Big Day Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Lord Hellcat, May 22, 2015.

1. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For you guys and girls that are recent members on here and don't know. I live in the UK. I've been through the same torment as most of you have on here apart from the added fraught issues with buying the car through a good mate who lives stateside. Organising the shipping and praying it arrived still in one piece when it got here.
    I had the car at home for as couple of days then my good friend and mechanic Brian delivered the car to a company in Norwich that would carry out the UK light conversion and arrange what is called an IVA test. With that done we can apply for the cars UK registration.
    Car passed the IVA test but we had to loose the amber running lights which is a real disappointment. We may try and solve this one later. Also had to fit a small side repeater on the front wings which have been smoked out after the test so they should not be too obvious. Brian picked the car up from Norwich Wednesday and has been sorting a few bits and pieces that I wanted fitted.
    They have polished the car and taken a nasty scratch out of the drivers side rear wing. Fitted ZL1 addons rock guards. The Hellcat logo for the fuel door. The Hellcat door projector lights and the hideaway front license plate. Looks cool.
    Tomorrow morning I am driving up to Suffolk with the missus to finally collect my Hellcat. Technically I need to wait until the vehicle shows live on the DVLA data base. But I've borrowed Brian's trade plates and I've had enough of waiting. Especially as Monday is a bank holiday. So finally at long last I am the proud owner of a pitch black A8 Challenger Hellcat :D:D:D

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats again. What bank holiday is it?

3. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well hello my friend. So how long did the required conversions take, fortnightly? Please post pics as soon as you can.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Link

Link Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrates my friend!!

5. darin skelly

darin skelly Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You've been through bloody hell. But worth it for a hellcat

6. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Grtz, I am truly glad that this long journey of yours is finally coming to a good ending! May you drive happily ever after! :D

April

7. Shake&Bake

Shake&Bake Back to (1) Club?

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Fortnightly, cool word

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was going to wait until next Saturday to update as it would have been a fortnight ;) since I picked my Cat up

"A fortnight is a unit of time equal to 14 days (2 weeks). The word derives from the Old English: fēowertyne niht, meaning "fourteen nights".[1][2] Fortnight and fortnightly are commonly used words in the English-speaking world, where some wages, salaries and social security benefits are paid on a fortnightly basis,[3] except North America, where it is rare outside of some Canadian regions and insular traditional communities (e.g. Amish) in the United States. American and Canadian payroll systems may use the term biweekly in reference to pay periods every two weeks. Neither term should be confused with semimonthly (in one year there are 26 fortnightly or biweekly versus 24 semimonthly pay periods)."

I know I am preaching to the converted. But I still remember all the posts from the lucky people that had bagged their Cats early on saying to be patient and that it is really worth the wait. Well it really is worth the wait.

Where shall I start. Well so far with 1100 miles on the clock I have been lucky. No rad issues, no smell of coolant. No weird marks on the supercharger belt. It has not used any oil. My speakers still work. Well I think so but I've only had the radio on three times briefly. The A8 shifts silky smooth. It fires as soon as I hit the button. At parking speed I occasionally feel the power steering drop out. According to the TSB mine should be running the newer fluid but I'm guessing I'll have to get Brian to drain and refill the system. It is not the end of the world but it can be slightly annoying.

The panel gaps and build quality seem excellent. Far better than I was expecting. So far I can't find a blemish in the paint save for two bits of snot on the cross bar just in front of the radiator. I can live with that. Mates that have seen it have been blown away. They have all said that the pics just don't do the Hellcat justice. In the flesh it looks properly menacing. All impressed by the performance but also how smooth the car is even at idle. Especially Kerry as it does not make her feel sick when I nail it. The supercharger whine seems to be pretty much drowned out by the exhaust. You do hear it but the exhaust over awes it. The performance is breath taking. I like the way you can just drive it on the throttle. Down hill, no throttle it down shifts. Rolling up to a line of traffic it down shifts. Hardly have to use the brakes.

