Best tire for half mile races

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by RammJaeger, Apr 21, 2016.

1. RammJaeger

RammJaeger Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've been doing half mile races with my Hellcat and with the stock Pirellis have a lot of trouble getting traction at launch, especially since the half mile races are on unprepared airplane runways. I'm looking for the best street legal drag radial that fits the stock rim, gets better traction for launches than the Pirelli, and is rated for above 150mph. The street legal drag radials I'm finding are rated to 149, and I've hit 153 in these races, and in the right weather could be hitting 155, so I really want something rated for that speed.

Anyone have any ideas? What the widest size I should safely go?

2. Tire God

Tire God Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A common misconception about speed ratings is that it dictates the top speed. The speed rating was developed in Europe due to the autobahn. Speed rating tells you at what speed the tire can go for long durations. You won't be but barely hitting that number and then slowing down. A drag tire is designed for a short burst of very high speed and then slow down. They don't have a "top speed". There are many cars that do well over 200mph on drag radials but they don't sustain those speeds for a long time. So to answer your question, assuming they allow street legal drag radials at this event, the best choice is the Mickey Thompson ET street SS or the nitto NT555R In a 275/40-20. Not many other options without wider wheels.