SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Being manufactured: Brace to prevent differential case breakage

61K views 230 replies 106 participants last post by  Mopar forever 
#1 · (Edited)
If you have been following high horsepower Hellcats, there is a point where the increased HP/TQ with an upgraded driveshaft can lead to differential failures.

Two issues have been reported from members: Case failure or Gear failure

As you can see in the pictures below regarding case failure, the case cracks and breaks away from the rear cross-member. The issue here is the driveshaft can be damaged or even disconnect from the differential and cause other more expensive damage and increase crash potential.

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Transmission part Vehicle

With the input of some of our forum members, for the past 3 months I've been developing a brace to significantly reduce case failures without any unintended consequences. The design has been modified twice. Here is the latest prototype on a forum members Hellcat Charger.

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Automotive fuel system

The brace anchors to the rear cross-member where there are two existing threaded holes and connects to the two main differential bolts. It is buttressed by a durable 1" nylon guide and 3/8" 65-70 shore rubber isolation material. The braces will be powdercoated silver.

One will be going on my 815 RWHP Hellcat Challenger as soon as the initial production run of 25 units is completed.

These will be available for purchase in 3-4 weeks...if you are interested, please let me know via PM.

FYI - I am a Hellcat enthusiast/Forum member and have contracted these to be made by a local, high-quality fabrication shop where I have known the owner for years.

Thanks, Bray

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
This mod was a home run on the 03/04 Cobras with the IRS. Dodge dealers rarely stock rear diffs and our cars are down for 3-5 days waiting for parts/install when they break so this is huge.

This brace ties the diff into the rear cross-member and also solidly mounts to the outer bolts on the diff cover making it much stronger. Installation is a breeze as I had it done in 15 minutes. I have over 1,500 miles on the brace and that includes a 2.75 mile road course track day. No new noises, no new vibrations and less deflection equals better traction. Ive done a few burnouts and a ton of launches with the brace installed as well

I'd still like to know why Dodge put 2 threaded holes in the cross member behind the rear diff. Its like they planned on adding a brace but didn't

Thanks for all the time and money you have into this Bray! Now quit with the R&D and get that Cat on the road!

#9 ·
The bolt you have circled goes to a locator tab. The right side of the brace slides on to the bolt. The left side attaches to the tab to increase access for proper tightening and clearance. The left bolt in the diff gets removed and the tab is added; the right side diff bolt only gets loosened.

Hope that helps.

#16 ·
I am interested also

#19 ·
American enginuity at it's best!

#25 ·
If you have been following high horsepower Hellcats, there is a point where the increased HP/TQ with an upgraded driveshaft can lead to differential failures.

Two issues have been reported from members: Case failure or Gear failure

As you can see in the pictures below regarding case failure, the case cracks and breaks away from the rear cross-member. The issue here is the driveshaft can be damaged or even disconnect from the differential and cause other more expensive damage and increase crash potential.

View attachment 186041
View attachment 186033

With the input of some of our forum members, for the past 3 months I've been developing a brace to significantly reduce case failures without any unintended consequences. The design has been modified twice. Here is the latest prototype on a forum members Hellcat Charger.

View attachment 186065

The brace anchors to the rear cross-member where there are two existing threaded holes and connects to the two main differential bolts. It is buttressed by a durable 1" nylon guide and 3/8" 65-70 shore rubber isolation material. The braces will be powdercoated silver.

One will be going on my 815 RWHP Hellcat Challenger as soon as the initial production run of 25 units is completed.

These will be available for purchase in 3-4 weeks...if you are interested, please let me know via PM. I do not have all the costs yet, but figure no more than $165 + normal shipping.

FYI - I am a Hellcat enthusiast/Forum member and have contracted these to be made by a local, high-quality fabrication shop where I have known the owner for years.

Thanks, Bray
Very informative and interesting thread.

Watching intently and paying close attention to detail....

Thank you

#29 ·
Very cool stuff and thanks for the contribution! That is awesome. Another great example of why this forum rocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.