Black hood and carwash woes

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by bighit2883, Jun 12, 2016.

1. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So i took the car for a touch free wash yesterday. I think the damn thing dripped grease onto my car and since it was hot out i think it burned into the paint. There are several hundred little drops of burnt looking circles just along the driver side of the hood and even on the rims. I washed it again. Even used a 50/50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol on it....nothing. they disappear for a minute and slowly come back. Also i noticed 2 tiny pin head spots where i can see green showing thru. Small chip?? For some reason i thought when they painted the hood (after market) that they would have scuffed or sanded the original paint off not just painted over it.

2. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Try 50/50 vinegar. That's the only thing that would remove spots from the matte black stripes on my Shelby

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  3. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just tried that....spots still there ugh. What about the paint job. Should they have scuffed the old paint and stripped it or would it be typical to just paint over the green. Seems kinda lazy just going over the old stuff that has clear coat and wax on it

4. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That sucks. Most car washes around here have cameras. Document your case with your receipt. I would be pissed

Or is your hood wrapped?

5. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They have signs all over the wash saying not responsible for any damages at all. Think im SOL. Still upset about the green paint chips now too though. No it is not wrapped it was painted satin black after market

6. MABBRYFL30

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There was some know it all clown that was telling all his buddies he spent all of this money on a special paint up charge in his car. There were 7 of his buddies or onlookers when I walked up. He was giving some dissertation on how to take care of a matte finish hood. He made the mistake to open the hood and it was green. I said to him I think your buddy missed s spot when he wrapped it. I could hear him saying as I walked away. How the f did that guy know to one of his cronies. Confusious say one should pay attention when SRT tech pdi's one and the whole hood is black. Boy that kid was mad as a one legged midget at ihop. (Larry the cable guy joke)

7. MABBRYFL30

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How could they not be responsible for equipment failure. Could be hydraulic fluid is corrosive

8. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Try the H-D Denim spray cleaner designed for Matte finishes. It's worth a shot...

9. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry to hear your tale of woe! You've experienced exactly the nightmare that my dealer / body shop advised about when I considered having my Sublime hood aftermarket painted because of numerous factory delays. (I don't think a factory painted black hood would be any less vulnerable to the damages that you described from the car wash - in fact they recommend against going to a commercial car wash touchless or not if you have a Black satin hood). Fortunately, I opted to have mine wrapped and now have switched to a Carbon Fiber hood (which can have issues on it's own!) Hope you get it resolved soon!

10. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Iirc, the hood does get scuffed, then painted. Just a light hazing to get the paint to stick better. Not a bare metal sanding

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why would you go the car wash with a Hellcat? Good for everyday drivers not fine automobiles.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I drove 3 hours to Brainerd International Raceway and it was covered in bugs. I use strictly only touch free.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Signs saying "we aren't responsible" doesn't rid them of legal action. Otherwise you could put that sign up in a hardware store and not secure anything and never be responsible if dangerous equipment kills someone.

Find out the cost to repair it if it's bodyshop or a detailer. Then sue them in small claims for the amount. Hopefully you took photos the day of infront of their place and informed them by now of the damages.

14. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Im not gunna get too worked up over it now since ive noticed 2 small chips in the paint as well. Those arent the fault of the wash. Thats just life happening and dumbasses not cleaning their flat beds before hitting the highway with rocks and gravel all over it. Ill have it repainted when winter comes rolling thru again. Im sure ill get more scuffs, scratches and what not this summer. I drive the crap out of my car so ill let it be for the summer then fix it over the winter when i cant drive it

15. SC DETAILEL

SC DETAILEL Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are dedicated water spot removers on the market, but this could be a case of too high a concentration of chemical. Since there is no friction or touch to clean the paint, the chemicals have to be amped up to remove the dirt and other contaminants. This can over time cause issues. It can also cause issues if the car wash owner has turned up the concentration to allow more throughput (more cars per hour).

HUMP