Break in procedure?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Helldog, May 15, 2016.

1. Helldog

Helldog Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What is the proper break in procedure for a new Hellcat? I did a search but just came up with threads saying that they followed the procedure. Is the procedure posted here somewhere? If so anyone able to provide a link? thanks

2. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It is in your owner's manual.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Think it is in the wiki section well. And, your dealer should have given you a sheet with the list.

• Like Like x 1
  4. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It is in your owner's manual, and I cut and pasted this from another thread. This information is also listed in the Hellcat WiKi

: BREAK IN PROCEDURE : It is recommended for the operator to observe the following driving behaviors during the new vehicle break-in period:
    0 to 100 miles (0 to 161 km):
    • Do not allow the engine to operate at idle for an extended period of time.
    • Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration.
    • Avoid aggressive braking.
    • Drive with the engine speed less than 3,500 RPM.
    • Maintain vehicle speed below 55 mph (88 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

100 to 300 miles (161 to 483 km):
    • Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration in lower gears (1st to 3rd gears).
    • Avoid aggressive braking.
    • Drive with the engine speed less than 5,000 RPM.
    • Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph (112 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

300 to 500 miles (483 to 805 km):
    • Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually (paddles or gear shift) at higher rpms when possible.
    • Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator pedal at wide open throttle.
    • Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

And finally............500 miles (805 kms ) plus......go like hell

April

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Also....several down in this post.
    Break in procedure????

Haha, April beat me to it. Only thing to add is no trace events for first 1500 miles.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MattG

MattG Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Agree with April
    My breakin was 75 mph across the state of Ohio on interstate 80 back home to Allentown, PA.
    Car runs fine, currently at 1400 miles

Matt

7. BlueSky

BlueSky Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Drive it like you stole it!

8. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I used that as a guideline or blueprint however I gave myself +5-10 mph wiggle room. Stay within decent parameters, go for long drives and those 500 miles would be gone in a hurry.

9. Helldog

Helldog Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for all the input. I clicked on the wiki link in another thread but it said error I appreciate the updated link. Real simple probably too simple transaction. I wrote a check and they handed me the keys and I drove away. That's it. No going over anything, no detail (I asked them not to), I did get a full tank of 87 octane:eek::p:D,,,,,,,j/k they met me at the station and I made sure it was 93.

10. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My dealer almost neglected to give me the owner's manual and case for the booklets. I hope you got that at least. You can download all of the manuals through the SRT Website but it's nice to have the printed version.

One other thing, I had a friend who happens to be an independent auto mechanic put my car on the lift at 750 miles for my oil change and I got to look under the car and we discovered one of the rear CV joint boots had leaked most, if not all, of the grease. I then found a Dodge dealership service department that did the work while I waited and most importantly replaced the entire driver's side axle assembly from the differential to the wheel.

I like to check my own cars out for issues, who knows if they would have reported the CV boot issue to me?

Congratulations.

11. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Call Dodge and get a print copy of the full size owners manual. Much easier than fussing with the computer.

12. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am more of a computer reading guy. I have all the Owners Manuals and then some saved to my PDF section in I-Books on my favorite IPad Air. Also use it for mail, Plans and specifications of HUGE construction projects. Forum, maps, stocks, games, weather, pictures, notes on my car including all maintenance. Does not get any easier, or can I think of a more compact way to carry around tons of info than that.

Break in? I have seen things from leaving the dealer and nailing it to over 100 mph to text book breakin. Does not seem to matter. Result seems the same, monster of a car!