Beginning the search for SassyCat

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by SassyCat, Feb 3, 2016.

1. SassyCat

SassyCat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good morning! I'm beginning my search for a Challenger Hellcat, and thought I'd check here for some valued opinions. I live in Virginia and work in the Pentagon area. All advice is welcome.

Biggest decision for me right now: Wait for 2017 or get a 15/16? (I'm in no rush) - when does 2017 go on the market?

Cats going for MSRP or below yet?

How long does it now take to order a hellcat? Good dealers?(I don't mind going out of state if its worth it)

Any mechanical/maintenance issues popping up?

Any green colors available besides Sublime (I am partial to the 1970/71 Green Go/Sassy Grass colors)?

A8 or M6? (I've heard the A8 is outstanding, but I'm partial to a manual in a muscle car)

Sunroof or No sunroof? (I'm over 6" - is there an issue with headspace?)

factory stripes available? color choices? worth it?

Which interior is best? I'm almost old, so comfort is a plus.

Any Challenger/Hellcat groups in Northern Virginia?

To my brothers and sisters in harm's way - God Speed.

Thanks everyone! M777A2 pic.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome!

I will start, I have some time this morning. Others will follow I am sure. First, I love Curly!

I do not think you will score one for under MSRP.
    I suppose 2017's will come out sometime late year.

Dealer is a BIG deal. Since you do not care where, pick up the phone and find a dealer willing to order one and they MUST have allocation from Dodge. Read the different threads about people who do not find a good dealer.

You can read about "mechanical" issues. People never start a thread to say how dependable their car is. I believe several fundamental items were taken care of with the 2015's. But we have five years of power train warranty. You will not get that in 2016. I have had an SRT and now this special SRT, these are tough units, I would not be worried.

Sublime has been discontinued as of now.

Unless you are absolutely passionate about that manual and you would like to buy an aftermarket clutch to handle the power don't get it.
    You cannot shift as fast as the A8, you will never be quicker than a same car with an A8. I road race mine, the A8 is a dream. Matter of fact the A8 is a dream to drive 100% of the time. It has several settings from what I would drive to Church to Track. In Track, it bangs shifts very impressively.

Screw the sunroof, it will eat 1.5-2" of headroom.

I believe stripes are currently available. Certainly they are available aftermarket if that is what you want.

IMO Get the Laguna Leather in Sepia or black your choice.

USAF Vet here, God Bless our serving members, thank you.

Enjoy the journey to find one and keep us posted.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SassyCat

SassyCat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you DGatzby! I appreciate the information. Yea, for my upcoming search, I couldn't think of a more appropriate avatar. 10-4 on the mechanical issues being a non-issue, the A8, and the sunroof advice.

4. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You will love the car.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. terryturner

terryturner Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Also dealers should get allocation notice around Feb 10th so try to find a dealer by this weekend so maybe u can have a vin by next weekend or shortly after

• Like Like x 1
  6. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Also in VA (there are a bunch of us running around), Retired USAF. Owner since July 2015, daily driver with almost 10,000 miles
    Charger HC, Redline Red, A8, Sunroof, Nav, stock black interior (originally ordered Sepia but had to do a little compromise when I finally found a dealer stock vehicle), VA legal tint (3m Crystalline 50% front, 40% rear)

As we've learned, no better help than self help. Between Dodge website and Cars.com there are a lot of Challenger Hellcats listed. Cars.com currently shows 536 out there. Autotrader.com also lists. Pick your posion. Fly/buy/drive works and makes for a great story. I did one day trip to GA to pick mine up with a buddy. Morning flight and drove the 600 miles home. Arrived all broken in and ready to rock and roll.

I found mine on-line and then followed up with phone calls when it was a possibility.

Get a junk email account and start pinging those with potential dealers for availability and pricing.

I had 2010 Challenger R/T with 6spd...swapped over to Charger with A8 and could not be happier. The A8 goes from wild to mild and back again at the push of a button. Shifts harder and faster than I ever could with no clutch to wear out. I'm 6' and have no roof issues with sunroof in either car.

lights, stripes, wraps, wheels, billet items, dustless brake pads, pullies, tunes, etc. there are quite a few ways to make it your own. Just about what ever your budget can afford to change function or fashion.

