Auto manufacturers want to make it illegal for you to work on your car

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by greenwithenvy, Aug 13, 2015.

1. greenwithenvy

greenwithenvy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They want to use the copyright law to make it a crime for you to work on your car. Their interest is in reclassifying a car as a piece of software, much like windows. Grasp that for a second. You don't own your copyrighted windows 10 software. You actually lease it. Their argument is the software today is a necessary part of the car.

So, you actually wouldn't own the car??? WTF???

So, all you people tuning or tweaking your cars may be thrown in jail for modifying FCA's car since you don't really own it......

Carmakers Want To Use Copyright Law To Make Working On Your Car Illegal

2. DShatzer

DShatzer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    DCMA exists. If I read the article and DMCA correctly, you own the car, and you can do routine maintenance. ECU changes/software upgrades require a written agreement with FCA, or a disclaimer "not for highway use". If in your example, you would "hack" Windows 10, and fry your computer( extreme example), the computer is still all yours, just no warranty repairs.
    FCA is responsible for the emissions performance of the vehicle, and any changes could cause them to be liable until they can prove it wasn't their approved software. The individual is also Federally liable for tampering with their emissions equipment, which today includes the ECU. I am not choosing sides, as I have seen this developing over the last 6+ years with tuners for the Ram Cummins Diesels. Nothing like going from 600-1200 ft lbs of torque with a tune.
    You can still change your own oil and change any components covered by Moss-Magnuson. Biggest thing to remember is if you use a tuner, you become your own warranty station.
    And I can't wait to see the first 'Cat in the 9's......

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. greenwithenvy

greenwithenvy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My big heartache with this is it is one more intrusion into our ultimate freedom of choice. Big companies, trying through legislation are trying to tell you that not only can you not touch your tune but, you could go to jail for it. Yes, cops, badges, guns and stainless bracelets. I have tuned several cars and they have all passed emissions and did not affect my warranty (as I didn't screw anything up) but now you want to make it illegal for me to do that? That's a little over reaching for me.

BTW, I like you avatar. Those are cool little cars. They are very popular in Europe.

4. TeamShonuff

TeamShonuff Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    My crystal ball tells me that no one in the history of ever is going to go to jail for altering their personal tune.