop the window a bit or open it entirely it is gone (and it only rattles with the door SHUT).

In fact, if you lightly hit your hand on the top of the door, you can hear it - not sure what is causing this.

Also, on the HIGHWAY (100km/h+) I have noticed a rattling/vibration sound coming from the rear driver's side. I had a large plastic bin in my trunk with cleaning supplies (in case of bird crap etc) and it SOUNDED like the plastic lid vibrating. Further inspection has revealed the sound is NOT coming from the bin, but that's the best way I can describe it.

I'm terrified to have to leave my car at the Dealership and say "fix this issue that only shows up at HIGHWAY SPEEDS"

YIKES!

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Brampton Builder

Brampton Builder Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Try the key in the lock cylinder in the drivers door and see if it works , I've seen they sometimes forget to clip the rod that goes from the key cylinder to the handle and this will rattle. You don't notice the rod loose as you probably never use the key to unlock the door also the plastic rear wheel liners are prone to move at highway speed and make noise as the rub against the metal body

• Useful Useful x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Ironside

Ironside Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Interesting; I'll try the key thing tomorrow and report back.

Is there anything that can be done about the plastic rear wheel liners, if that is in fact the cause of the noise?

4. Harts

Harts Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was having a slight rub/flap type sound from LR. Took into dealer and the inner fender well was "deformed, probably due to shipping" is what I was told. They ordered the part and I pick the car up on Saturday, I'll let you know if that solved the noise.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I also have noticed a very slight buzz/ticking vibration sound coming from the driver's side rear.
    It almost sounds just like you described and what I was thinking, the thin rear fender wheel well liner vibrating or buzzing or something.
    I was going to see if my wife can drive the car and I would sit in the back to see if I can diagnose it.

It's very minor and I only hear it if the radio is off and at highway speeds.
    So to me, it seems like wind from the higher speeds is causing something to vibrating causing that little sound.

But like you are apparently, I am a bit sensitive to rattles or ticking or buzzing sounds in my cars too.
    I always have to find out where they are coming from and silence them.
    But gotta tell you, it's rare for ANY of the dozens of cars that I've owned for this not to be the case at some point.
    Usually it starts within the first 5k miles of every car as the car starts to loosen up a bit.

Let me know if you find the source to that noise coming from the driver's side rear too.
    I have a feeling we may be hearing same thing.
    And also feel it may exist in every car, just some people don't notice or pay attention to those little noises...or just tune them out and don't care, or just drive with the stereo on all the time and never notice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Me too on the driver side buzz-periodic...I am glad i am not the only one. The wheel liners are paper thin-I have actually in 30 years of driving, fixing, and f@#$ing -up perfectly good cars and bikes, never seen plastic so thin.

7. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a small vibration from the drivers side door...seems like the front right under window. I haven't figured out what it is yet, and it happens when the bass hit at normal volumes.

NVH= Noise, vibration, harshness

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  8. Harley88

Harley88 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  9. Fiveinch

Fiveinch Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I have THE same noise on my SRT 392...

10. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    nice to know even in 2015 they can't fix rattling while even acura solved that issue back in the early 2000's

11. Jugrnt

Jugrnt Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Same problem...same driver side area. Oh boy.

12. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hate rattles and squeaks. I'd have to tear the car apart to sort it if I have this problem on my Challenger. Let us know what you find.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. SublimeHellcat

SublimeHellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    BB I have no Hellcat, VON HELL, here, but I too am hearing noises....well not really noises....more like voices in my head....Anything you can do to help with that?:confused:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Well if you have a Challenger it seems that little buzzing/ticking/vibration sound once you get up to highway speed, is normal.
    I'd bet it is coming from the thin plastic wheel well liner. The wind is catching it just right and vibrating something in there.
    I don't know how you could possibly diagnosis it since it would be hard to tell which part it's coming from.
    When I have some free time, maybe I'll just get some good spray glue and spray it where ever I can on the inside/underside of the wheel well liner, see if that solves it.
    Or get some spray foam and do the same, see if it stops the vibrating/buzzing.

Granted it's not really loud, you have to have the stereo off or down really low to hear it, and I'll have to check again, but I don't recall hearing it unless I was going at least highway speed. So to me, that clearly means it's coming from the excessive wind blowing something around.

I also agree, i've never had a car with such thin wheel well liners either.
    Guess they were doing absolutely everything they could to save a pound or two here and there.
    But I'd take adding a few more pounds to the car, to have better quality wheel well liners.

15. Harts

Harts Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Picked up the car today, weather (drizzle) is not best for test drive to see if noise is totally gone from right rear. If tomorrow is nice I will take out for a while and see if that took care of it. Was impressed that they were able to get inner fender well replacement in two days, and installed! I saw it on the lift and the resonator is right behind the plastic, lots of heat there. Hopefully won't happen again.

Was impressed with the Dealer and Dodge overall in handling it so quick. With any luck that might be my only issue with the car!