Axle Break Fears

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by ScatPackin, Mar 18, 2016.

1. ScatPackin

ScatPackin Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I'll start off by saying that I am a Scat Pack owner but haven't been able to find any decent info elsewhere, so I though I would ask you all over here.

I know that there are a lot of axle shafts being broken when running drag radials and that's what I am worried about. I'm getting a supercharger installed on my 392 6M in a couple of weeks and am wondering if upgrading to the DSS axles is overkill or a smart move. It's a big chunk of change so I am seeking some opinions. Mind you, I will only be making around 520whp but I'm wondering if hard launches with a manual transmission would put me in the danger zone. Not to mention the dreaded wheel hop that I get once in a while.

I just got off the phone with the dealer and was told that the axle shafts in all of the 392 cars is identical to the Hellcat parts so don't worry. I don't always believe their information, but that's another story. What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

2. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would not wast your money. The axles should good if you feel like spending money go for a drive shaft.

3. Colorado Hellcat

Colorado Hellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

I think your confusing Axle Shafts with DRIVE shafts.

It's the DRIVE shafts that people have been breaking with DR's. Not the axle shafts. Only one car has lost an axle shaft that I know of & it built pretty good. Over a 1000hp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Billet Hellcat

Billet Hellcat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hellcat562 lost the left axle he has a M6 With a BBG triple clutch with 800-900 rwhp But with that said I think you will be fine with less than 600 rwhp
    Spend the money on the driveshaft.

5. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are only a few failures on the half shaft,the HC and 392 cars share the same parts so you should put your money into a good drive shaft first.
    TC

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a 2009 SRT 6spd and I broke an axle shaft with street tires... I think the Dodge Boys learned their lesson. All the new stuff now has heavier axles and you don't hear of axle failures like you used to. One thing I will tell you is if you have wheel hop that is a killer on the drive line. So as strange as this sounds... a set of DR's can actually reduce that type of stress on the drive line. When you hook you don't hop! The downside is the torque load on these components is increased which has lead to some DS failures on Cats. At 520 RWHP I doubt that will be an issue. You should be fine with the stock axles just don't let it hop. ;)

7. ScatPackin

ScatPackin Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    So I got my car on the dyno and it's putting 576 to the wheels. I plan on getting drag radials and putting them to use a few times a year. Where it's at now I'm well below Hellcat power, but I'm curious, are there any other stories of broken axle shafts on the HC when launching with a manual?

I am pretty much settled on upgrading the driveshaft based on all of your input, but I would like to hear more about the axles before I make that decision.

Thanks again.

EDIT: I just talked to Linda who is apparently dipping into the 1.4x 60' times on stock axles. I think I'll be ok.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  8. 2016b5scat

2016b5scat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I have a m6 scat pack also. And I have broke 2 stock axles at the drags first time was on drag radials. The second time was on slicks. First axle had 3k miles the second had 13k miles. I am pulling low 1.7 60foots have made 100 passes in the 13k miles

• Agree Agree x 1