Apple CarPlay coming to every major car brand except Toyota

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Carnage, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Source roadandtrack

Apple CarPlay coming to every major car brand

image.jpg

Today's a big day for Apple fans: The company hosted a major event to detail the soon-to-be-released Apple Watch and the newly upgraded MacBook. But lest you think the event was just a drool-fest for techies, there was a significant piece of automotive news: Apple CarPlay will soon be found in dashboards across the auto industry.

Yes, while Apple CEO Tim Cook was onstage hawking the latest smartwatch and whisper-thin laptop, he announced the big future moves for the company's in-dash software. "Now every major car brand has committed to delivering CarPlay," Cook says, noting that 40 models will ship with the software this year.

That's big news for in-car tech: Unlike the janky, infuriating, almost invariably out-of-date software of most in-car entertainment systems, Apple's CarPlay—and Android Auto, Google's competitor—are designed in-house by mobile tech experts. Allowing Apple and Google to design our dashboard software promises a smoother, more familiar experience that's as familiar as your smartphone's screen.

Cook didn't go into specifics about which manufacturers have signed on for Apple CarPlay, but it sounds like the software will be nearly ubiquitous in new cars. We already know that Ferrari and Mercedes-Benz feature the software, as does the soon-to-be-released Volvo XC90.

Notably absent from the list is Toyota, which has repeatedly insisted it will stick with its own in-dash software. "We may all eventually wind up there, but right now we prefer to use our in-house proprietary platforms," Toyota tech communications manager John Hanson told The New York Times last month. But the more the merrier, we say—especially if Apple's speedy rollout encourages equally widespread market coverage from Android.

Oh, and if you can't afford a new vehicle with CarPlay, perhaps you'll be interested in the Apple Watch, which will let you hail a ride from Uber without having to reach into your pocket for your iPhone. Think of the time you'll save!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Man I hope it will be just an update for thus head unit. I was kinda bumped it not already equipped

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah me too I used to be anti apple until android and blackberry started screwing up my business communications on my phone lines. Now I hope to add one of these bad boys to the hellcat and sync up with iTunes etc :)

4. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Meh.

April

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. magnummrk

magnummrk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Apple is evil!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How cute lol :rolleyes:

7. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    :rolleyes: Hater lol

8. magnummrk

magnummrk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    of so many things!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LOL

10. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am not one of those people that cannot function/live without their mobile phone clutched in their hand. I have no problem whatsoever doing without the stupid phone while I am driving the car. Anything that needs to be said to me can wait until I am no longer behind the wheel, so I do not need the thing mounted on my dash. Just sayin ...

April

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Same here. The days I let the cell phone stay on the night stand I feel so relaxed and enjoy life more.