Are wider rims worth it?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Blake, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Blake

Blake Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do you think it's worth it to order new wider rims to go with 315's or stick with 305's on the stock rims? I'm currently running 295 p zeros, but am still having bad traction problems. I'm trying to avoid drag radials as it's an everyday driver, but i'm not sure if I can avoid dr's for better traction at this point. Any recommendations?

2. Garfield

Garfield Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Specifics!

What width rim and what tire?

10" rims seem to be the limit with proper BS so far.. But it all depends on the exact tire you want to run.. There are many 315 you can run fine on a 9" rim.. Many you can but won't gain any more actual contact patch, and many that you just flat out shouldn't.. Then there is also the issue of your intentions and where you are. It's all about possible side wall flex, wheel wells, sway bar clearance etc.. We don't have a lot of room to work with.. But with proper planning you can go slightly over a 315.

What are you trying to accomplish?

3. nycAirSpeed

nycAirSpeed Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    - I believe, I'm no expert, the only way to increase the size of a contact patch &, not simply change the shape, is to increase tire height. Changing to a wider tire simply changes the contact patch to a shorter wider one, creating under-steer, a condition that helps manage power by keeping you strait, but less able to turn. The Illusion that, as another example, deflating a tire will increase 'traction', can be explained by the torque shock absorbing twist-flexing of loose material within the underinflated tread & sidewall, like using too much pressure to grab an underinflated balloon, power is being used to deform the tire; as the equipment is now absorbing the extra gusto & makin' heat, @ times this delivers a better balanced amount of power to the ground resulting in a quicker run. This is not a good solution for an unskillful driver's application of too much available power, the likelihood of a part breakin' seems much higher. -
    - The problem is that increasing the tire size usually increases inertia w/extra mass that is also further away from the axil/power focal point, much like the difference felt when you spin by hand a small 10" bicycle tire & then say a 20" tire; so ya need more power to turn the thing -
    - I think the Dodge & especially the SRT guys finally got the deliciously under-tired SRTs & SRT Hellcats just 'American muscle car' right. Sticky enough to get 4300 lbs to 60 in about 4.2 sec., & 4500 lbs in about 3.7, & quicker than that if your skilled & lucky, & that is simply outstanding!!!
    - You might be able to improve traction with upgraded suspension equipment, check out Speedlogix.
    - Some of the pride, the emotional involvement of these cars, to me, comes from the fact that these cars can exhibit your driving skills so much better than say a completely manageable Porsche something or other, where the variance between skilled & unskilled is much smaller.
    - I think the only other cars like ours, with regard to driver skill, may be the Miata & the Subie/Toyota twins, where low mass & no power achieves similar variances & emotional involvement. -
    ...I'm 'prolly delusional though -
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  4. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do a 10.5" with a 305/35 out back, or a skinny 315/35 (drag racing). Or just buy a rear set of 10.5" and mount your choice of several great drag radials or race only tires and use them only for race days.

For handling the stock set-up or very close to stock specs with lowering may be the ticket.

We have lots and lots of specific information on this Forum concerning sizes, backset, opinions and real life experience and times received. Must read for a while. In this Forum section. That red car above probably hooks well!

5. Hellcathopefull

Hellcathopefull Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Blake,

What size 295's are you running? 295/40R20's? Are you running that size all way around or just on the rear?

Thinking about going that route seeing getting wheels has been a lot more of a headache than I can stand.

Jason

6. Blake

Blake Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Better traction on the street while driving it everyday. I'd prefer not buying new rims I was just wanting some insight on the biggest and best tire for traction you can go on the stock rim.

7. Blake

Blake Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    295/35/20's in just the rear. Stock 275's up front

8. Hellcathopefull

Hellcathopefull Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's what im thinking on doing myself. I have heard jumping up to the 305-315's will give a balloon effect on the stock wheel. That has made me look hard at the 295 range.

does the 295's give it a wider look? Thinking about going 295/40 on the rear. Its tad bit taller but not that noticeable. just don't want to go lower profile and had a lot of gap in the fender.

Jason

9. Blake

Blake Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You can tell the difference from the back, but I haven't noticed any increase in traction. I'm thinking a 295 DR would be the best bet, but i'm looking into a DR that doesn't have dangerous wet performance for everyday driving..

10. Garfield

Garfield Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    DR's don't have dangerous wet performance you just have to drive reasonable... And if you need an everyday daily drive tire you don't want any DR's anyways unless you plan to buy them several times a year.. Heavy car and super soft tire is gonna barley get you to the grocery store before needing to be changed out. Get a good summer tire that you can at least get 10-20k mile from..

11. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I went with some Conti DWS in a 275/40, 295/40 setup. Traction was good in dry and wet conditions. I could have gone with the Conti DW but I wanted a tire with a high treadwear. These tires are made to keep you on the road when driving slightly spirited so I don't recommend whipping around turns like it's a RX7.

Since my Cat got hit and 2 wheels were replaced, I decided to take my stock wheels off and put them in storage. I went with Cooper RS3-S in a 275/40, 305/35 on 20x9, 20x10 replicas. So far I like the handling of this summer tire and minimal bulge on the rear wheel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1