Batman vs. Superman = FCA

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by GoodCaptain, Mar 26, 2016.

1. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'll get the obvious out of the way; Batman vs. Superman is a pretty bad movie. The writing is beyond bad and the characters have zero motivation that makes any sense.

But in the 1st few minutes you'll see some silly and over-the-top product placement and it continues through the whole movie.

Even though I'm about to take delivery on a Hellcat, it was an idiotic and obvious over-saturation of product placement to fill the streets of Metropolis with ONLY FCA products. Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler and FIAT is all you see in this movie. Even in the backgrounds, out of focus, you'll be peppered by Cherokee grills, Dart rear-ends, Challenger tail lights...it's just everywhere.

I was waiting to see if the Batmobile might have SRT on it somewhere. Sure, Ben Affleck drives a Hellcat, but I'm pretty sure Lois Lane drives a VW Bug.

Cheers,

Robert

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Lighty

Lighty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Better than a movie full of fords I guess!! :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Hah... if you're citing THIS as offensive, you must've never seen Vanishing Point, source of the famous "it takes a Mopar to catch a Mopar" line.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hellcatmichael

Hellcatmichael SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Better then a movie full of Chevy's I guess!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Thanks, Robert. Marty and I were dubious about the movie simply from the corny premise of the previews. Now I am certain I will not bother. :)

April

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Nitewing

Nitewing Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'd have to completely disagree with your review of the movie. It was not great, but was a damn good movie. Everyone has their own tastes, but me and my buds enjoyed it. If you are even partially interested, I'd say see for yourself and make your own call. At worst, you wasted a couple bucks and ended up taking a 2+ hour nap.

As for the product placement, yes it was quite heavy handed, but all the more funny for it! I was laughing quite a bit seeing Metroplis and Gotham had nothing but Mopar. My kind of cities! Except for all the destruction and stuff...need a new car a week rate those places get destroyed!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Well...here's my actual review, far from the subject of Mopar product placement. SPOILERS here:

This may stand, at least until Pacific Rim 2 is released, as one of the worst movies ever written in modern times.
    I'm rarely shocked by bad writing these days, but BVS seems to have been masterminded by a room full of drunken DC haters who agreed not to reject any ideas, no matter how bad they might be. And the bad ideas come in a flood of idiocy that's fairly entertaining in its own right. I shook my head in Mister Potato Head dumbfounded awe until my neck was sore.
    Lex Luthor has gone insane! Oh, not to the tune of the previously shown subdued brilliance, but this time he's just nuts. But what really damages his character here is a total lack of direction. Poor Lex never once explains what he wants, why he wants it or shows and any real requirement that we can identify as villainous. He's just there, a goofy babbling prop who has enough money and power to upset everyone.
    If that's not bad enough, poor Batman has really no reason to hate Superman. Sure, there were human losses during the last movie, but Wayne seems to understand what the stakes were. Confronted by Alfred, poor Wayne babbles about how there's a 1% chance Superman could be evil someday! So he must die!
    If that's not weak enough for you, consider that the writers agreed. Later in the movie, Lex works out a way to force them to fight or at least push poor Superman into it. But when they face off, Superman still tries not to fight. Gee, not a load of conflict because the "bad blood" just isn't there to support the angry performances.
    The battle itself is just silly. Rather than find a way for Batman to match Superman, they pull out the old Krytonite bit and weaken Superman for the fight. BORING. A better writer would have looked elsewhere to make it work. There's no DRAMA in beating up a weakened Superman.
    The lack of inventiveness and stupidity is rampant, even in the opening scene where a CIA agent is discovered because he has a BUG in his camera. Everyone knows it's a bug because it actually FLASHES!!!
    Serious dialogue is everywhere and the tone is Trumpesqe, dark and threatening, but never clear as to the whats and whys. The whole mess is not motivated by good story telling.
    When Wonder Woman shows up, Batman and Superman are curious as to who's she with...and so are we. The best reason for her showing up for a fight appears to be a delayed Jet Blue flight.
    I took two 11 year-olds and they spent an hour talking about how silly the plot was and what would have worked better. Audience reactions were mixed. Critics are calling have gotten it right with a score of about 33%.
    Sure, it'll make money, but a better movie would have made even more.

Robert

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think I'll just enjoy the commercial version only. Thanks for the heads up!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

I should add that I'm a screenwriter, but that said, I don't know anyone who thought this was a good movie. This is not about "taste" as this is more of a logic in story-telling issue. Most WWE Wrestlemania matches have a more convincing structure to support the feuds.
    I'm still glad I saw it. The girl playing Wonder Woman (Previously from Fast and Furious) is pretty hot!

Robert

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr Bigblock

Mr Bigblock Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I sure hope they didn't really destroy a 68 Charger filming that crap

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Hellcatmichael

Hellcatmichael SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It was a used one.

12. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think we should amend the constitution that all moves shall be shot using Mopars...:D and that no vintage iron may be harmed in the making of the movie! ;) But honestly... making any movie with one brand of vehicle is a little over the top. I haven't seen BVS but it's not really my type of movie. But... it would be cool to see another Vanishing Point type movie with a Hellcat!

13. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My thoughts exactly!

14. Nitewing

Nitewing Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Speaking for normal everyday comic book geeks, the movie was good. Most of us normal type folks enjoyed it. Haven't heard from any of my friends/family who haven't had a good time watching( and some very picky geeks among us) It seems critics and writers don't like it, but oh well. Normals will be the ones buying tickets...

15. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    two words: Suicide Squad.

the end. :cool:

• Like Like x 1