Just get out there and find the one you want and expect to be wearing a smile for miles to come.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SassyCat

SassyCat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Solid - thanks guys!

8. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Did you see this @ Fitz mall in Maryland. Check the thread, page 76...couple of unclaimed Challenger allocations. You might be closer than you think.

Post leads on Hellcat's

9. BluRidge

BluRidge Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You should check with Farrish Dodge/Jeep in Fairfax as they sell at MSRP. They had a fairly large list of buyers last year (and I was right at the bottom) but I hung in there and my number finally came up a few weeks ago. I don't knowhow many allocations they have for 2016 but its probably worth a call.

10. ppowell1983

ppowell1983 BANNED Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Depending on what color and options you are looking for, you should be able to find one on the dealer lot for MSRP. I was able to find mine in one day and I bought it for MSRP at a dealer 30 miles from my house. I live in the Chicagoland area and i know of 4 Hellcat's for sale at MSRP right now.

11. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    My original order for my Charger was with Farrish. They were to have 16 Challengers and 2 Chargers in MY2015 and I was their 1st Charger order. Believe they only got 13 Challengers and 0 Chargers when FCA got thru screwing everyone. Farrish (Stacie) was a good advocate and helped all she could. Even pulling in regional help trying to get my VON into a VIN.

Give Stacie a call @ Farrish...she's a straight shooter. Even though I had to find mine thru an internet search, I'd go back and see Stacie for any future purchases.

12. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello, and welcome to the forum! I agree with everything the guys posting above have said regarding your quest for information before you buy, except for one point. You can get the Cat for MSRP, but you will likely have to do your due diligence in order to find at that price or dicker it down to that price (at any rate it is much easier to find them for MSRP this year than last year). Keep an eye on the purchasing thread ( SRT Hellcat Purchasing ) here on the forum because people are posting leads almost daily, and there are several forum members that found their Hellcat through these postings.

Unless the sunroof is a MUST for you, my advice is to skip it. My Hellcat (named Dante) is my third Challenger (2009 SRT8, and a 2013 392). The previous Challengers both had a sunroof, and I rarely used it ... plus I am a tall woman and the hairs on the top of my head were always tickling the interior roof of the cars (no, I do not have tall hair, LOL). The sunroof was not an available option when I ordered Dante, and I do NOT miss it at all. Without the sunroof I easily have 3 extra inches of headroom (no more annoying top of the head ticklies), and I, personally, like the look of the car better without the sunroof.

I wish you the best of luck in your search, let us know when you find/order your dream Cat! :)

April

• Like Like x 1
  13. SassyCat

SassyCat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I have decided that I want a green cat. So, it's either purchase a sublime or order a 2017 green (<---- hoping). Any speculation on 2017 impact heritage colors?

My 2 cents worth: Looking at the past impact heritage colors (2008-2016), I imagine they'll put out a yellow (maybe banana, probably stinger), a green (hopefully a darker like GWE or Green Go/Sassy Grass, and perhaps a blue (Blackberry or Blue Streak). Along with the standard whites, silvers, blacks, and reds. Maybe they carry over Go Mango or Plum Crazy for a bit.

14. squidtracy

squidtracy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It is good that you have time but it is hard to predict if that impact color that you are looking for will be available on the 2017 MY. I can offer my.02 on a local dealership though, I had posted in a couple other areas that my friend Herb Hardy is a salesman at Fitz Auto Mall in Lexington Park, Maryland. They currently have two Challenger Hellcats on order right now in BG status and the options on those cars can be changed if someone wants them. Fitz policy is they have not and will not charge over MSRP. That is where I ordered my Charger Hellcat and it was a super experience and then the first drive was over the top as well. Herb can be reached at Work: 301-737-0088 and Cell: 240-434-6690.

15. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the Forum and you got very good advice. You can't go wrong with your choice. Good luck on your buy on your Hellcat.

Chuck