Billet Technology Catch Can - Connector Issue -

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by Robo21, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Has anyone had this issue with the Billet Tech. Catch Can? The straight connector with 2 clips doesn't grasp the fitting on the engine and stay attached. The first time I fired up the engine after the catch can installation the aforementioned connector/hose popped off causing a massive vacuum leak and subsequent racing idle to 2,000 RPM.

This because the two clips or fingers did not firmly grasp the ridge on the PCV intake connector. See photos. I immediately shut her down but not before the check engine light came on. It threw 3 codes: P2172 (High airflow/vacuum leak), U1424 (implausible engine torque signals), and P1DD2 (electronic throttle control issue? not important anyway).

For some reason this straight plastic fitting supplied by Billet Technology doesn't even come close to securing the longer hose to the engine fitting. I used a worm drive hose clamp to gently hold the clips in place until I can contact Billet Technology for a better looking, permanent solution.

For the price of this catch can I feel strongly that better fittings need to be supplied. Given their excellent customer service and customer oriented business model I have no doubt whatsoever that they will help resolve the issue.

After clearing the code and securely clamping the hose on everything is back to normal.

Once again, I would appreciate it if other Billet Tech catch can owners could share their experiences with securing the longer hose with the straight connector. Were you able to get away with no additional clamping? We can't have these hoses blowing off randomly it could be annoying at best or dangerous at worst.

20160426_172836.jpg

This close up below shows the plastic fingers that are supposed to engage the rib on the PCV intake connector tube. This is where the hose blew off causing the massive vacuum leak and check engine light.
    20160426_172530.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  2. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've got 2k mile on since I mounted it, no problem yet. It's not a firm click.

You can cut the stock hose and fitting and attach it to your catch can fitting.

3. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine had no click at all. I will look at the stock hose fitting that is definitely a better solution than the hose clamp. I wish it had I nice firm 'click'

4. David Neibert

David Neibert SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree that the straight fitting felt a little flimsy and had a loose fit when installing. I think I'll put a black zip tie around the straight fitting instead of a hose clamp.

IMG_6214.JPG

David

5. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi David,
    The hose clamp was just a temporary fix until BT could send out a replacement connector which they promptly shipped by Priority Mail. Even though a backfire through the intake is very unlikely and may not happen again for quite awhile, I didn't want to take a chance and have to reset the check engine light again. Also, if the hose blew off getting on the freeway it could create even worse issues. The black zip tie is definitely a nicer looking option than the hose clamp and would apply enough pressure to keep the connector attached in all likelihood.

I haven't had time to try the new connector yet, but will probably get to that today and report back to this thread.

By the way, your catch can looks great in black!

Robin

6. David Neibert

David Neibert SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Robin,

Why did they send you a new connector ? Is the new connector they are sending the same design, or something more like the factory connection ? I assume it's the same because I just got my BT catch can on Thursday and it came with the same connector as in your picture. The zip tie is just less noticeable than the clamp and I'll probably go ahead and add one to the straight connector, just for piece of mind.

David

7. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    This can happen when fashion overtakes function...

No such issues with my JLT. Hoses preconfigured with properly securing factory style connectors

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They sent the new connector based on the assumption that the first one was defective. From what I can see it is no different than the first one. In the event it doesn't grip any better than the first, I will either try using the OEM connector or the BT straight connector with black zip tie. The hose clamp has got to go. I would definitely go with something to secure the straight connector for peace of mind. Their customer service says that they never blow off but they did on mine and I wouldn't chance it.

After all, why would the Dodge engineers use such a sturdy connector on the OEM connection if it was not necessary?

9. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine should be in this week!! I'll being checking this out!!

10. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So far I just left the hose clamp on as pictured above. The zip tie didn't provide enough grip to prevent the fingers from slipping off.

11. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Leave the hose clamp for now, or use the oe connectors. For now.

Quick connects like whats provided with most (catch can offerings) I've never believed in.

And your right in questioning why did Dodge select what they did in some respects. Eg, those are rated against Methanol / Ethanol, many aren't. (Just an example nothing too do with attachment reliability.)

12. unclerizzo

unclerizzo Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I installed mine this weekend, was not happy with that fitting. I only started the Cat, but did not drive anywhere. I was wondering why they didn't use a factory like fitting. Going to try to use factory clip, this weekend.

13. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with you 100% TallCool1. Leaving the hose clamp for now boils down to common sense. And earlier today my wife saw me outside fiddling with the catch can connections and said, "leave the clamp alone, you can barely see it and then only if you are looking for it and it works great - that connector will only come off when you want it to. Your catch can looks beautiful."

This is the same wife that 5 weeks ago encouraged me to buy the Hellcat instead of the Charger SRT 392, "because it's what you really wanted all along." I count my blessings.

14. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    One great thing about this site is the healthy opinions from different owners, so thanks Cereal Killer for setting the website up.

IMO there's no "issue" with the straight black BT fitting. I've been using it (un- ziptied or clamped) now for nearly 2000 miles :

No runs.
    No drips.
    No errors!

Cars hit plenty of full throttle 5 to 10 sec bursts, all systems nominal. I'll agree the supplied fitting seems to slide on easy but the fingers hold it on fine to date.

FWIW On a somewhat related note, here's how much oil I've 'caught' in 1837 miles.

20160505_101510.jpg