Blue Smoke on Start-up

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Randshar, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Randshar

Randshar Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Was wondering if a catch can would eliminate the occasional "oil burning" blue smoke that comes when starting the hellcat. Mine does not ever smoke blue on the cold startups, but if you drive, park a while, then fire up, it may puff out that embarassing small blue cloud then all is fine.....car has 3,000+ miles, no racing yet...

2. hellcat562

hellcat562 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    An oil catch can is a must with our cats.

3. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I only noticed blue smoke the day my car was delivered to the dealer when on the trailer and fired up the 1st time ( under 7 miles at that time and the smoke added to the Rock Show I and the entire dealership was watching as my cat came to life) I have now been looking for it and have never seen any more smoke.

I had a low milage crown vic that would put out a puff when sitting a few days. Always wondered if it was the Mobil1 I was using. At one time word was Mobil synthetic did not pay nice with engine seals / valve seals etc but Mobil 1 denied those claims. I don't use Mobil 1 any more because of that, just in case it was the issue also years ago my Harley did not like the Mobil 1 V-twin oil as it made my engine tick. Went back to regular oil and never a tick over 15 years now,... Subaru WRX guys ( I had one) in general don't like Mobil 1 and say it causes spun bearings so I just don't use Mobil 1 with my experiences but some folks love it.

I see some others cats have some blue smoke so I am watching mine. Did you follow proper break-in? What oil are you using? I just added a catch can yesterday but like I say I don't have any smoke...yet but only 700 miles.

4. Obiefox

Obiefox Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If these $70,000 cars needed a $100 "catch can", don't you think Dodge engineers would have installed one from the factory? Modifying the PCV system on a warranted $30k motor seems like a bad idea to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I asked the same thing a while back about why it doesn't come straight from the factory with a catch can.... Best I could say is that "need" is a strong word. The engine doesn't need it, but it's very very good for the engine to have it

6. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Remember, Dodge did everything possible to minimize cost on these cars. Think about all the little things that were subtracted from a SRT-8 to cut cost. Some of them a ridiculously small amount (auto-up window switches). I do think it's funny that they didn't add one though since it could affect reliability. Their cost would be alot less than $100 for the parts....but assembly labor, updating drawings and documents, etc. etc add up to something significant.

7. gabe

gabe Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My car has 2900 miles started doing the same.
    Only at star up after 5 day of sitting in the garage.

8. greenwithenvy

greenwithenvy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Blue smoke at start up indicates oil sitting in the combustion chamber. The only reason for oil to drain into the combustion chamber while it is not running is through the valve area. A catch can only works while the car is running and yes, these cars need a catch can. Two separate issues.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My 09 SRT did the blue smoke on startup every now and then and after I cleaned the oil out of the intake and installed a catch can it stopped.

10. hellcat562

hellcat562 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is how much oil my hellcat collected in just 200-300 miles with my oil catch can. Oil into the intake is extremely bad

Attached Files:

11. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Why is it "extremely bad"?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. hellcat562

hellcat562 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oil going in along with air and into your valves is not a good thing for the long run. Just look at my oil catch can, how much oil it collected within 200-300 miles . Now images how much oil going into the valves in every oil change of 5,000 to 10,000 miles about a 1/4 of oil. I don't think that your going broke for purchasing an $100 oil catch can to really give your cat a bit of cleaner life. I care about my engine that I feel that an oil catch can is a must for me.

13. hellcat562

hellcat562 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Attached Files:

14. Peter Gozinya

Peter Gozinya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi, Just took delivery of my car yesterday. I have about 270 miles on it. What an awesome machine! Mine blew some blue smoke at startup at the dealer. I took possession of it with 2 miles. Never saw the blue since although I have been only driving constantly and in possession of it since this Friday about 6:30 PM. This car is like @$@# cocaine, it is so immense, so..... it hooks up and goes, I am only revving to about 3500-4000 and it just #$%ing rips. You really have no concept of how powerful it is until you are on the highway and you go from full chill mode to hyperspeed and you are not even taching it out. It is like you are at half throttle and already the "job" is done. Anyone thinking about gettiing this car...ANSWER= Buy it now!! It is interesting to see how the 2016's will roll out. I had to FIGHT tooth and nail for this car. I LOVE this car. The wife is already sooooo jealous of it, she is complaining about it now!! This car is the literally the best thing that I ever had the privilege of owning. To close the loop here, NO blue smoke since initial startup at dealer after being dropped. I got in and it had 2 miles. No smoke since. No codes and the car rides like a dream.

15. hellcat562

hellcat562 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know exactly what you mean, is so addictive and great on handling. Just remember every time getting behind the wheel, be safe and better to speed in the track and not in the street.

• Agree Agree x 2