Anyone know how to fix this clear coat problem?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Carnage, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The first time I had my car in the dealership body shop, the estimator who quit the day he delivered my car in a hurry before moving onto his new job at another dealership, he took a green micro fiber towel and put paint thinner lacquer liquid of some sort and rubbed it on my hellcat's rear right panel to remove some tape residue that remained behind due to it being stuck on there from the paint job from before.

The paint guy quit the day before.

The second chance after the insurance and the dealership manager pleaded for us to give him they rebuffed my entire car but still not perfect and my right rear still has a slight green tint to it.

Just found out today from my sales guy the body shop manager is gone too.

With that said, does anyone know if I use a clean white Microfiber towel that is super soft with whatever paint thinner lacquer or acrylic lacquer brand you recommend with that it will rub the green tint color out of my clear coat of the paint instead of having to get another body shop to strip the coat and paint and re do and blend it all over again?

I'm so sick of having issues slowly fixed.

Thanks for reading and any help in advance is appreciated.

2. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Might that not have been Goo Gone or Goof Off paint remover?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Any type of automotive thinner would have been to "hot" to apply to fresh clear coat. That guy was clueless. Now that it's done, I would have a professional try and wet sand and buff the panel in question. (1500 then 2000 grit) If that doesn't work, or they sand thru the clear coat, the panel will have to be sanded and clear coated again. No way of knowing how deep the green towel's dye penetrated the clear coat. It's going to be a personal decision, but if you are the only one that can pick up on it, let it go. If others can see it, have the work done.
    Maybe some paint guys can chime in, but I personally wouldn't put any more thinner on that panel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would let mother nature take this for awhile. Good old UV sun may take that green tint out depending on how bad it is. Any chance you can capture it in a pic?

5. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Run fast and far away from that dealership.

Sounds like you pick'em like I do. My last few salesmen (at different dealerships) all quit a few days after selling me a car/truck. Turn over is to high in the city to actually establish a relationship with people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. magnummrk

magnummrk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have yet to see my car in bright sunlight. When I took delivery it was a overcast day when they delivered it. I did not notice anything wrong UNTIL my detail guy came over to evaluate the paint for the CQuartz process. When he shined his light on the drivers side of the car you could see that someone (had to be at the dealer) thought it would be a good idea to buff the side of the car. He is 100% confident he can prep the car and do his magic and get rid of everything.

Have the dealer pay for a CQUartz process applied by a certified detailer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would not use thinner on it. Maybe just try and use old fashion elbow grease with some good wax.

Probably needs a professional wet sand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. magnummrk

magnummrk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have used silicone and wax remover in the past to get grime off of cars..works pretty good

9. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you guys for the replies. Here is a pic before the first paint job with paint filler prepped by the hellcat certified body shop guy.

This same corner, the one closest to the tire and rear bumper area is where the tape was sitting on and removed after the paint job was done and also the area where the estimator who quit rubbed that stupid green towel and lacquer to remove the tape residue.

The body shop manager who left recently told me 2 weeks ago that his body shop guy who worked on my hellcat saw my estimator use the green towel with lacquer to rub the residue off causing this problem.

I dont think I have a pic of the green illuminating in the sunlight but my State Farm inspection agent took some a while back.
    image.jpg

10. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    that pictue just tore me up:(

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I used to work at a new car dealer,, and wet used Mineral spirits to remove all kinds of things from cars,, grease on seats, scuff marks,, paint on tires,, May want to give it a try

12. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well it's the body shop that's having high turnovers

13. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well I'm getting a pro buff and clay bar wax, they gonna see if the green goes away. If not I'll just have to wait later this year to strip and repaint with a pro shop

14. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Or,, you can wrap the car like your were talking about...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah I plan to wrap the rear only if I can to not spend $2700 on a full body wrap

• Agree Agree x 1