Break-in "modes" question ...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Steppenwolf, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf VIP Hellcat Member

Running hard ... in the Wasteland of my Mind.
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Read thru the Hellcat break-in procedure on speed and RPM output that were copied from the owner's manual, but didn't see any about what mode settings to use during break-in.

When you went thru the break-in process on your HC, what modes did you set up? Econ v. Street mode? What suspension mode, etc.? Just looking for a list of the correct, or recommended, modes for break-in ...

Also, did you use the black key v. red key during break-in, or does it matter?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Link

Link Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Doesn't really matter, most people here believe that the break-in period is more for the driver than the car. Each car engine gets dyno time before installation, so it is good to go.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PhantomWorks

PhantomWorks Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Totally agree with you Link. The driver and the tires. I traded my pro-charged SRT8 for the Hellcat and I had my foot through the floorboard coming out of the dealer after buying it! The engine is broke in.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Red Key only...

I tried every combination just to make sure everything worked and get a feel of how it affected the performance (within the given break-in constraints).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    break-in is for drivetrain. Engines are engine dyno'd for 42(43?) minutes. Then dropped into the car.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. DShatzer

DShatzer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The engine gets dyno time, but the rear end gears need some time to get acquainted, as well as the transmission and brakes. Your car, you decide.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I used all 3 modes, Street, Sport, and Track. It helped in varying the RPMs, but that's the only reason.

Black key??? I don't understand what you're talking about.... :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Steppenwolf

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks.

Based on the above posts, some obviously adopt the philosophy of "drive it off the dealer's lot like you stole it."

I just wanted to know what specific modes (e.g., Eco v. Track) the more conservative HC owners were using during the break-in period.

Perhaps, ultimately, it doesn't matter. But as a new HC owner, I just wanted to take a toned-down approach at first. No drag strip in sight for me for quite a while, if ever ... :cool:

Funny. Yeah, I'm intending to break mine in with the red key, but just wanted to know if someone advised using only the black key for that purpose.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I followed the break in procedures as recommended. Mostly in street modes, but occasionally with the trans in sport. Gradually opened her up bit by bit after the 500 miles. Once I hit 1000-1200 miles, I drove it like I do now ...6700 miles after nearly 1 year. No issues or codes, but still haven't floored it or done a burnout. I usually avg about 12 mpg between fill ups. My Kitty did use about 1.5 qts of oil before the first oil change at 2700 miles, but has used very little <1/2 qt since then. Second oil change came at about 6500 miles. ;) Have never used the Black Key:p:p

• Like Like x 2
  10. Steppenwolf

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Actually, that brings up another question I had - on oil changes.

I've seen posts where guys mention doing their first oil/oil filter change during the break-in right at 500miles, then again at, say, 1,500mi.

Don't have the manual in front of me, but what does it specify as the intervals for oil/filter changes starting with the first?

11. clickr

clickr Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Engines on a factory dyno don't include the transmission. Break in normally means "metal to metal" rubbing away high spots etc which leaves metal particles in the oil. Driven too excessively during the break in can starve certain metal to metal clearances that have not been "worn in" to be damaged.
    So given the engine has been broken in (really doubt it has been fully broken in at the factory) you have the transmission, drive shaft, rear end, axles, brakes, bolt on equipment that turns at well engine RPM, etc. It is my belief that to properly run-in a car with the HC's equipment, every mode should be used, if not for anything but to make sure everything works correctly and has been "hooked" up right.

I agree the run-in is partially to get the owner accustom to the HC, but you have the 392 and the person only owned a VW Beetle, quite a hp difference there also.

Oil changes: most new engines have break-in additives added to the oil at the factory which help lubricate parts. Removing this oil too soon can cause problems if the additive is not added back in to the new oil. Getting rid of the factory oil will remove the metal particles faster but that's what the oil filter is for. These are not the 60's oil filters so let it do it's job and leave the oil in the car for a while, then change it according to how you drive it.. Oil is cheap, seat time away from the car for even warranty work is costly. I would even go to say that the A8 fluid/filer should be changed within the first 90 days and annually thereafter.

The life cycle on the engine is not that old, and as people have discovered with the crank not being pinned, other factors may well "raise their ugly head" in the future. Treat the engine with respect within it's designed parameters and it should hold up for decades, abuse it and then maybe you can get a replacement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MattG

MattG Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Break in:
    I have only "red" keys and the black one is somewhere in my dresser drawer. I left mine in default mode for the most part of the first 1,000 miles. Trying to get accustomed to the car. after reading A LOT on this site about other owners i then tried a different modes, sport then track to see what it does. After 1500 miles on the car i drive mostly in sport mode. the exhaust note is just perfect for my ears and hearing aids. HAHA

OIl changes:
    I never add any oil if i find i am low. I change it. So just about 1,000 miles in i changed the oil. I was down a quart. If it was clear or cleaner i might have added, but my nature is to change it and never add a quart.
    I used a Wix filter and the recommended Pennzoil 0-40 Ultra oil. find it on sale at your local Autozone or what is near to you. Make sure there is a rebate on it and you can save a lot if you do it yourself.

Varying speeds during break-in was not for me. My initial trip home from the dealer was across the state of Ohio on interstate 80 back to PA. So cruise control at 70 to 80mph was norm for me. What a dream to drive.
    and icing for the cake was I got 23.7 mpg on the way home. Gas Guzzler my butt.
    1700= miles to date and no issues or codes. Updated system at the dealer for the HK stereo and thats it till now.

Matt

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Break-in is a myth.

I have never used my black key. My wife has used it for the one time she drove my car.

Most people who have actually followed the break-in procedure in the manual have never had a high performance vehicle before (nothing wrong with that). I've never followed it for any car or motorcycles I've owned, and have never had any of them show issues in any way as a result. The one bike I had to do that silliness on was my Ducati, and that's a very specific case with them so you don't bend your valves before your 500 mile initial service.

• Like Like x 1
  14. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I used the black key for about a week with my first Hellcat, thinking it would help keep me restrained during break in. It lasted only a week, LOL! With Jimi, my 2nd Hellcat, I have followed the recommended break in for the first 500 miles, and feel satisfied. I am not planning to break any speed records anytime soon, and I only have around town driving for the short term, but I will not be nearly as anal about break in from here on out.

With the first Hellcat I got my first oil change early (I think it was just over 500 miles? Too long, don't remember for certain), but with Jimi I will probably wait until 1k miles.

April

15. hemiplymouth

hemiplymouth Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think the 500 mile breakin is more for the driver.