Anyone running the MT 305 45 17's ?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by GrndFnk, Apr 21, 2016.

1. GrndFnk

GrndFnk VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I searched somewhat but didn't come up with much. I confess I didn't work at it real hard.
    Seems many are running the 18's and was wondering what air pressure people are using in the 17's, if anyone runs them.
    I have a set of 305/45-17 Street R's on the way for 10" Weld S-71's.
    Also, these are 28.1" tall and am I going to run into a problem with traction control or the antilock because of the shorter tire vs the fronts ?
    Thanks.

2. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The 17s will run fine on your car without issues. I have ran both and found (as many others have) the 18s hook better.

As far as pressure start at 20 and keep dropping by 1 until you find the best pressure for the conditions...don't go below 16 or she is going to get squirrelly...and turn traction control off at the track...it will just slow you down.

3. GrndFnk

GrndFnk VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They are actually for my other car but was going to try them on the cat. Would you consider the 17's better than the 20" MT street SS for traction ?
    Thanks

4. moparmangamble

moparmangamble Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    More sidewall the better for traction. More flex to put down the full tire footprint.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes and no...the taller tires also give vertical and horizontal patches...that is why most have found the 305/45/18 to hook better....some members here are in the 9s with 305/45/48 MT Street Rs.....I tested 17s and 18s on my 2013 stroker at the same track on the same day...the 18s were more consistent and hooked better....now if you are going all out a 15" with suspension changes will work well..

Two different animals..

• Like Like x 1