Brake Pads for Track-Only Use

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Finch, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Finch

Finch Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Kind of on a time crunch here, I'm going to the track this Sunday (4/10) and I've been trying to find brake pads better than the OEM for track-only use. I'm hearing the OEM pads will fade. The track (WSIR - Willow Springs, Big Willow) isn't too abusive on brakes, but I have 6-piston Brembos and plan on using them darn it!!!

I don't want a full race pad because I've heard horror stories about how you have to get them (and keep them) decently hot to work.

I've been looking at EBC Yellowstuff or Hawk HPS5.0s but I keep seeing conflicting information where it says they also fit 2014 SRTs- which we all know 2014s only had 4-piston Brembos.

So has anyone ran EBC Yellowstuff or HAWK pads on the track before- or should I just stay with my OEM pads?

2. Milspec

Milspec Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would stick with OEM until you get more information... Get the numbers on the stock stuff to really compare fairly, I have found most of the time when I deviate from the Oem stuff I actually loose Preformance. As well why not call the manufactures of these pads directly if you have a concern about fitting

3. Finch

Finch Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I contacted both before posting here. I'm just seeing if anyone else has experience with these.

4. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd recommend another set of the stock pads.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. digdug33071

digdug33071 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Stock pads work fine. Just make sure you have at least 50% pad life remaining because you will use most of that. Also take the full cool down lap so as not to damage the rotors.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ArchGE

ArchGE VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Tracked my SRT Challenger with stock pads, 1500mi on the odo. and had no problem. A Porsche driver took her out and said the brakes were awesome. I'd make sure you have already bedded the brakes and consider upgrading the brake fluid. I ran with OEM brake fluid and limited the amount of runs somewhat. Since then I've replaced with DOT4 high temp fluid but most track guys seem to go with DOT5.1. Think it was around $110 or so to change out fluid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Shasta's Dad

Shasta's Dad Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I heard there was a Cat at Sebring this weekend, that may have some answers for you.:D

8. Finch

Finch Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Hmmm, I guess I could always pickup a 2nd pad set. And yes, I always do my cool down lap.

Yeah I'm at right under 5k on it. Going for the free first oil change Friday before the track on Sunday. Trying to decide if I want to have them do the brake fluid swap while it's there. They'll use whatever fluid I bring them. I usually do all my own work but brake fluid is not something I like to do myself.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If it's your first time out I wouldn't change pads. I would change your brake fluid to something like Motul 600.

10. Finch

Finch Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    It's my first time with this car. My R/T has 5 days of Willow Springs Big Willow, 2 days of Willow Springs Horse Thief Mile, 1 Day of Fontana/Autoclub ROVAL, and 100+ 1/4 mile passes.

11. culpster

culpster Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have run at Sebring 4 days. Replace fluid with Motul 660 and plan to bleed again WHEN they get hot. They will.
    Stock pads wore out after the first two days as a novice learning the line.
    I Replaced OEM with Powerstop Z-26. Lasted not even two sessions. Put a second set on between day 3 and 4. COOKED again. Lost two sessions and 2 happy hours because I ran out of Brakes. I know the car is really heavy for the road course but leaving everyone behind in the straightaways is effin awesome.
    I can still hear my instructor saying "watch you closing rate, watch your closing rate" I'm adding front brake ducts for cooling and looking into a good track pad/rotor combo for track use and spring rubbers to reduce the slight body roll in corners even in track mode. It handles well in the corners with the NITTO NT05's

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Hb hellcat

Hb hellcat Black Betty...BamAlam!!!

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I run factory pads and upgraded fluid. Big tracks with big speeds can really heat these things up and the added heat rating of the better fluids really helps. Factory runs just a dot 3. Most say run 4 or better. Pads are expendable and easily changed trackside. Can go through a set of pads in a weekend, but a swap and a bleed bring them right back. Seem to be easy on the rotors as well.

13. Hb hellcat

Hb hellcat Black Betty...BamAlam!!!

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Also, wanted to,point out something I learned from one of the srt track day mechanics.
    The traction and stability control system work primarily on the rear brakes and track or heavy handed use can greatly increase the rear pad usage compared to the old days where you got two or three lives out of the rear compared to the front. They were having major issues with rear pad use and finally figured out why.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. culpster

culpster Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes the traction control on any vehicle on the track will wear the pads prematurely.

15. Wack_Cat

Wack_Cat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What about braided steel lines?