Battery Dead after 2 weeks of sitting in driveway

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT 392' started by Robert P6167, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Robert P6167

Robert P6167 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I bought my Challenger SRT 392 in March of 2015 after deciding I wanted a fun car as a second mode of transportation. So far I have loved the car up until a couple weeks ago when it started acting up. The car sat in my driveway for two and a half weeks straight while I was on a business trip and now won't start. I tried hooking up a booster cable from my Subaru and the screen came up saying Accessory Mode Turn key to start. I pressed the start button and the battery died. I then tried charging it with the auto battery charger I had in my garage. The battery wouldn't hold a charge. Has anyone else had this issue with theirs? Is there a simple solution for it? I travel a lot and I can't be stuck coming home to a vehicle that doesn't run even though I have two other vehicles I can drive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Do you have a big boy charger to put on it? If not every garage needs one, Sears DieHard works well

3. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    my 2011 would die in storage after 6 weeks....called dodge to complain and they said it was normal...2 weeks sounds too short for this issue (mine sits for 2-3 weeks w/o an issue)

for winter storage you need a battery tender for newer cars

buy a new battery see if that helps.......otherwise get a battery tender for $20

4. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If the battery was dead after 2 weeks there is a problem. Do you have any aftermarket devices connected such as a OBDII device, USB charger, etc?

If not you either have a bad battery or parasitic drain problem.

Leaving the vehicle set 6-8 weeks could cause a dead battery, use a Battery Tender.

5. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Take it to you dealer and have the battery load tested. I have had new car batteries fail after a few weeks, I had a new Honda battery fail the next day after buying the new car. Bet you have a defective battery and will get a new one free. Not uncommon for a new battery to fail, at least not for me. If it will not hold a charge its bad!
    Good Luck!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Richard g

Richard g Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I strongly recommend a Battery Tender unless you live in CA. Where they cannot be sold. I have a small collection of cars that sometimes sit several weeks before I can exercise them all including my Hellcat. With the Battery Tender I never worry about a dead battery.

7. Angel

Angel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Robert,
    I don't own a Hellcat yet but I've owned a lot of vehicles in my life but a battery going dead in two weeks isn't normal especially on a new car.
    I live in Texas where it'snormally hot so is this a cold weather thing?
    Call me paranoid but I'd take it to the shop and make sure there isn't a electrical short and or if you got a bad battery.

8. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    normal IOD (ignition off draw) on any dodge vehicle is 5-35 milliamps. this can kill a fully charged battery in as little as 3 weeks.
    a less than fully charged battery likely wouldn't last as long. although 2 1/2 weeks seems short, it's actually not that bad.
    i would ensure the battery is fully charged, then load test it. if it passes, an IOD test would indicate if there is excessive draw.
    my recommendation is; if it's gonna sit for over a week, get a battery tender or carry a booster pack.

9. Angel

Angel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just re-read your post and see you have a Srt I had a 2013 Challenger Srt8 and there were times I would let her sit in the garage for a month at a time and I never had an issue with the original battery. I own several vehicles and I take turn driving all of them.
    The 1997 Dodge truck I just gave to my son was sitting for a good six months and it fired right up. Once the factory batteries get old I replace them with a Die Hard battery which the truck had.
    Good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Im a big believer in a Battery Tender well I prefer the off brand ( the ones sold at Advance auto works great) as I have had at least 3 Battery tender brand go bad over the years. I use one on my Harley and I have got up to 7 years out of a motorcycle battery using one so Battery maintainers are wonderful and WILL make a batter last!
    However, OP says his battery will not charge even when using the auto charger he has in his garage... He has a bad battery that will require replacement. New batteries do fail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    maybe his charger is defective or he doesn't know how to use it. Most people think a trickle charger will charge a dead battery in a couple of hours, when in fact, a completely discharged battery can take up to 30 hours to fully charge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I bought my hellcat, dec 5th,, it went in to storage, my heated garage attached you my house,, after two weeks, the car went into sleep mode to save the battery,, when I took it out in April,, no problem starting

13. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Uh, I have a battery tender I bought at harbor freight, and they also sell them at Home Depot? Not sure what you mean that these cannot be bought in CA?

14. Jim M

Jim M SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I don't know who makes Mopar batteries but I've had great luck with them. My original '01 Dakota battery lasted 6 years. My original '08 Challenger battery also lasted 6 years. When it died I replaced it with another Mopar battery. I used to swear by Die Hard Gold batteries but the one in my wife's Toyota only lasted 2 1/2 years. Sears gave me a new one.

15. Richard g

Richard g Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    CA passed a law in 2014 requiring battery chargers to be more energy efficient. Battery Tender Jr. does not apparently meet this requirement. Amazon for example list product as not available in CA.& OR. Also Deltron Battery Tender web site shows Battery Tender Jr. not sold in California & Oregon

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1