Bad smell from heater?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by BULL, Dec 8, 2015.

1. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm getting a very very "burnt" smell coming from the heater, my initial thought was that "stuff" was just burning off, but this seems above and beyond that....

Have other HC owners noticed this and does it dissipate or might I have an issue of some sort?

2. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How high do you have the heat? Do you or your detailer spray cleaning product and it got into the vents and its creating that burning smell? Is it the smell of just really hot air or plastic burning or oil?

3. BULL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The smell is pungent but I can't nail it down, the heat was comparatively low, initially set at 70 and then down to 68.

So either there is something directly on the heater core or the smell is coming in from the engine/trans. My suspicion is just the engine burning off stuff...

The car has 49 miles on it, no cleaners etc have touched it.

4. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Have you cleaned your Kitty's litter box?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have you done any burnouts? I did with my car and i never got that smell out of it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. BULL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No burnouts... And despite that I haven't in this car, I'm very, very familiar with converting tire compound, via friction, into smoke and the associated smell that it produces...

; )

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lose track of any M&Ms?

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. dodgeboy

dodgeboy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If you don't see any puddles on the ground (under the engine bay area) after parking it, it's likely just the oils burning off of the exhaust. If you do see puddles on the ground, you may have a power steering leak like I did. I smelled a burning smell for the first few days of ownership before slipping on a puddle of power steering fluid in my garage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. BULL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you, it's a start...

10. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bull I would have it looked at a.s.a.p. No way you should have a burning smell end off. Good luck and let us know how you get on

• Useful Useful x 2
  11. BULL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, I know, but I didn't want to over-react to what might be "normal" for these cars. I've certainly been the owner of other new cars and never had this level of "smell".

It was bad enough that it permeated (sp?) my clothes after the 1hr drive home, just like standing around a campfire would or someone who smokes...

Thanks much for the insight...

12. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not a normal smell. Check the fluid levels. Check to see if there is any liquids dripping under the car.
    Last time I had that smell in a vehicle it was my heater core going out.
    I would say take it in for a check up.

13. BULL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's definitely not anti-freeze, that smell I'm familiar with as well, for the same reason as you listed, heater core going out. This is a bad plastic or rubber (NOT tire) or fluid of some sort, but again, not even oil on a header, that I would know as well...

Bottom line, I'll start looking into it as abnormal.

Thanks again to all, I was certain it wasn't right, but didn't want to be "that guy" that over-reacted....

14. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Also check under your car for a plastic bag, if you ran over or one was blown under the car and it is melting against something it could be that simple.
    Or a wire or belt hot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wouldn't write off the coolant smell yet, my cat has a slight leak in the coolant and its a smell that I've never smelled before, doesn't smell anything like coolant to me. I took mine in and they did the clamp replacement but I still have the small leak (only when I drive it hard), so she's going back again soon.

One of our former members, who is now banned, had a lot of info on this and he specifically stated that if you smell a horrible smell via the heater, then the coolant leak might be the case. Have you checked your fluid levels to make sure it isn't going down a little at a time?

and mine smelled exactly as you described, like a plastic bag melting on something. I search all over thinking maybe I sucked up some trash but found nada (I live in Houston so I dodge about 15 plastic bags/day on my way to and from work....this place is disgusting but that's another topic)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1