Blown "O" ring out of back of water pump. What a mess!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by nkdave, Aug 1, 2015.

1. nkdave

nkdave Sublime, black hood, M6

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I blew the "O" ring that comes out of the back of the water pump to a tube (not sure where the tube goes.) made one heck of a mess. I started to smell anti-freeze and then the smoke started. I immediately shut it down. I opened the hood and there was a steady piss of Anti-freeze shooting straight back. I'll post pictures when I get a chance. Luckily it happened 1000' from my house and didn't overheat. Had tow truck there the next day and hauled to the closet dealer. Parts are ordered and should be done in a week. First Hellcat this dealer has seen, I sure hope they know what they are doing. I've never had my car out of my view, makes me sick to my stomach. Not a good feeling seeing your Hellcat on the back of a flatbed tow truck. 1100 miles and only 2 weeks since I picked the car up. I think this needs to be brought to the attention to FCA/SRT. Does anyone know how corrosive this anti-freeze is? I know others have had issues with radiators. I haven't seen anyone have a blown "O" ring out the back of the water pump.

• Like Like x 1
  2. unixadm

unixadm Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry to hear that. Were you doing anything aggressive while driving or just cruising down the road when it failed? The first year or two gremlins are never fun, but hopefully as more of these get on the road, FCA will take note of the issues and start issuing updated parts/TSB's to address recurring issues.

3. nkdave

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for your sympathy. I was pulling around 5000 RPM's in second gear, M5. Nothing out of the ordinary for a Hellcat.

4. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Always always open cases with srt. So they can track this stuff and you want repairs needed on record. Also in owner connect on line. Sorry for miss fortune it will all work out.

5. nkdave

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the advise, and sympathy. My life is so busy it's hard to find the time to look all this info up. I'll call SRT on the phone. I really hope it's an isolated case.

6. yurdaddy

yurdaddy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Been there done that

7. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    sorry to hear about this problem thanks for sharing this info that's the great thing about this forum we get info good and bad about our new. Hellcats and I'm sure these things will get worked out sorry about your problem and thanks for sharing this will help other members good luck on your fix hope you did the valet mode dont trust anybody with your hellcat

• Like Like x 1
  8. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm no expert but being it is 10 year anti-freeze I would think it is about the least corrosive as anything. One of the benefits of not using straight water is the anti rust, corrosion properties of anti-freeze. Hate you are having problems; thankful you have a warrantee and safe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. nkdave

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. nkdave

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Damn phone is acting up. Sorry about the repeat. I did put it in Valet mode. They called and wanted to do a test drive. Since I'm out of town, I approved they could test drive it around the block. I trust them, they promised they would behave!

11. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good job I hope I don't have to leave mine. You can check your top speed also just leave your top speed on it or clear it set again at lower speed and if its cleared again you know something fishey going on just thinking about what ill do if I got to leave mine just check your top speed

• Like Like x 1
  12. nkdave

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpg

13. nkdave

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The "O" ring that blew is from the black tube underneath the (white sensor with part number). You can see just a little bit of the black tube in picture. It's the only picture I have. I have a video but I couldn't get it to download on the forum. I'll try and get a better picture next week.

14. nkdave

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know my top speed is 127 MPH. It has exactly 1100 miles. They promised they are only driving it around the block! This is not what you want to see pull up in your yard! I'm glad I left the splitter protectors on. The tow truck driver did a great job, when he quit drooling. The dealership (which I didn't buy the car from) has been great so far,they put their best people with me. I was at rock star status when we pulled into the dealer. Not many cats in my area. image.jpg image.jpg

15. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Man, I hate seeing a sick cat,,, I would say you are in good hands with your dealer, She is broken-in so no harm would come if someone did get on it but you do want the rubber to stay on those back tires... You got her locked down in Valet so I would rest easy.
    Hope you cat gets well soon...

• Like Like x 1