Best tire for traction on the street for everyday driving

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Blake, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Blake

Blake Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was wondering if anybody had any knowledge of a good set of tires that would result in better traction/0-60 times than the stock tires, but also could be used for everyday driving. I've seen a lot of talk about drag radial, but my hellcat is my everyday driver and can't afford to be stuck in the rain with drag radials. Price isn't an issue i'm just trying to save some time by seeing if anybody knows before I spend days researching every tire brand.

2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Stock tires for now because of year round driving especially if you opted for 3 season tires and once they're worn out maybe something better will be out

3. Jim Hetrick

Jim Hetrick Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do you get much rain where you live, is this your daily driver. You see to answer correctly there are questions that need to be answered, before someon can give you advise. Here is So Cal summer tires are the only way to go from the factory.

4. 2TONRCKT

2TONRCKT Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Mickey Thompson et streets 305 35 20 very soft tire. I have ran the Nitto 555's BUT IMO MT ET STREETS

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Seems pretty much everywhere I look 305 size tires are recommended on 10.5 inch minimum width wheels.
    Are you guys really stuffing them onto our stock 9.5 inch wide wheels?
    If so, any worrying about them not sitting flat or being ballooned out?

6. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ^^^ I have the same concerns! Almost pulled the trigger on those Nittos DR's 555....305/20. However there is inconclusive evidence about their performance for the streets. I am getting mixed reactions/signals everywhere. I am looking for stability on the streets as I would be predominantly driving the HC on the streets. Secondly we have summer conditions/moderate climate here in SoCal.

I'm not in a hurry to track my car yet!! If I feel "The need for Speed" or urge or get a sudden adrenalin Rush to track, I would rather avail the SRT track experience and borrow their HC car to track! Lol. If I'm not mistaken, we get some sort of a free srt track experience package with our HC purchase! Or am I missing something?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yup
    I don't think I'd put 305/35's on our 9.5" rims.
    I know people are doing it and saying it's "fine" but they haven't been trying it long enough and there IS a reason tire manufacturers say
    you should have 10.5 inch wheels. I'd be ok if they recommended 10" wheels, 1/2 inch not that big of a deal, as there is always a safety buffer in manufacturers of anything products. But going a full inch off. Yeah, too much legality and even insurance issues if one fails.
    I could see an insurance company denying coverage because they were too wide for our wheels.
    See my thread I just started regarding 295/40/20 tires that I wish they made more of, but don't.

8. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes 9.5-10.5 is too much of a variance. There is a reason why discount tire and other tire companies are shying away from mounting these. I am highly skeptical about voiding the warranty due to compliance failure. Manufacturers of high performance cars like the HC, gt500 and corvette etc. have a zero tolerance stance if there is a deviation from what has been prescribed or pre documented. In other words standard operating procedures.

It is true that the SRT engineers successfully ran these tires to get the ground breaking 10:48 timing/NHRA certification, however it remains unclear as to what took place behind the scenes like modifications, compromises etc etc. in order to achieve the desired results. There was talk about 275 M/T dr's....now that looks like a more realistic and viable option. I will look into your thread as well with reference to the 295's...

9. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ^^ 295's have a recommended wheel width of 10
    reality that's probably within safety buffers. But at this stage, as I stated I won't be putting 305/35's on a 9.5 inch rim.

10. themarshall

themarshall Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    What I hear from Nitto's---Race all day and drive home in rain. I think 555 type. Go on Nitto's web site and check this out for yourself. Always be safe.

11. terryturner

terryturner Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Driver72 have u come across anything for a 295/40 yet? Preferably a "3 season" tire

12. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I stopped looking.
    The issue with the 295/40 is that it will be significantly taller than the stock 275/40 tire.
    This means a taller sidewall, which in turn means a mushier ride and decreased handling.

If you live in an area with bad roads, this might not be too bad of a thing however.
    But in the process you are also raising your final drive ratio so you will get better gas mileage on the road when cruising but worse acceleration.
    If you want the 295/40 tires, and want to keep the same amount of acceleration as you get with the stock 275/40 tires, look into swapping out the rear diff gears to the 3.09's that is out now. Apparently it's about $1,700+ including install at a dealer.

I went with 315/35/20
    Same size as stock (actually when put side by side these 315/35's are about 1/8th-1/4 inch taller than stock 275/40's) but they are just much wider than stock so there's more rubber on the road. Bad news here is you need 10.5 inch wheels to properly mount the 315's on. And unless you are willing to spend $1,200 PER WHEEL for 10.5 inch wheels, you will gain 3-5 lbs in weight per wheel/tire in the rear.
    Hard to get 1 inch wider wheels with 1.5 inch wider tires without gaining a bit of weight, if you don't want to spend a fortune on the wheels.

13. terryturner

terryturner Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok. I'm not planning on swapping wheels anytime soon. Have thought about DS and rear end but that'll be down the road as well

• Like Like x 1
  14. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ive got the nitto's...no issues....never driven in rain, but they do just fine in any temp on the street....

0-60 3.5 on the street

if you want good 0-60's your gonna have to give up normal tires and get DR's

i dont think your going to find 3.5 second performance w/o dr's

15. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am happy with the stock "summer tires" you said on the street every day driving.