Auto vs Manual

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Chippy, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have had a few manual cars and really like the extra shifting brings to the driving experience. BUT have driven some really good auto,s of late aka PDK. I know dodge will never have the PDK quality tranny but I'll bet the 8 speed could kick my but in a race if I was driving the manual.

Pls what are the actual performance differences in 0-60 1/4 times? Top speed?

For those that are driving it now, how nice does the manual operate. Is the clutch a rock crusher, are the shifts short and smooth? (Short for me is like flicking your wrist not take elbow off console for reference)

Thx for the input

2. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just saw a thread posted by Huggytree answered some of my questions so looks like auto fair bit faster.

Mods please merge threads if you like or just put my posts on his thread. Thank you in advance

3. BossHawg

BossHawg Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Here's a rule to live by. "If you want to have fun drive a manual, if you want to be the fastest drive an auto"

No human can shift as fast as the computer on autos now a days. And some of these new autos shift faster than the Porsche pdk, which used to be the gold standard. As a hobby, I've been a competitive NHRA Div 2 licensed racer for over 20 years and will always take an auto down the strip. The goal is to win, ain't no fun in losing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Our 2007 Vette had the auto and it was not as much fun to drive as the Manual. So I don't care if the A8 is faster, The point is to have fun and enjoy the car. Something about the process of clutching,revving and shifting the car.
    I had an Auto in the the purple Cuda for one season. Reverse manual valve body with trans brake. It was almost not even drivable on the street. Took it out and got the Richmond 6-speed the following season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BossHawg

BossHawg Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Different strokes for different folks. The point for some is to have fun the point for others is to be faster. Neither choice is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep!

If I was going to the track I would run an Auto. I would also run with an A8 if it was my only car and I had to drive into the city.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thx for that input guys. Buying this car for the fun of driving for sure and short season up here. What do you think about re sale down the road? This is not my only car and most likely if I sell it later down the road it would have very few miles on it not being a DD.

8. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As long as they don't flood the market and you don't pay over msrp,,I think you should have no problem selling it in a few years

9. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if you want the car as fast as it can be youll get the A-8

if you dont mind being around .4 tenths slower, but want to have more fun you will get the M-6

i would expect 4.1 0-60 as the best for M6 Hellcat.....(i can get 4.3 out of my 392).....not saying i could come close to beating a Hellcat on the 1/4 mile, but i DO think id have a great chance 0-60...especially since all the magazine testers were 4.5-5 second range 0-60 on their tests...with a 392 A6 i can go w/o barely squeaking the tires....while id expect a Hellcat to slide everywhere from the tests i saw......didnt seem like anyone could launch the car...and that was with a A8...id expect worse with a M6......i tried 0-60 once in my GT500 and got only a 4.5 second 0-60...yea it was my 1st and only try, but launching a Manual is something ill bet 95% of the owners cant do well....

about 1/2 the normal SRT-8's have always been automatics, so i wouldnt think resale would hurt you....from what i am seeing right now trying to sell my 2011 IE you wont get any extra $$ for the A6...even though it was $2k extra when new.

i love my 6 speed in my GT500, but i will be buying a A8 Hellcat.....i want the car as fast as possible...plus a 8 speed is just cool

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dr. Joseph P. Mulligan

Dr. Joseph P. Mulligan Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have the eight speed in SRT grand Cherokee.........Shifts like a demon!!!!!!!!!! My cat comes on tues with the same tranny. Should be a real ass kicker!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. y2k2

y2k2 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I opted for the Manual cat. Just so much more fun driving. Now, usually clutches are a lot lighter than torque converters so that's gotta count for the manuals making more rear wheel power and spinning the engine faster making up somewhat for the quicker auto shifts....?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Auto's win bracket races, 'nuff said!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For me the FUN is most important, and HO LEE CHIT the manual is FUN!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was so torn about this decision.... Ultimately it came down to this... Crack off easy 10s in the qtr the 1 or 2 times I head to the track a year with the auto, but then have to drive a boring(IMO!!!) car the rest of the year.... Or have an absolute blast EVERY TIME I get in it with the M6...

Bought a M6 last night....

• Like Like x 6
  15. y2k2

y2k2 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd have to agree with this.
    Consistency is key in bracket racing but. Now quicker times might be a different story. Someone's got to have the launches dialed in in the M6 that can shed some light.