Best Gas For Our Cats.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Peetie Wheatstraw, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Peetie Wheatstraw

Peetie Wheatstraw Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Their seems to be a big debate on the best motor oil for our beasts. But what brand of gas do our members recommend for our Hellcats ?

2. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Gas is pumped by pipeline to most areas of the country and stored in big tank farms. The gas is all the same just separated by grade. When the gas is loaded on a truck it is then blended with an additive package based on the oil company. (Sunoco, Mobil, Hess etc. all have their own package). For me it most important to get your fuel from a station that is modern and does a lot of business as they will cycle the fuel the quickest hence the fuel is the fresh. For me I run the Sunoco 93 Ultra as it's close by and the fueling station was rebuilt a few years ago with new tanks/pumps installed.;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Peetie Wheatstraw

Peetie Wheatstraw Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So what your saying is that all gasolines are about the same as long as that station has a high output of volume. What about the additives , is any one better then the other ?

4. SRT HC

SRT HC BANNED

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have heard that Shell is one of the worst for power. More knock retard than most other brands. There must be something in their additive.

When I had Johan dyno tune my Magnum he asked what gas I was using. When I said Shell, he told me to be sure to finish the tank and fill-up with (he named a few brands, but can only recall one) Exxon

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  5. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not exactly... I'm just saying the base product is the same. The additive packages are different... which one is truly best I can't say. My point is you need to trust you source for the fuel. If it's busy station they will cycle the tanks more quickly so your chances for fresh fuel are better. In reality, if the fuel is good (not contaminated in any way) I doubt there is much difference.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Peetie Wheatstraw

Peetie Wheatstraw Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So what your saying is that all gasolines are about the same as long as that station has a high output of volume. What about the additives , is any one better then the other ?

7. Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat
    Record Holder
    Fastest HC Charger/Record Holder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Idk Brand ......but Premium and aren't we lucky gas prices are down
    Linda:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Last couple of years I did a lot of datalogging in my 09 SRT. In our area Shell 93 had the most Knock Retard, BP had the least.
    Will do some logging this year in the Cat.
    I had to mix to 93 and 100 to 95 octane to almost eliminate knock retard in the 09 in hot summer weather. Unfortunately I don't have access to 100 octane to mix anymore.

9. Mopar22

Mopar22 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    have you ever data logged with cheveron or mobile?

10. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Generally the big oil companies will have a more elaborate additive package to try and separate them from the non branded fuels. There are Federal minimum standards for blending gasoline that all gasoline must meet. Generally speaking mom & pop fuel stations that do NOT sell a specific brand will meet the minimum standard for additives. So I would stick with a brand of fuel from a supplier who promotes their fuel such as Sunoco for example. Which one is better I can't say as that would probably require some testing of the fuels on a dyno or something. Lets not confuse additives with octane which is the fuels ability to resist knock. There are strict standards for calculating octane. The additives address other things such as fuel system varnish that can cause sticking injectors, valve coking and combustion chamber deposits. Why is this important... it affects vehicle emissions.

11. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  12. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Exxon (Mobil) and Chevron fell in the middle if I remember correctly.
    Absolute best was a non-branded near me and it had the least ethanol according to my truck which measures % ethanol. Unfortunately they were bought out.
    Edit - "best" equals least knock retard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This website will show all gas companies are basically the same even down to the additives. Top Tier Gasoline

I just did a 2500 round trip from NYC to Miami and back. I filled with Mobil and Sonoco depending on gas station availability on my way down and up. What i did do is stay away from unbranded gas stations. My issue with unbranded gas stations is normally they buy their gas from the same suppliers that Mobil,Shell,Sonoco use but it just feels shady and there is no one to really go to if you get a bad batch of gas from an unbranded gas station.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I stick with any of the top Tier gases. Around my area that is Shell, Mobil, BP and sometime Exxon. Funny about the bad rap on Shell. I never heard that. I have seen independent tests and Shell always rated at the top with the best additives. My car likes it. I find often times some guys just have an axe to grind with some brands in any product. My bet is they just had a bad experience with a single station or owner etc. Happy Motoring.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  15. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hemi Rocket nailed it in about everything he said. I stick with the name brands, the corner shacks can be iffy. Personally I recommend Chevron...and that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I work for Chevron *wink wink* lol

• Like Like x 1