Before you have your paint protection treatment, read this.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Detailing' started by Slowhand, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Slowhand

Slowhand Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LSP - The Definition and the story behind the term - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

"When working on freshly painted car, that is paint that is less than 30 days old, there is not a single paint manufacture that recommends sealing the paint before at least a minimum of 30 days air-cure has passed to insure any and all solvents or other ingredients used to thin and spray the paint have had a chance to outgass unhindered."

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's a good thing my car has been in storage 3 months,, and two Months before that,,, hence the need for paint correction

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    thanks for sharing this SH, it's a known fact and highly recommended!

4. C. Charles Hahn

C. Charles Hahn Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would once again point out that this applies only to BODY SHOP paint, after collision repairs. Factory paint on brand new vehicles are "thermocured," or baked on such that they are FULLY CURED by the time you take delivery. There is absolutely zero reason to wait for 30 days before having paint protection applied.

• Useful Useful x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good point too

6. Slowhand

Slowhand Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Source? Bodyshops bake on paint also.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HellcatKid

HellcatKid Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I gotta say im with MR CLEAN on this one even after you cure the paint in a bake oven its always good to let things offgas it just seems the paint and clear coat harden up somewhat and are not so delicate....even more prevelant when you are sanding and polishing later on somewhat better results can be obtained by allowing some cure time afterward just speaking from experience here I SUPPOSE it would depend on what temperature and HOW LONG it is baked. Finishes such as powdercoating or baked enamel it is cured at a very high temperature and its not goona get any tougher or harder with time after baking....just my .02 :cool::cool::cool:

8. Badass69

Badass69 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A lot of shops don't..... and 140 degrees F for 20 minutes is not the same as the factory paint that can see double that temperature.

9. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well mine set in cold storage, in black hood hell from mid Nov to mid Jan so...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The factory bakes them at I believe 350 degrees as it is a bare shell with no loom etc. Very different from a repair shop.
    That said my paint will be three months old before I see it.

11. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i dont think too many arrive in less than 30 days from paint.....willing to bet most sit for 30 days in a parking lot in Canada

i waited 45+ days before putting on Xpel on my repainted bumper...i was told you can smell the new paint to see if its been 30 days or not(or so my xpel guy tells me)

12. HellcatKid

HellcatKid Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What is the best way to get rail dust off paint I mean other than clay bar which ive never done is it possible to do a light polish to remove these contaminents? Thoughts? heard of iron x to soak and wash off also but never tried?

13. Odin

Odin Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Claying will remove the rail dust. I have seen products like Iron-X, Adams Deep Wheel Cleaner, etc. used to remove the iron from the paint but have never tried it. I only use them to remove brake dust from the barrels of my wheels maybe twice a year when I pull the wheels. I really cannot stand the smell! I know others have used these cleaners on their paint with no problems but I will not use them on my paint. Our 2012 Challenger Yellow Jacket was on the lot for over 12 months before we bought it. It had lots of rail dust on it. Even with the car sitting for a year all the iron came out with claying. I would also suggest claying before polishing.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. HellcatKid

HellcatKid Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks im just not comfortable claying because if damage occurs from doing it wrong you can not undo it the clear coat is far too thin on these digitally applied finishes there is no margin of error! :eek: but I have found these nanoskin towels that look like they are better because the contaminents can be simply washed off after removal unlike the clay which they are trapped in.....I guess that's the part I am having trouble with accepting so may give the towel a try on an inconspicuous area first!