Bad paint job.

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Donnyhellcat, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Donnyhellcat

Donnyhellcat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had my challenger hellcat about 3 months. I laid a pretty long scratch on my passenger door the first day I had my car ( pulling in a narrow storage room). It literally made me sick to my stomach! I live in a small town called Sherman, TX. The first thing that came to my mind was to take it to a paint&body shop that works on high end cars (Lambos, Ferrari's etc) in Dallas. My buddy talk me out of it. So I took to local body shop that people recommended. The paint job (my point view was horrible). It had a lot of fish eyes and solvent pops! I was very upset! 1500 bucks shouldn't have any fish eyes or solvent pops on the car! I called the owner up and he said that he would re clear it. I want really want people that know paint & body to give me some opinions. Also by the way, the body
    line was not straight either. I coming very close to take it to another body shop! Sorry for the long story. If it was a Honda I wouldn't give a shit!

• Like Like x 1
  2. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Honda would have a better factory paint job......its a $22k car paint job from the factory....so no need to treat the paint like a Ferrari......should not have accepted the car or paint until the flaw was fixed...if u went through insurance id complain to your insurance company too.....they may be able to help......when i had my front bumper repainted i wasnt happy with the color match....they offered to redo it, but after looking at some other factory bumper color matches i found mine is better than most from the factory.....now i dont even see it

if your not happy take it back in, have them redo it

if they screw with you trash them all over the internet.....i had a customer threaten me and my business with it when i tried to lien her house for lack of payment......it sure made me hesitate......internet reviews are extremely important and 1 complaint could cost that body shop hundreds of thousands.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Shake&Bake

Shake&Bake Back to (1) Club?

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You know it's funny, you and I are in the same business, the whole Internet review thing pisses me off. You can complain, not sign your name and cost somebody thousands. I could write something bad about your business and I'm in another state. If you are truly pissed take your complaint to the BBB in your area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    To the OP, the thread title would lead us to believe that FCA had delivered a bad paint job. Why don't the thread title say " I scratched my new car on the first day and my body shop screwed me"?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. kenhebe

kenhebe Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I run a collision center in Flower Mound, TX. Not too far from where you are. If the fisheyes you see will not polish out then the only choice is to re-clear it. The shop you are currently working with seems to be willing to make it right so let them. As far as the body line being off goes... was the body line affected at all as part of the original damage?

6. Donnyhellcat

Donnyhellcat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank yiou

7. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Are you saying we can ask dodge to fix our body lines,,, there are two I would like fixed....

8. Donnyhellcat

Donnyhellcat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry I didn't clarify my post this morning. The scratch was right on the body line door. They did a lousy job on the body work. Looks like they didn't take enough time to sand down the filler. So the door is not flush with the rear quarter panel.

9. Donnyhellcat

Donnyhellcat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes it was. The scratch was right on the body line on the door. Looks like they didn't sand the filler down enough or something. So the door is not flushed with quarter panel. Sorry I just hate to be so picky!

10. Donnyhellcat

Donnyhellcat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Which body shop do you own? If you don't mind me asking.

11. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your shop will redo the clear so I would let them keep at it till its right. Don't most paint shops guarantee the work? The paint shop I use has a lifetime guarantee. I know nothing about auto paint except my wife has had so many accidents I am becoming an expert!

In this day and age if painted by any shop that is good enough to do insurance work I would think can do a good job for you so no need for a high end exotic paint shop IMO.

Trick is do not accept the car until you inspect it under body shop lights and tell them upfront you expect things right and let them know upfront you will need to inspect the car under the lights.

Paint shop work is done by humans and not perfect but for $1,500 it better be almost perfect IMO. I never paid more than $600 to $800 for most fender benders when parts were not needed and that money did get ( to my eye) perfect paint that 100% matches the surrounding areas of the car. We have had to take most of our cars back to our paint guy for something especially if I did not inspect under the lights but I always ended up happy.

Give the shop a chance as I bet you will end up happy but he may need to repaint it a few times. Tell him you are a perfectionist and ask him to put his best guy / gal on it.
    Hope it all works out well for you!

12. kenhebe

kenhebe Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I manage Pro Care Collision in Flower Mound.

13. Donnyhellcat

Donnyhellcat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you!

14. Donnyhellcat

Donnyhellcat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you for taking the time reading my post.