Been to Hell and back

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Rico_HT, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Rico_HT

Rico_HT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    29yrs old Texan trying to save and put a down payment on my first new car. By wanting to purchase this car I have learned more about investing income, saving, and money making tips than I ever learned in my entire life. Truth is I never heard someone discuss a mutual fund until I started to figure out this car. Pray for me. With an under 400 credit score and a car with no front end life is kind of hard!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good luck, its an awesome car but make sure you don't put yourself in a bind. Any tire change you do will be at least $1000, I just replaced my windshield for $800 when I caught a rock on the highway. Everything is pricey on this car in terms of maintenance (oil change is $100).

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good luck but don't go beyond your means. You're still very young. I would focus on my credit score and not material things at this point in your life.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Don't take offense, but I will attempt to give you some advice from my six decades of experience. You won't get a large car loan or potentially any car loan except a high risk loan at an extreme interest rate with that credit score. I would concentrate on other priorities as a young man. Your first is to improve that score substantially. I do not know what your resources are, but that score indicates you have lots of things to do, with a Hellcat purchase much later and much lower on your list.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Angel

Angel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome, I agree with what everyone else has said. A person's credit score makes all the difference in the world and especially when your financing is limited.

I also vote working on your credit score the higher your credit score the more money you will save on the interest rate you will get on what ever you buy which means a lot when you purchase a large item like a Hellcat or a house.

Good luck

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello, and welcome! I don't want to risk sounding like a "Debbie Downer", but as the others posting before me have advised ... please do not over-stretch yourself. It is simply not worth the stress and strain, especially over a car. Work on the credit rating, and be patient. While you wait have you considered picking up a gently used Challenger or Charger R/T or 392? They are fabulous cars, tons of fun to drive, and will be much kinder to your wallet. If you are patient and picky, you will be able to find a well maintained used car ... they are out there, because my 2013 392 was meticulously cared for, loved, and cherished before I traded it in on my Hellcat. Whoever bought my previous car was one lucky person, because it was flawless. Good Luck, and hang around here with us. Lots of great Mopar info to be learned, I am learning more on this forum everyday! :)

April

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome Rico
    You got very good advice from very good people that know what they talking about be smart and listen to your elders they are very wise when it comes to buying cars. Good luck be smart.

Chuck

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was over stretched once and it hurt for a long time ( in debt to the bank ) :)

9. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Marty and I have been there, done that. We were over stretched when we were younger, early in our marriage, and it is a horrible, miserable feeling when money is too tight to breathe. Luckily we learned from it, and we will never go back to that awful place again ... SOOOOOO not worth it!

April

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Advice = free. Action = You. Good luck with whatever decision you make...stick with it, though. Welcome to the community.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dam ruff being a Texan sometimes!!! Lol
    Welcome to the forum!!!

12. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a 2014 challenger r/t with shaker hood for sale. Pm me if you want details

13. Rico_HT

Rico_HT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you guys for all the awesome advice! Focusing on my credit score and saving is actually what I'm doing at this very moment. Im going to junk 3 cars and combine it with my income tax and a little money I saved to hopefully put down on an R/T to keep realistic expectations and help with my score

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good luck and God speed with your plan. Keep a picture of the car you want with you or around you all the time. That will keep you working towards it. You have to believe

15. Booky

Booky Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good luck in what ever you choose, but don't forget to factor in the cost of auto insurance.

This can be a pretty substantial cost on a high priced new vehicle.

I am 49 years old, No accidents or tickets and my insurance went up changing from my 2012 Shelby GT500 to the new Hellcat.

You will be much better off with a gently used R/T to start with and even have some extra money left over for mods.;)