Are these products safe/recommended?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Appearance' started by Rob K, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Rob K

Rob K Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Wheels image.jpg paint image.jpg

For hood scoops and plastic around front and back of car.

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice hands and watch LOL jokes aside I like the meguiar I have a lot of their stuff but that's personal preference. For plastic shine I also use black magic pro shine protectant 31700 model

3. Rob K

Rob K Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So the PVD & Allimunim cleaner is safe?

4. Profezzor X

Profezzor X Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I've used Meguiar's for decades on my show cars and daily drivers. I prefer their (pink) tire gel because it literally lasts for weeks.

5. Bootstrap

Bootstrap Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I'm always really cautious about wheel cleaners, they can do far more damage than good. Try a small discreet area first (maybe the barrel of the wheel behind a spoke). My preference is Adams Green Wheel Cleaner - it's not that strong but doesn't touch the wheel. Then I use Chemical Guys Wheel Wax. That way it's easier to get rid of the brake dust when it does hit.

6. Bootstrap

Bootstrap Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Oh and get yourself a good set of "Wheel woolies" - these are the best detailing item I have in my kit. They get in every nook and cranny of the wheel without scratching them.

7. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I"m not familiar with that particular wheel cleaner. See if it is for bare or coated aluminum.... If it is for bare aluminum don't use it as it probably has acid.

While not cheap I'd really suggest at least trying Sonnax Full Effect Wheel cleaner. Won't find it local but Amazon or any detail site has it. It's 100% safe, PH balanced and NOTHING (and I've tried everything) cleans whees like this stuff. Spray it on, let it sit until it turns purple (minute or so), agitate and rinse.

Also, NEVER NEVER wash your wheels unless they are stone cold (don't wash after driving). The heat in the wheel and brakes makes any chemical you put on react differently (it reacts stronger). It also drys faster. You never want any of this stuff drying on the wheel.

8. bfusion

bfusion Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    not sure on the CQuartz finest on my car yet, but I might try the CQuartz pro on my wheels and calipers. I can do that myself and maybe it will help with the brake dust.problem. Anyone try that yet?

9. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Rob K I went to the Eagle One website. They state the product is PH balanced. That's good. It's the acidic or alkaline wheel cleaners that tend to be very strong and tend to do finish damage unless you really understand what type of wheel they are meant for and use them properly.

What confuses me is that it says it is for aluminium, polished aluminum and PVD coatings (positive vapor discharge). I find this confusing because they don't mention clear coated wheels or painted wheels. It makes me think this is for more of a bare aluminum (polished or satin) type wheel. Your wheels are painted. It may be a great product (a lot of the Eagle One stuff is good IMO off the shelf stuff) but if it was my car I would either not use it OR be super careful (don't let it sit long).

The Dodge literature that came with the car recommends ONLY soap and water to clean your wheels.

Our wheel finish looks very cheap to me.

I'm not trying to knock this product but I'm not sure it is right for our Hellcat wheels. Hate to see you do damage to the wheels. If you do try it be careful.

Soap and Water is good but unless you clean your wheels often after a while you will never get everything off them. My personal favorite is Sonnax as I said above and I've used it on my Hellcat wheels with NO issues at all.

10. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My wheels and calipers are treated with Opti-Coat Pro (best way to describe this product is that it is a competitor to CQuartz Pro). I just started driving my car yesterday so I can't say if it helps but I imagine it will. Remove the wheels and treated all metal surfaces on the wheel (front, back, barrel spokes -- everything). I did the front calipers but not the back. Fronts get a lot more dirty and I was sort of interested in seeing if there seems to be a big difference.

I should know in a few weeks if it works or night. I did get the cat out last night for about 50 miles (444 miles now). It won't be long before I need to wash LOL.

11. bfusion

bfusion Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Fricking internet!! Did you do the exterior? I was considering Opti as there is a dealer by me

12. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've been using most of the OptiCoat line of products for years. I really, really like the stuff. It's not over hyped and exceeds the claims. In the past I've used OptiCoat 2.0 which I like a lot. The new version of OptiCoat 2.0 is called OptiCoat Gloss. The pro only version is OptiCoat Pro.

I went with the OptiCoat Pro on the entire exterior paint, plastic and lights, all windows except the windshield and the wheels (front brake calipers).

I had to use a pro detailer as the Pro is not available to the public (I tried a few sources I have but no go). In my case it wasn't really worth it as my paint really needed no correction but I wanted to try the product. I probably just should have gone with the Opti Coat Gloss but the Pro should last.

I'll see how I like it. I' not knocking CQuartz Finest in the least. I've never used it. I just went with Opti Coat Pro as it is a trusted brand I"m familiar with.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Rob K

Rob K Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    SRT_HC_707 that's just what I was looking for. Thank you. I guess it's short lived anyway, getting tint and CQuarts put on Early next week. I'll ask him about what to use then. But I'm fine with soap and water if necessary.

Think soap and water are safe when wheels hot/warm?

Someone else mentioned the chemical guys. I've had a few people suggest their stuff. I'll check that out. As with most things in my life, this has become quite a project...I've had her home for 6 days now and washed her 4. I want it to looks as nice as possible....in representing all HC's out there!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wouldn't wash the wheels when warm. If they are just warm hose them down for a while with some water from the hose to help cool them off. Warm to the touch is fine but not screaming hot.

Chemical guys has a lot of products. Some are excellent, others not so much.. I've tried all their wheel cleaners (still have some) and I'm not impressed with any of them....

I'll say it again... Amazon.com Sonax 230200-755 Wheel Cleaner Full Effect - 16.9 fl. oz. Automotive Trust me... I did all the legwork trying these out for years. I buy this in 5 liter jugs LOL

Sonax is pricey. A great way to do it is use soap and water and every few times use the Sonax. It will be the best money you ever spent on a wheel cleaner (I know I sound like a sales rep. but I avoided this stuff for a long time due to the cost -- big mistake on my part).

15. fflundy

fflundy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I really like the Chemical Guys products that I have ordered! Mr Pink, 50/50 wax, Black Light wax, foam cannon etc... I need to address my wheels and tires now, so thanks for the thread! Enjoy the Hellcat!!