Bizarre Hellcat Behavior??? What in the World?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Robo21, May 18, 2016.

1. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    5 minutes ago I was sitting at my desk finishing up my office work at my home office. I get a call from my neighbor telling me that the tail lights are glowing on the Hellcat which is sitting in the driveway under a car cover. I hadn't hit any buttons on the remote, no locking or unlocking, nothing.

I went out and checked for an open trunk, windows down, door unlocked, glove compartment open, anything that might explain this bizarre event.

I don't know what could be causing this, I trust my neighbor, she even came out when I went out to discuss the event. She assured me she hasn't been drinking - a joke - she never drinks.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Called SRT and we concluded that somehow I must have hit the unlock button on the key fob just as my neighbor looked out her window. I don't remember hitting the fob at all but I guess it's the only answer. That is the only button that would turn on the lights for any length of time. Sorry for the false alarm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Um, first thing that came to mind was if you had the key in your pocket and accidentally pressed a button when sitting down or leaning against a counter, etc. If that is not the case, then I got nuttin'. I will be watching this thread to see if anyone can solve this mystery.

April

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That had to be it April, but what's weird is the fob wasn't in my pocket it is attached to a belt loop on my jeans with a carabineer. It's possible I hit it but not that likely. So as in Sherlock Holmes "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hammer Down

Hammer Down Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So, I know when I have my keys in my pocket and I wash the car. If I get anywhere near the door handle, it unlocks the car and the lights go on for a few seconds. I wonder if it will flick the lights if the keys are not near. Meaning, I wonder if the wind caused the car cover to activate the door handle sensor, but obviously would not unlock because the keys are not near, but would still activate the lights for a few seconds.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Possible except that the weather is calm this evening, slight breeze, no wind. But I am going to test that theory by moving the cover myself. Good idea.

Back to the fob theory, another reason I initially didn't think I hit the unlock button is that I am 3 rooms away through 3 load bearing walls and about 45 feet to the car. But we just tested the fob and it works at that range, no problem. Impressive range on this thing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Yep this happens to me all of the time.

I've started my car from several hundred feet away before. It has pretty good range and if you use the UConnect app on your phone it has even greater range.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My range sucks....damn near gotta be inside the car for it to start....about my only complaint

• Like Like x 1
  9. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    AFAIK, FOBIK requests will only flash the tail lamps, not what I would consider "glow".

• Like Like x 1
  10. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think your car was looking for a little attention......have you been ignoring it?:D:D

Just a few days ago.....I'm sitting in my office at home and my wife comes in yelling at me "Why did you start the car?" Yep.....key fobs, plural, in my front pants pocket.....must have aligned perfectly to hit the start button twice. Or.....the Jeep fob was jealous of the red fob and got to scrapping with it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My father in law who is a world war 2 vet and is pretty deaf from the big guns kept starting his car with his keys in his pocket sitting at Sunday dinner. Car was about 50 feet away and he was inside. I told him and he went out to see and it had shut off by then of course. It happens again a while later and he told me I was crazy. He went out again and it was still running. He could not hear it so he got in the car and tried to start it to show us it was not running? GRIND. Not good. We then had him put his hand over the exhaust. That worked.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would keep monitoring it without losing your mind. It was probably just the key But it's worth it the keep a eye on it

• Like Like x 1
  13. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My story...a short one...at a car show, wiping down the Hellcat, FOB in pocket...panic alarm engaged...LOL. I keep my key FOB in a silk draw string "sack" (no laughing), my hands were full, damp and generally not ready to dig in my pocket, retrieve my "sack", unfurl the draw string, extract the FOB, disengage the panic alarm...but I did it anyway...looked like a Barnum & Baily Circus act...free entertainment and annoying sounds for the crowd that gathered. Good thing my fly was secure...I guess...that's my story.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Booky

Booky Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I use the coin operated car wash, the lights on my Hellcat will turn on for like 30 seconds, then off, over and over again as I walk around spraying the car down.

I am not putting any pressure on the fob, so the water itself must be triggering something.

I think it happens when I am spraying near the door handles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    This will happen when the fob is detected and water hits the underside of the front door handle (if you have the option for walking up and touching to unlock enabled). If you car was locked and that happens, it will be unlocked.