Anyone running Diablo 91oct?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Aaron Vogel, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I saw some posts about 93 octane, and custom tunes etc. More just wondering, has anyone used just their stock tune on 91 octane? Any improvements there and shift firmness?

2. Immo

Immo Moparpalooza

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Unless you live in an area that doesn't sell 93 why would you use the 91 tune? I believe the only reason for the 91 tune is for California where you can't buy 93?

HighHorseman ?

3. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    And that is why i asked about 91 octane :p They usually provide a 91 oct and 93 oct tune, so was just curious if anyone has been running the 91 oct one or not.

4. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't have access to anything above 91 octane...as well. I'm also interested in hearing more about the 91 tune.

5. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hostorically with Diablosport tunes, the 91 tune with 93 octane 10% ethanol had less knock than running the 93 tune.

6. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No one has ran their stock performance tunes yet?

7. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm stuck with the shit 91 octane here in AZ as well. HHP did a very nice tune for my 08 SRT8 with 91 octane.

8. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i've used them to, but was referring more to the stock tunes Diablo supplies

9. HighHorseman

HighHorseman VIP Hellcat Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    The quality of 91 fuels throughout the US is never consistent. I've seen 91 fuel in SoCal react better than 93 in other areas of the country. Plus in areas way inland that are 2500' ASL or higher the lower octane isn't as much of a concern either since engines take more timing as you get up in elevation.

I've remote tuned a lot of 91 octane cats. In areas that offer 93 I would definitely insist you guys run the highest octane possible but when it's not available you gotta do what you gotta do. The factory tune is written for 93 octane I was told and the knock sensors are uber active so in areas of poorer quality fuel the computer will compensate and pull timing back as needed to protect the engine. When I do my custom tuning for the 91 octane cats with higher boost the first thing I have to do is go and remove a few degrees of timing just to be safe since we can't rely as much on the knock sensors nearly as much.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  10. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I remember you telling me that when i was there getting my PCP with the Edelbrock tuned by you, damn that was a long day haha.

11. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I need to talk to y'all in the spring, we have 91 octane...non-oxygenated in my area that I use in my performance vehicles. With your experience, do you not recommend additional boost for those running 91 octane? Because you have to pull extra timing out? Just trying to complete the picture for guys with only 91 octane.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm seriously considering a mild tune for my Hellcat. We are 91 octane only here in AZ and I want the extra performance but, I want it to be safe. My car is a street car and NOT a track car. Josh did a CMR e-mail tune for my 08 SRT8 Challenger back in 09 and I could not be happier. Please advise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HighHorseman

HighHorseman VIP Hellcat Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Personally I don't believe in octane booster's, they rarely ever work and when they do they barely raise the octane up much. Usually all they ever do is discolor the O2 sensor's and spark plugs. These motors are fine on 91 up to 15 pounds as long as they're safely tuned. I usually recommend to you guys that are putting them on the track to do dual tunes, one pump gas and one race gas. For extremely hard use race gas is by far your safest route to go, plus it is safer on a blower vehicle like these.

• Agree Agree x 2