business idea

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bighit2883, Aug 27, 2015.

1. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Been thinking about opening a do it yourself garage. I supply the tools, lifts, oil change pit. High speed Internet and tablets so you can Google or YouTube info. Where i live there are so many apartments people dont have the space to wrench on their own vehicles. I'd have a heated 2 stall shop. Even with a mechanic on staff to help with harder projects and to give hands on advice and help. Would any of you go to such a place. Any and all input is welcome. Trying to figure out if this would be profitable for me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's a good idea, you obviously need to check city and state laws and licensing for this, also insurance. It might not be worth it after all that unless you get high volume.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Harryhomeowner7

Harryhomeowner7 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would use this for drive shaft/loop install. Most of my hesitation on projects is getting stuck midway through.

4. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ive check on insurance and it would be between 3500 and 5000 annually. The shop is pre-existing and also comes with a u-haul rental contract that nets roughly $3,000 profit a month

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The military has shops exactly like you're referring to on just about every post. I used the crap out of them when it was possible.

The problem is the start up cost would be astronomical, tools, lifts, air tools, compressors, aren't cheap.You'd also need to hire a good mechanic to run the shop, which isn't cheap but I can't tell you how many times an old-timer has thrown his hat into helping me get my vehicles put back together. Problem with this on the civilian side, would also be liability issues. Not to mention the complexities of the computer systems on vehicles newer than 20 years old. I have no doubt this idea could make money but it'd have to be perfectly located to get the kind of traffic you'd need to keep the doors open. Good luck in your decision, I'd welcome such a place in my neck of the woods.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Back in the 90s there was a shop near me that rented out a bay. Never used it myself, but I known it's been before. If the insurance isn't that much, the only other thing is touching people cars. Once you do that then the are free to come back and blame you for their bad work.

7. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The location is already a quick lube and tune. The owner has a ton of rental properties and just doesn't have time for the shop anymore. I can get the location and lifts all for roughly 100k.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    People would sign a waiver form stating that misuse of tools, lifts, and other equipment can and will result in injury or death. Also staff would help with getting the car on and off the lift. Staff is only there to supervise and give advice and help. Not to fully do the work for you. So i would make no guarantees or warranty claims on work done.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fionn MacCumhaill

Fionn MacCumhaill Irish A'Hole - Wanna Fight About It!? Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Like Like x 1
  10. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yup I've googled around and seen that it's out there. Asking you guys and gals if it's something you would use. Thoughts if you would think it would be a wise investment

11. Fionn MacCumhaill

Fionn MacCumhaill Irish A'Hole - Wanna Fight About It!? Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have used the DIY Auto place in my area before. I don't have a lift and installing long tube headers on late model hemis sucks when you are doing it with the car only on jack stands lol. In regards to it being a good investment, I will say this, there used to be two of these types of businesses around Denver, one shut down due to lack of business, so take that as you will.

12. caren

caren Hell-o Kitty

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Car wash would be a good idea too, for those who can't hand wash in their neighborhoods!

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I used the heck out of ours in Ft Hood.
    One problem I would see would be having to have bouncers as well as mechanics.
    People today are not as respectful as they used to be, and the newer generation has more of a r&r mentality.
    Just IMHO

14. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It may sound ignorant of me but my community is actually a very idk how to say it...we have very little crime and issues of the such here in North Dakota. People around here are very respectful and nice. Hell, my parents don't even lock their doors at their home. We've just never had many issues of crime, violence, and the likes around here. Its a smaller area. The entire metro area is about 225,000. Thats about 4 towns all together.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think its a great idea,,,,, and put up some storage building on the property, its money in the bank........