Black Key Performance

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Bubba871, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Bubba871

Bubba871 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have scoured the internet and cannot find any 0-60 or 1/4 mile times for the Hellcat using the black key. Now before anyone jumps on me about "always use the red key" I am asking this just out of curiosity. I promise to use the red key in everyday driving! :) But 500HP on a Challenger is no slouch. The 392 only has 485HP and it is a beast. Can I assume that a black key run in a Hellcat will turn the same numbers as a 392?

2. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You are correct. At the track when im bracket racing sportsmens class the cutoff is 11.50 so i have to put my cat into 500 hp mode. My dads scat pack charger runs 12.8 and with the 500 hp mode i was running like 12.4s i can't remember my exact number because its been too windy lately we have been running 8th mile. But yes they are very very similar. No need to bring the black key. Just switch it to 500 with the touch of ur srt button and custom setup.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bubba871

Bubba871 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great, thanks for the info. How low can you set the HP with the setup button? I am thinking for my wife about 400HP would be enough..

4. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just 500. If u have an automatic you can do 500 with eco mode. Makes the car very very drivable. I don't even mind 707 with eco. Makes the gas pedal not so sensitive. Feels more like a "normal" car

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Carolyn

Carolyn Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I drive with the black key cause my husband won't let me have the red key (which I am fine with cause 500 horse is way plenty for me..plus I am not a racer..he is). I don't drive like I stole it I got that car for looks. I don't care if people rag me cause I have the black key cause until I feel comfortable with the red I won't use it. It is a lot of power for me. I went from an SXT to this , not like I had the ladder to climb up to get to the HC. Should be plenty for her.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Another option is to put it in valet mode. It will limit the cat to 300HP and lock out first gear.

7. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    2015 Scat Pack Challenger was in the 12.5-12.6 range at 114mph with a 1.9 60ft (A8, stock F1 Goodyears - they like to be warm like Nittos to get good traction)

In 500HP mode, I'd suspect you'd be in the 12.3-12.5 with similar trap speeds; taking in account for the HP gain and weight differences.

Hardest part with the cat is traction and it definitely takes some finesse, moderation and feel.

Fun fact, a 425HP 6.1L Jeep Grand Cherokee with AWD can run 12.3-12.5 with a 103-106mph range. Of course, most of that is due to superb traction.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  8. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My gf drives it in 707 in street or eco. Heck even in track if you don't floor it this car is very manageable. Her daily driver is a 4 cyl Hyundai elantra. She handles the cat like a pro. She refuses to kick it down which is fine by me but i let her run errands with it and she handles the red key just fine. The car only becomes dangerous when you want it to be. Ex: track trans, 707 hp, sport tc, flooring it. If u don't kick it down theres no worries

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Cglhawk260

Cglhawk260 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    FWIW, you can drive this car like any other normal car with the black or red key. Just keep the standard SRT default settings. My wife drives with the red key and you would never know the car has 700 HP. Just don't slam the gas pedal down all the way when passing or at a stop light or drive with the TC off and watch out for the cold weather. For reference she typically drives a Ford Fusion or Focus or F150

10. Bubba871

Bubba871 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Now this would be perfect for my daughters when they come home from college and want to drive it! Thanks for the tip!

11. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We kicked it down to 500 hp the other night. It was cold out we were on the way home and had a good time anyway, and there was no chance of using the car's extra power. It was smooth and real easy to drive, yes of course it had plenty of power and it did not feel like it was going to break loose any second.

Yes, I agree driving in eco mode with 707+ makes it much better in traffic, the pedal sensitivity is way different.

Don't call me a wuss! Normally, I am all over driving in TRACK Mode, when I am alone and not in traffic (I hate traffic). LOL. Not even going to state the reasons to the choir, waste of typing time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When my other half eventually gets her backside into the drivers seat. 500bhp and eco mode sounds a good idea. She has been threatening to drive my F150 Lightning. I've owned one for 12 years and she still has not done it. Her daily driver is a Smart Car :D