Black Challenger Hellcat - Paint Correction & CQuartz Finest - Gilbert,Az

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Detailing' started by Wills.WindowsAndWheelsAz, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Wills.WindowsAndWheelsAz

Wills.WindowsAndWheelsAz Hellcat Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    [​IMG]

A couple of months back we had the pleasure of doing a full paint correction and apply the CQuartz Finest treatment to this beautiful black Hellcat. This would be the 6th Hellcat in Arizona receiving this treatment.

Being a few months old, it already had some signs of wear, but we'll get to that shortly. First up was the prep wash!

[​IMG]

For those who haven't seen, this is the wash area of our new shop! Here is where we clean the tires, rims, wheel wells and all the other nasty stuff prior to pulling it into the garage. As always, spotless water making life easier when having to wash in full sun out in Gilbert, Arizona.

[​IMG]

Once pulled in, we clayed the paint to remove any remaining bonded contaminates. Then, Dani did her taping magic to protect all the plastic trim pieces on this baby. The red and black looked pretty cool.

Next it was time to inspect the paint under some high-powered LED lights. While the overhead lighting in our shop is great, it still falls well short of being able to spot the defects we'll be going after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While this paint was metallic black, as usual black is quite easy to see defects on. Once we spotted our enemy, it was time to figure out our attack plan. This is where we go about doing a "test spot"...which lets us know what combo of pads, product, pressure and machine will best work for this specific car.

Once we'd cracked the code, it was time to get on the grind and make this beast look the way it should.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The paint started showing its true colors ...

[​IMG]

The metal flake really started to pop...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Make no mistake, there is a LOT of paint to polish on these big boys. But, that doesn't mean you forget about all the small areas..

[​IMG]

Ouch !

[​IMG]

A nice improvement! A little clean up needed around the badging, but the paint cleaned up nicely.

Slowly but surely these....

[​IMG]

Turned into this,

[​IMG]

Paint selfie:

[​IMG]

Once the paint had be polished to its glossiest state, it was time to do an Eraser wipe down, prepping the paint for CQuartz Finest. This step insures there is no polish residue, finger print oil or anything else that could interfere with Finest bonding to the paint.

[​IMG]

Onced prepped it was time to apply the most exclusive, best looking and best protecting paint coating available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Id say thats glossing up nicely

2. Wills.WindowsAndWheelsAz

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not to be forgotten...the wheels too were prepped to receive Finest. This helps a lot with clean up of brake dust during maintenance washes.

[​IMG]

Tires were dressed with Carpro's PERL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once two coats had been applied and allowed to cure...it was time for some beauty shots. Gloss like this doesn't come from your over the counter wax or corner car wash....gloss like this comes from taking hours to pamper every inch...in prep, polish and protection. The end results say it all...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Id say you could shave in that

[​IMG]

The owner of this car was none other than the winner of the 2010-2011 NCAA 125 lbs weight class wrestling championship, Anthony Robles (an ASU home town hero!) The license plate was very appropriate....when we asked him about it...he said it was a quote from one of his favorite movies, "Tombstone".

[​IMG]

Anyone who's watched this movie would agree Val played the best Doc Holliday ever...just saying.

End of the day, we made the ugly paint "say when" and left this baby looking the way it should.

[​IMG]

Thank you all for taking a look...hope you enjoyed!

3. SC DETAILEL

SC DETAILEL Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very Nice!!

HUMP

4. Merlin

Merlin Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Excellent work!

[​IMG]

5. C. Charles Hahn

C. Charles Hahn Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Killer work as always, Wills and Daniela! That Hellcat is now one heavenly kitten!

6. HellScoot

HellScoot Silver Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Beautiful Pics. I just had this treatment done to mine and the results are outstanding. I think CQuartz is the best coating, just pops like no other! Great work!

7. Wills.WindowsAndWheelsAz

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Charlie! She was definitely purring when she left. Comes in every 2-3 weeks for a maintenance wash...so nice cleaning a black car that's been coated with Finest.