The handling. I run it in street mode. Far stiffer than I imagined it would be with no noticeable body roll. Very impressed. Sure you can feel the weight if you go barrelling into a real fast corner, but to those journos that complain that the car does not handle, they are talking absolute rubbish. On the run back I tried sport and track mode. Suspension adjusts in an instant. Street mode does not make my ***** tits wobble.

Attention. Well it sure does get a lot of looks. I've had people taking pictures and shouting out cool car or nice car mate. Stuff like that. My neighbour last week. I really like that. We hired a Charger just like that when we were in the states last year. I could not be bothered to point out mine is missing two doors. As yet and as I guessed there will be only a handful of people in the UK that knows what a Hellcat is. I'm sure some recognise it as a Challenger but most people like it because it is so different to the boring euro boxes we see everyday. Yesterday I drove down to see a good mate who is a 911 guru. Steve and his father like their American cars. He took it for a drive and was blown away buy it. Really impressed. Pete who owns the farm that he is on was also suitably impressed. Loved the fact it had stayed true to the original Challenger shape and recognised the rear lights right away. He used to build monster trucks and has owned a myriad of American cars, trucks and rigs. The only one he talks about is an L88 Corvette that he said was undriveable. He still has a Lightning that he bought back in 2005 with 6,000 miles on it. Shame it is silver and not black.

I will post some pics by BigBen and around London. But I still have not received my UK registration papers and I do not want any agro with the City of London Police. Everything is camerad up in London so I'll be patient. Hopefully the paper work should be through this week.

Once again thanks to all those like huggytree that pointed me in the right direction as to how to bag a Cat. BF might be a real nice guy but you guys still waiting need to bag one a.s.a.p. There is nothing out there that is better in my opinion. :D

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  9. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great write up, an enjoyable read! I can feel your excitement between the words!! I am thrilled that you love it, graemel!

April

10. Lord Hellcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    UK registration came through this week so all road legal. Spent the afternoon cleaning the Cat. The paint is perfect. No runs no blisters or snots. There is a hint of orange peel more so on the sides but I think that can be detailed out. Fit and finish is excellent. The drivers side leading edge of the bonnet sits a fraction high. I think that can be sorted out by adjusting the rubber buffer.
    The attention you get is hilarious. I met my brother in law Gary at his local pub for lunch. They were doing a barbecue. A mate of his Bob turned up hoping I would bring the Cat. He's been watching youtube stuff on the Hellcat and knows what it is all about. Some young kids were also there, relatives of the pub landlord. They freaked out when they saw the Cat. Hit the remote start that blew their mind. One kid said who's in it. Another said no one. Their jaws dropped.
    So I took Bob, Gary and the youngest kid for a ride. Way too much traffic to enjoy the Cat but they got the general gist of things.
    A couple of days back I took my mate Loz out for a curry. He's seen the Cat but never been in it. He's a graphic artist by trade, a 911 fanatic, only old school and a muscle car fan. He is nuts in a nice way. "Its incredible". When we got back home I had to drop him by the side of the road so he could take in the drive by. He was blown away buy its street presence. Its the seen from Bullet times 10. The part where the Musi emerges in the Chargers rear view mirror. I knew what he was thinking. He then walked the last half mile home to my house as he wanted to dwell on it. Lit them up when I left him. First time I felt the traction control kick in.
    After its bath today I ran it up the road to dry off the brakes and fill the tank up. Found my first guy that knew what it was. He was one car back on my left at a set of lights. He asked if I could give the car a rev. I obliged. He then shouted. You running the red key or the black key . Red key. Its the only one to use.
    What a piece of kit this car is :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. KLR CAT

KLR CAT Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Must be like something out of this world over there. Can only imagine it next to a sea of little twingos and the like looking evil hell. Congrats.

12. yurdaddy

yurdaddy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The car can be a little dodgy when stepping on full throttle.