Break in procedure????

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by 707HPWR, Mar 27, 2015.

1. 707HPWR

707HPWR Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ok, so I picked up my hellcat yesterday, it only had 4 miles on it. Now I definitly knew more about this car than anybody at the dealership so they really didn't do much but take my money and hand me the keys. Can you guys enlighten me on the proper breakin procedure for this car. So far I havnt let the car go above 3000 rpm, havnt gone faster than 55, and been taking it nice and slow. ITS KILLING ME!!! I don't know how I'm gonna get to 500 miles... Other questions I have is, is it better or worse to drive with the black key? What about Eco mode, during the breakin is it better to use the Eco mode? Is it really 500 miles, I know nothing, please help...

2. Ironside

Ironside Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Check your owner's manual, it's all in there (in very specific detail)

Red key, black key, valet is your choice, all depends on your willpower - none of the options are necessarily better or worse if you can restrain yourself from smashing the go pedal!

Congrats on the car! I'm still waiting on mine; nice to see someone nearby get their Cat (I live across the river in Windsor, ON)

3. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  4. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Drive with the red key is eco mode, keep it below 55 mph, and under 3500rpms until 100 miles, then up to 5000 rpms and 75mph up until 300 miles, after that I think it's practice full rpm range, no hard take offs, and no launch control until 500 miles,, that's the short form

• Like Like x 1
  5. dodgeboy

dodgeboy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I drove it with the red key throughout the break-in period. Even though the way you have to drive it certainly doesn't call for the red key, I wanted to make sure that all parts and pieces were getting an equal break-in. Using valet mode, eco mode, black key, etc. changes many things about the car. Some of the modes use second gear starts (which means 1st gear probably wouldn't be getting a break-in). Some of the modes probably leave the supercharger in bypass all the time, which means it may not be getting a proper break-in, etc. After 300 miles, when you can exercise the full RPM range, I think it makes even more sense to use the red key.

Of course, if you don't have the discipline to follow the guidelines, you may be better off with the black key, eco mode, valet mode, etc. :) Keeping yourself from flooring it during the first 500 miles is one of the more challenging things a car guy will ever have to do.

6. owenspackman

owenspackman BritishCat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will be following the break in procedure exactly as outlined in the owners manual. Some people don't, some do. Each to their own. But being easy on the car for the first 500 miles is little price to pay for some peace of mind.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    : BREAK IN PROCEDURE : It is recommended for the operator to observe the following driving behaviors during the new vehicle break-in period:
    0 to 100 miles (0 to 161 km):
    • Do not allow the engine to operate at idle for an extended period of time.
    • Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration.
    • Avoid aggressive braking.
    • Drive with the engine speed less than 3,500 RPM.
    • Maintain vehicle speed below 55 mph (88 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

100 to 300 miles (161 to 483 km):
    • Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration in lower gears (1st to 3rd gears).
    • Avoid aggressive braking.
    • Drive with the engine speed less than 5,000 RPM.
    • Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph (112 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

300 to 500 miles (483 to 805 km):
    • Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually (paddles or gear shift) at higher rpms when possible.
    • Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator pedal at wide open throttle.
    • Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

And finally............500 miles (805 kms ) plus......go like hell

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Or a car girl .. .trust me, I had a difficult time controlling my lead foot, also! :D

April

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. budkole

budkole Best Color and fastest is undoubtedly WHITE

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    break in period, guess I overlooked that part! oh well...lol, I drive it like I stole it, no regrets!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 707HPWR

707HPWR Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    This is killing me!! How did you guys ever get to 500 without pushing this monster! I got fusions pulling up to me and revving their engines. I'm at 250 miles and I'm dying inside.. Ok, I need clarification on 300 to 500 miles, I understand no hard launches and keep it under 85mph, but does that mean I can floor it from 40 to 85? Can I redline, can I have a little (and I mean a little) fun with her?

11. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I read 300-500 where it says exercise full engine rpm range and that's what I did.... Mashed it.

12. budkole

budkole Best Color and fastest is undoubtedly WHITE

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I definitely did. Im at 320 miles...what break in period?, I dont need no stinking break in period:D.....I haul a$$ every chance i get

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. april77

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can honestly say that it was one of the most difficult things I have had to do, ever! I made myself use the black key, and managed to be a good girl for one of the few times in my life, LOL!

April

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I believe it's called 'maturity'. I'm wouldn't know but that's what I'm told. You can do it buddy! Hang in there!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. MVT

MVT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had my car over 100mph at 100 miles, I just kept the shifts to 4000 rpms, at 250 miles had it over 120mph, at 400 miles shifts to 5500 rpms, 500 miles 6000 rpm shifts all day, got the car to 137 mph. That was my break in, I believe the car needs a little of what your gonna do to it. Never used the stinking black key yet, and never will! LOL:rolleyes:

I also broke in my last car a 2014 392 SRT Core the same way.

• Like Like x 1