So glad to hear that :). The crazy thing is it'll continue to pop like that for years to come...just washing it gives the same visual results as a full detail...pretty nice in my opinion :)

8. Wills.WindowsAndWheelsAz

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you, much appreciated!

I have to admit, that was one of my favorite pictures as well :)

9. Mr. Robert Lee Jones

Mr. Robert Lee Jones Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If you do this to your car and then get the whole car wrapped in clear will the car look perfect for a really long time? Will the clear wrap protect the perfect paint finish?

10. Wills.WindowsAndWheelsAz

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In my experience I've only had one customer with a Z06 have the ENTIRE car wrapped. Once it was wrapped he had us apply CQuartz Finest on top of the paint protection film ..this helped to add gloss, slickness and make maintenance much easier.

I have had customers who want Finest applied both under, and on top of the clear film. This isn't a MUST do....but you know how some of us car guys go above and beyond whats really needed :)

Typically, owners will have us inspect the paints condition prior to having clear bra installed. If there are major paint defects (especially water spots) then we will first polish the areas that will be receiving clear bra. Then, clear bra will be installed....and finally we will polish the rest of the car (if there are panels that were not wrapped) and apply CQuartz Finest to the entire vehicle, both film and bare paint.

I see you are you Scottsdale - I'm not sure if you have a film installer chosen yet, but feel free to contact me if you'd like a recommended shop up there who does outstanding work installing clear bra.

11. Mr. Robert Lee Jones

Mr. Robert Lee Jones Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

Thanks man. Please do send Scottsdale recommendation.

12. Wills.WindowsAndWheelsAz

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Private message sent

13. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My 2015 Hellcat had CQF before Xpel. It was the 3rd time I did that, despite what Xpel says. The other cars it wasn't Xpel. I've used nano coatings under other wrap brands. Protection and cosmetic wraps.

I have never had a wrap adhesion issue doing so. Never.

I have watched cars getting protection and cosmetic wraps removed. And witnessed 1st hand clear coat damage caused by the adhesive chemicals that bond the wrap, and the emulsifiers wrap installers sometimes used, that soften clear coats to improve adhesion.

Whether or not wrap adhesives do anything to clear coats that are used today I don't know. One Audi I saw last year had a protection wrap removed after being on the car for 4 years. The clear coat wasn't correctable.

I removed a bad cosmetic rear end wrap off the 2015 Hellcat, installer did horrible job. Below it was CQF. Wrap came off in minutes, clear coat was perfect after light cleaning.

My 2016 Hellcat will have nano coats before Xpel.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wills.WindowsAndWheelsAz

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thats a pretty cool story. I have installed Finest prior to a wrap being done for customers who requested it and there have been no adhesion issues just as you said. I've removed clear bra that was around 3 years old...the portions on plastic (front clip and mirrors) was super easy, however the portion on the fenders was quite difficult (car was black and I'm assuming the surface temp of the metal got much higher than that of plastic). It came off but there was adhesive left over that needed to removed. Most times as long as the person who is doing the removal is careful, the clear underneath will be ok. But the longer a clear film stays on a car (stories I've seen were time of 7+ years of being on the car) is when it becomes difficult and it comes off in little pieces rather than one full sheet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah Will I see a lot of hesitation around applying a coating prior to a wrap. And I get it the wrap makers steer people clear. And I think they do that because there are coatings the could create issues with adhesion. On my 2016 I've decided to use Gtechniq (not that I dislike CQF I have had stellar results.) It will see 4 coatings initially. 2 are the base / finish Crystal Serum coats. Next EXO and last C2. I'll stop after Crystal Serum and then apply Xpel. Then layer EXO and C2 next. Because the EXO is a hybrid and IMO that would be something that could cause Xpel adhesion issues. I did the same on the 2015 car; 2 coats CQF, Xpel, 2 more CQF and then recently started maintenance washes with Hydrofoam, which adds a top coat over the CQF. (Stunning results.) I'd have been leery using the Hydrofoam prior to the Xpel application for the same reasons. If it's a Si02 type coating I haven't witnessed problems using them before a wrap. I could see many hybrid coatings and some organic based coatings causing issues with wraps. (Like your work.)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015