BIG ENGINE PROBLEM!!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by EVILCAT, Jul 7, 2015.

1. EVILCAT

EVILCAT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Our Hellcat was made in January 2015 and we picked it up to take home May 23, 2015. We've had her for under 2-months and she has been pampered, she is only at 900 km (300 km from Brandon to Wpg Canada) and was doing great...until this past Friday, July 3rd 2015. She was hesitant to start late afternoon and I noticed a white puff of smoke that came out exhaust. Phoned my husband who came home to investigate. Found that the white smoke also had a smell that seemed to be Anti-freeze! So he checked the oil and nothing...the car continued to have issues to start and then the check engine light came on. We called the dealer down the street at 5:30 p.m. who said to bring her in Saturday morning at 9 am, so we did. We were all excited to bring her out to her first car show on the Sunday. After the technician did a diagnostic and visual inspection he came up to me with a un-nerving look - he advised that he was really sorry to tell me this but we'd couldn't drive her and would have to leave her at the shop. As it seemed he assumed that one of the Head Gaskets was leaking anti-freeze, worst case that the Engine block may need replaced. OMG this was TERRIBLE news and I cried...like watching a child in surgery. We waited 10 months for our EVILCAT to drive her for not even 2 months...for her to go into the shop with Engine problems??!! Technician understood my emotions and said that Chrysler told them not to do anything until Monday when they could give them directions. We left the dealership and the first thing I did was call Chrysler's customer service line super upset at all of this, provided my concerns but I didn't feel like my concerns were going to be responded too. Ok missed our first car show...waited until Monday. So yesterday (Monday) came, as you can imagine we had a pretty emotional weekend, technicians did their due diligence that Chrysler advised (provided pictures, diagnostic sheet, black box print out, gasket review, etc.) and now we are waiting on the decision from Chrysler. The technician advised us though that his analysis and understanding on what is taking place is that the issue is within the Supercharger!! WOW if things couldn't get any worse here they just did! This means that they may need to replace the whole fricken ENGINE! OMG my heart is hurting so bad! Our green baby might need full heart surgery! We are now waiting to hear the decision from Chrysler...honestly if the problem is within the Engine they best REPLACE IT! We will not be held responsible for this at all. This is a factory issue as we babied this car completely! We haven't even put the pedal down to the floor, I've detailed her 4 times personally and she's covered in garage every night. I hear others who have raced their cars on tracks etc., we have not. Chrysler has to do something for us at this point here...I'm so not happy! We are paying for a giant paperweight at this point. Now if it is the Engine to be replaced our baby will be in the shop for over a month! So I'm paying for the car and insurance, waited 10 months to get a taste of our dream car for under 2 months, only to park her due to problems from Chrysler. No contact from Chrysler at all...I think the least they could do for us is a $1000k gift card and free oil changes for a year to cover our head aches, emotions and time to wait. We will be putting out $2000 for the month of July to pay for this car and insurance for it to be parked...I don't think I'm asking a lot of Chrysler here as compensation. Please replace our Engine and provide us with a full apology and Gift card to satisfy this problem. I'm sure they will want to diagnose the Engine anyways to ensure that all of you don't have the same issue...and have a mass engine recall on their hands. I'll update once I know more...please keep us in your thoughts. We are trying to stay strong and patient here...

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry,

they should offer you a free loaner car, No way the car is in the shop for a month.

They can swap out that engine in a day or so. FCA should ship the dealer a brand new create engine and the dealer can swap it out. You will have to break in another engine.

