Anyone trade an A8 for an M6?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by cscott67, Jan 3, 2016.

1. cscott67

cscott67 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I bought a Jazzy blue 15 with the A8, and am considering trading for a PCP M6. (I like the car, its plenty fast, but kinda boring to drive unless racing) I get that it (M6) will be a little slower, but I am missing the three pedals and control of the madness! (I have a shelby cobra and a gt40 that are stick as well)

Any thoughts? Thanks, Scott

• Like Like x 1
  2. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    the manual is fun, but the clutch is bad, prepare to buy a spendy clutch and gamble on wether it holds up. plus getting the trans in and out is a major job, I don't know what the R and R is on it but I bet a full day in the least. makes the maintenance free A8 seem a bit nice. Also i'm tired of guessing how much clutch to give my car. it would be nice to stomp on the gas and go.

3. 007

007 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The m6 is a blast, after u get an aftermarket clutch. I put a bad boyzz clutch in mine, and have been driving it like I stole it. My half mile and mile times are same as an auto. Haven't had the time after clutch install to make any 1/4 mile passes.

• Like Like x 2
  4. CharlieS

CharlieS Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My Scat Pack was an M6. I made sure to get the A8 with my HC. No regrets. The manual was fun, but IMO the A8 is too good to pass up. It's quicker than the M6 and the most intuitive auto I've driven.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a big write up i did for another member here about the difference between the A8 and M6. I am fortunate enough to have owned both.

6. cscott67

cscott67 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

7. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    loved the M6 but honestly i do not regret it for a single day. The m6 was fun and the cluth is easy to use, does not get tiresome. Granted my city the entire metro area is around 200....250k people. It you had to sit in traffic for more than 10 mins it would be rare. However i drove the m6 all over the place and never really thought twice about it at the time. I also didn't have any clutch issues such as burning it up and what not, and i am very hard on my vehicles. I raced it on track several times.

To be completely honest i felt the m6 was lacking. That sounds crazy but from all the videos, everybody's reaction, all the great press and publicity came from the A8. People always talked about lighting the tires up at any speed....thats the A8. The m6 you could floor in second and get really good pull but didn't have that holy crap wow factor. It fast don't get me wrong, but with the A8 the fact that its always in that powerband and will downshift and just throw u back is the feeling that i love. The m6 did not have that same thrill. Its hard to explain. The best way i can try to explain would be like...hmmm the m6 was like getting a bear hug with 1200 psi of pressure. The A8 is like getting punched in the chest by 1200 psi. Both have the same force but the A8 like winds up and socks you a good one haha.

A few more reasons why i prefer the A8 over the M6. My gf can drive it no problem. My dad, my mom, friends that I want to show off to can drive it and i don't have to worry about them burning it up. I also race it. The best i could muster with the M6 was 11.69 with the A8 I can run 11.1 every time all day long. Sure its just barely over half a second but at 127 mph a half a second is a couple car lengths. Finally why the A8 was my clear choice is the technology. The M6 you can only change your suspension and traction. The A8 is head and shoulders better. You can change shift speed, suspension, traction and mix and match to your liking. I like the fast shifts which are in milliseconds but with a soft gentle suspension and some traction control. Also you get the auto start with the A8 which will automatically turn on the heat, heated steering wheel, heated seats depending on the temp. And do the same with the cooled seats if its hot...ac on cooled seats on and just perfect when you get into your car. Quick flashback to the M6 i was stuck in 5 o'clock traffic in Minneapolis with both A8 and M6 and realized only after having the A8 that it did kinda suck with the m6.

You can't go wrong with either car but i vote for A8. I was a little worried I'd get bored not banging my own gears but seriously i don't. The thrill of knowing i can wiggle my big toe and have the car scream to life in an instant is all i need. This was just a quick copy and paste job of convo i had with another member here. Any questions lemme know

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. cscott67

cscott67 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I will look for the other threads.

9. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i think you will be the first...ive known 2 or maybe 3 who switched from M6 to A8.....but 0 the other way around

if you own other Manuals why do you want your HC to also be a manual???? dont you like your cars to be as different as possible???? im happy my HC is a A8 and my Gt500 is a M6.....it makes them different animals to drive.....

also dont you want your car to be as fast as possible?....isnt that the purpose of a muscle car? would you pick other options which would make it slower if they were available? if they had a different rear end ratio which was for mileage and made the car slower would you pick it??.......or would you pick a ratio(if available) which got better performance???? (i know the answer)....so why get a M6 to be 1/2 a second slower??

keep the A8...its amazing....i think its the most amazing part of the car

10. cscott67

cscott67 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Huggy,
    Going fast is an elixir for sure, and we are ALL hooked on it here. The cobra is faster out of the hole and 1/4 mile with me shifting. (not a car you want to be going 160 in on open roads) The gt40 is rock solid above 100, and very fast and nimble on a road course. The cat is much more refined compared to those two. So it really is a different experience altogether. I know it doesn't sound right to say I get bored driving it around commuting, but it is not as much fun as my manual cars in that regard. (and the fact is there is a whole lotta life between the 10secs at a time fun runs)

I know its not as fast, but its not my race car. I truly wish they had put the damn thing on a serious diet. I realize it would cost more, but I think it could easily have been put into the exotic/supercar category for 100g msrp and some CF/aluminum materials. Anyway, I do really like the A8 trans!! Reminds me a lot of some of the Ferraris I have driven. Thanks for your response, S

• Like Like x 1
  11. 1949chopper

1949chopper NC STATE PRESIDENT Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like you answered your own question in the first post. I personally love the m6. Who cares if its .5 seconds faster. Always someone faster. Plus I like the challenge at the track. I'm there for MY fun. Could care less about the number. Get the m6. It's way more fun the 99% you're on the street

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  12. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As far as manuals go the M6 is a great trans. Clutch is smooth and linear. What it lacks is a 7th gear. Highway cruising is much nicer with the A8. Daily driver I'd go with the A8

13. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If funds permit then perhaps consider keeping your A8 and buy an M6 then after spending some time with the M6 decide which variant to keep... Keep in mind the powertrain warranty for MY16 has been reduced.

14. cscott67

cscott67 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    USMC,
    What kind of rpm difference between the two is there at 70 or 80mph? (I live in Daytona and one can't drive anywhere here less than 80mph...)

• Like Like x 1
  15. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was another that traded a M6 for the A8... my advice.... unless you are doing bracket racing, or plan on hitting up the track multiple times a year... buy the M6...

I live 15 minutes from the track and really enjoy going out and running the car every couple weeks or so...and it's proven, by myself and countless others, that the clutch isn't going to hold up to track abuse... but just going for a drive with the family, or having a little fun on the street...the A8 just lacks in comparison. The M6 Hellcat is JUST THAT MUCH MORE FUN...

DISCLAIMER... if you don't know how to REALLY DRIVE a manual transmission car...stick with the A8. I can see how people get this idea that the M6 is so much slower, and boring... but I will bet they can't drive a stick shift car worth a damn...

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2