SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Best Synthetic Oil to put into the Hellcat?

60K views 155 replies 52 participants last post by  Trucker Bob 
#1 ·
No forum would be complete without the sometimes heated debate about what's the best Synthetic oil to put into the engine.

So what is your favorite and/or what do you think is the best Synthetic oil to put into the Hellcat? My choice is Penzoil Ultra Platinum. Based on all the real world tests/oil analysis I've seen and read it can't be beat.

#2 ·
Yeah I saw the commercial recently for pennzoil ultra platinum. Might go with that instead of API Licensed Royal purple even tho RP has made quite an impression a good one at that on my super bee. If the pennzoil used at the dealership was 0w-40 then it really wasn't great whatever they were using because it made my car sluggish and not very responsive and choppy in my super bee 6.4 392 engine.

#3 ·
Yeah do your research on PUP @HellcatdotClub . I think you'll come away very very pleased. There's a whole culture of guys out there who really know their stuff and have done some extended oil drain intervals using Ultra Platinum, sent it off for analysis, and came back with some great numbers.

Check out bobistheoilguy.com. You'll have a whole new appreciation for Synthetics and see that they are not all the same. The guys there get into the minutia of synthetics.

#19 ·
I wouldn't rush to change the oil, the Hellcats will come from the factory with Pennzoil UP, as it's the only 0W-40 full synthetic Pennzoil makes for North America.

The Platinum full synthetic 0W-40 is Europe only.

#20 ·
I wouldn't rush to change the oil, the Hellcats will come from the factory with Pennzoil UP, as it's the only 0W-40 full synthetic Pennzoil makes for North America.

The Platinum full synthetic 0W-40 is Europe only.
say it ain't so! if that's the case i'll just stick to it for a while since we were going to change to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum like the one i saw on commercial a few times recently. thanks for the info Mopurr.

#25 ·
I've read a ton of threads on this with people putting these oils through some rigorous testing. AMSOIL and Penzoil Ultra Platinum continually rank the highest among all the brands. I'm talking some crazy extended drain periods and the oils were still holding up pretty well.

These are not biased opinions, these are backed by actual numbers (oil analysis)

Beside the stellar protection of these two oils i recommend PUP because it is easily available and cheaper. Same bang for the buck.

There's a lot of info out there if you care to go down this rabbit hole.

#23 ·
I personally am going to use exactly what Dodge recommends and document that I have done so. A few years back, with another manufacture, I had a major pissing contest on an engine warranty claim, due to my using a different, premium grade, oil. So, as long as it is under warranty, use their oil and avoid a possible problem.

#24 ·
I've never had an engine failure on a new or used car. I always followed the 3000-mile oil change interval recommended when I was young. BUT technology has come a long way in that time.
I had my engine oil tested by Blackstone Labs on my SRT Challenger. The oil was Amsoil, and the mileage was just under 3000 when I sent the sample in. They provided a kit for submitting the sample.

I don't baby my cars. I drive them the way they were engineered to be run.
The lab report stated that the Amsoil I had been running for 3000 miles already would still be safe to use for another 5000 miles. That's 8000 miles out of an oil change - under what I consider to be "normal use".

If I can find Amsoil locally available in the correct grade (or with nominal shipping charges), I'll run it in my Hellcat. Otherwise, it's what ever Dodge recommends for the car.

Reactions: Carnage
#28 ·
I default to the owner's manual for warranty purposes:

Engine Oil With Filter

6.2 Liter Supercharged Engine (SAE 0W-40, Synthetic API Certified) 6 Quarts 5.68 Liters

6.4 Liter Engine (SAE 0W-40, Synthetic API Certified) 7 Quarts 6.6 Liters

The manufacturer recommends the use of Pennzoil Ultra

™ 0W-40 engine or equivalent MOPAR® oil meeting

the Chrysler Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all

operating temperatures.

#34 ·
I will be under the car with them, Most are a bunch of retards anyway, that's why there only changing oil....... I have had some of them put washer fluid in the coolant over flow, I called the owner and handed his A&^* to him...I would probably go to jail if they mess up my HELLCAT.

#40 ·
While watching the many videos out there on the hellcat, it was stated that Penzoil had developed an oil just for the hellcat's specific needs. Early SRT's had always been Mobil 1 from the factory. Sponsorship can mean great sales at the counter. All great oils have their own special following.

#41 ·
I am still sticking with manufacturer recommended Pennzoil Ultra Premium 0-40w as recommended. Now that I know there is a special SRT tech and there are special needs for the oil change, I am requiring the SRT tech does it and I am gonna watch him like a fox in the henhouse!!:D

#45 ·
Now you guys and Tammie too all have me thinking on this oil bit. I was thinking the whole time that Dodge knew what oil was best for their engines. My 08 6.1 Hemi calls for Mobile and I have never put anything else in it but that. Am I wrong on this?? And what does NOT using the Manufacture recommended oil and filter do to it's engine warranty? Does anyone know???

Reactions: The Dude
#48 ·
I do love my MOPARS and want the best for them. But we all know if something goes wrong inside the Hellcat or any other engine under warranty the first they check is what kind of oil or additives are inside it before they go any further with testing.

#50 ·
factory spec's Mobil One thats what it will run !! Don't want them to point fingers if something happens if I change synthetics.. Warranty time this may be a deal breaker if one strays from their spec'ed oil.

They are gonna be picky when it comes to this car and its warrenty that is forsure!

#52 ·
factory spec's Mobil One thats what it will run !! Don't want them to point fingers if something happens if I change synthetics.. Warranty time this may be a deal breaker if one strays from their spec'ed oil.

They are gonna be picky when it comes to this car and its warrenty that is forsure!
Dude, you better look at page 479 of the Owner's Manual before you do your first oil change.

Reactions: melvin white
#51 ·
lets face it there is a lot of money in rad for the company. I don't think they would recomned a oil just cause they get a good buy on the oil. but then I tend to think the best of a co I buy a veh from. or I would buy from a diff company. but that is just me. I have been mobil 1 for ever. but am going to listen to mopar enginers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.