Breaking in without breaking

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by powerpuss, Aug 1, 2015.

1. powerpuss

powerpuss Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi everyone! After searching halfway across the country for a reasonably priced HC, I finally landed one at a dealership that's about 1,000 miles away. I'm picking it up next week and going to drive it home (trading my current car), though I wondered if there are any precautions I should take. More specifically, would it be a potential problem driving a brand new HC for 1,000 miles continuously given that it's the first 1,000 mile the car will see? Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Other folks have done it without consequence. They do recommend not driving at a steady speed/rpm until break in is complete, so I would avoid the cruise control. Vary your speed, perhaps take side roads and small detours through an urban city area & review the break in procedures. Once you get to 300 miles, you can open it up a bit. After 500, you can open it up more. Check out the PDI checklist here on the forum and make sure the dealer does a thourough job...also make sure lug nuts are torqued. Take some music with you, have a rough idea as to where Dodge dealers are along the way...if needed....and don't forget your phone charger. Stop and take pix at interesting spots and post the best ones here when you return. Enjoy the ultimate road trip.:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    DO Exactly this as per Dodge...

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I 2nd no steady speed...Don't use cruise control during your trip... My other cars manual suggested " no steady speed fast or slow during break-in" .so I did that as well with my cat.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Shake&Bake

Shake&Bake Back to (1) Club?

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm sure you will be fine. I think that these cars have some problems here and there, but for the most part, they don't. Plus there are people from everywhere on this forum. Post on here if you have a problem, I'm sure some here can help. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Nitewing

Nitewing Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Did about 800 mile trip home with mine. Do as others above mentioned and you'll be fine. Hardest part is keeping within the recommended speed, especially that first hundred miles. Enjoy your car and your trip!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ljaviation

ljaviation Self proclaimed Banned, Because I can.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree with all above, Snappy, and Soundman5000 gave it to you straight out of Dodge. Take your time and enjoy. Hard to follow rules once behind the wheel. First 500 is tough. Congrats on the new ride.
    L J

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi, and welcome to the forum! Grtz on getting a HellCat, I know you are excited! The guys have already shared good info with you, so I will not be redundant. :) Have a safe and fun trip home!!! Pictures when you can, please, because we'd love to see your new baby!

April

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Unlike many, I followed the break end process to the letter. NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ....Oh yes...congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. I too followed break in to the letter....no issues after 2000 miles (except for rear seal leak which came from the factory and has since been repaired)

• Like Like x 1
  11. digdug33071

digdug33071 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome. You are going to love the car. I drove home from the dealership at 75 MPH before I read the breakin recommendation. No issues other than a blown radiator at 5K mikes. But I'd recommend take back roads and take her easy. Enjoy the ride. Pics please.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ljaviation

ljaviation Self proclaimed Banned, Because I can.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm just under 800 miles, and followed it also. No problems to date. But I have started driving the car in track with TC off. I want to feel what it's going to do, and it's still compliant. I've been driving it that way past 200 miles. No track days yet. Maybe next year. I don't think I'll have time out of work to put the mileage on it this year and I live 3 miles from work.
    Good to hear all.!!
    L J

• Like Like x 1
  13. powerpuss

powerpuss Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you all for the warm welcome and thoughtful suggestions. I'll definitely share my pics and hopefully none will involve a tow truck or state trooper! I think that most of what Dodge recommends seems easily enough to follow (granted keeping speed below 55 MPH may be easier said than done). It sounds to me that the parts that are going to be tricky on so many miles of open road are 1) varying the vehicle speed and 2) exercising "full engine rpm range." I suppose varying speed would be pretty easy if the range is typical of highway speeds, say 55-65 MPH; however, if they mean 25-75 MPH, then that's gong to be tough! True, I could take local roads and do a little sightseeing in passing cities with the cost of longer travel time back home, but I'm hoping that simply avoiding cruise control would be enough to take care the speed issue. The part on exercsing full rpm range seems only possible on local roads/streets where there are frequent stops as well as long stretches of road. It's sounding like there's no way around taking a lot of time to do this properly. On the bright side, it'll give us plenty of time to bond :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. 4510

4510 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I ran 2200 miles home with mine. First 20 minutes was in stop and go, bumper to bumper getting out of Tampa Florida. The manual mentions nothing about constant speed but I avoided that. It is pretty easy to vary RPMs, you can drop a gear, you can change speed.

Absolutely no problems with mine whatsoever.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 4510

4510 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I ran 2200 miles home with mine. First 20 minutes was in stop and go, bumper to bumper getting out of Tampa Florida. The manual mentions nothing about constant speed but I avoided that. It is pretty easy to vary RPMs, you can drop a gear, you can change speed.

Absolutely no problems with mine whatsoever.

• Like Like x 2