Its a mechanical item, it was built and it can be rebuilt, unlike a human being.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. EVILCAT

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks yes we know it can be fixed, it's just emotional for us. We do treat and love our cars like part of the family...as others do with pets. Plus it's our dream car and patience has been very hard through this process...just to wait again. The dealer advised it might take up to a month to complete.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry to hear this. Hopefully they get you back on the road soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like they are doing a fair job so far. Once they hear from Chrysler about what will need to be done, i'm sure they will give you a loaner, most dealers would. I wouldn't expect a gift card or anything. You took them a car that needed work, and it was over a weekend and a holiday weekend. Understandably it would take a little longer then normal to get responses. I'd be curious to hear what the problem with the SC would be? If its something as "simple" as a head gasket, its not something that is totally unusual on a boosted motor. Yes i know "its a new car, only 300km etc", but its still mechanical and built by hand. Anything can fail whether it be at 1 mile or 100000 miles. Hopefully they get you a response today and it doesn't take too long.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dHL0L

dHL0L Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Seriously? This is a joke right? I'm sorry the car is having issues but you are not entitled to an apology or gift card.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. kbench55

kbench55 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Reading your post, are you thinking they are going to hold you responsible? Not sure why Chrysler has to do something extra for you this is the reason that there is warranty and by the sounds of it they have been working very quick to try and figure this out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. EVILCAT

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If there isn't anything nice to say when someone is upset, usually its best not to say anything at all. This is a site for support not bash. I'm only looking at the big picture here...we got a lemon plain and simple. I'm sure you'd be upset if this was the case for you. The car will be fixed...but Seriously it's a brand new car and Should NOT have these issues already...

The dealership has been awesome and I'm sure Chrysler will be great about things too. I'm not expecting anything to compensate but it would be a nice gesture in the situation is all I'm saying. We don't need a loaner car we have other vehicles.

9. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    one month has to be very worst case. I understand it will take time to ship a new engine, then R&R it. But lets hope it doesn't take weeks for somebody at a desk to rubber-stamp the approval.

I needed a new trans in my Ram 2500 Cummins. It went out just before the Mopar Nationals,
    the Dealer got a new trans on a pallet overnight and installed it next day. I think the truck was out for 3 days. while not an engine it was a big job, the transfer case came out, all of the lines and coolers also replaced with the new trans, they did not want to take any chances.

• Like Like x 3
  10. EVILCAT

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No I don't think we'll be held responsible, just advising that we babied this car. So far so good...it's the waiting period that I'm concerned with here. We only have so many months in Canada to drive custom cars due to winters...and we've already waited long enough for this car...just to wait again. She'll get fixed we know, it's just frustrating.

11. EVILCAT

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well that is great to hear things were so efficient for you! We will cross our fingers that this will be the same for us. Thanks for sharing. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. EVILCAT

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you! :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wouldn't say you got a lemon, a lemon would imply multiple problems, often times the same problem over and over. Not saying the issue doesn't suck, hope it turns out to be a quick fix for you. I had mine for 3 days before it had to go in for a week so i know how you feel. I just didn't chalked it up to "shit happens" and let them do their jobs, all will be well

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There have been at least two other instances on this forum where members had a leak in the exchanger below the supercharger. Both cases they replace the supercharger ASSEMBLY and not the entire motor. Think of it as a split radiator, except this one is located below the supercharger. Good luck to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. WNY Cat

WNY Cat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Let us know if the supercharger is the problem.

Being a Hellcat owner and an engineer myself, the design of the supercharger makes me a little nervous and I question the long term reliability. The supercharger has two internal heat exchangers (intercoolers) that have coolant running through them that is circulated by an electric pump. The typical heat exchanger (radiator) is designed to function for a minimum of seven years (I used to work at a radiator manufacturer). How often do radiators fail? We have seen numerous posts about failures on this site.

The problem is that when a radiator fails, the antifreeze just blows out into the atmosphere and/or your garage floor. When these intercoolers fail, the antifreeze is going to be blown directly into the combustion chambers (pistons). I'm not sure if there are any warning lights that will come on indicate a leak in the system. I think 15 to 20 years down the road we will hear more about seized engines or people driving hellcats with no coolant in the intercooler system because they can't afford to fix the leak.

This photo shows the supercharger disassembled. You can see the heat exchangers in between the orange gaskets.

hellcat_blower_open.jpg

I'd like to hear some input from DrBuick and fnkychkn .

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1