Buying lightly used HCs

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by quakejake, Jun 29, 2016.

1. quakejake

quakejake Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Simple question. Knowing the possible way these cars are driven would it be wise to purchase used. Talking about a vehicle with less than 5K on the clock.

2. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Absolutely...check to see if they have maintenance records and don't forget, you have a warranty attached the vehicle! There's more, but there always are, even with a new car purchase

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. clickr

clickr Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    it all depends, on $'s and availability. I've been looking for a PCP Charger and now that the color has been discontinued. They are getting harder to find.
    If the used one is what you want (color, options, etc. $$$.s) , ask for all warranty work done on the car. Call the service manager where the car is serviced and talk to him/her. Ask what they would charge to do a check on the engine/trans and other systems and look for evidence of wreckage, verify any remaining/transferrable warranty. Car Fax is your best friend. Ask the service dept to look for after market add-ons that may void the warranty. (never buy from a family member or friend). Make sure the title is clear and/or talk to the finance company on how best to handle the title. There are guides on the internet on things to go over when purchasing a used car, maybe check some of them out.

The car is built to handle a high level of "use and abuse"; however, it's wise to question how the car was driven in the past. Don't know if there is any way to determine if the tires were put on by the factory (any factory code), measure how much tread is left. I've heard that burnt rubber sticks to the fender wells after burn outs.

Good luck in your purchase.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf VIP Hellcat Member

Running hard ... in the Wasteland of my Mind.
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Assume you mean under 5K miles, plus still within the general 3yr/30K mi warranty? Absolutely if the seller's got it priced to move. To me, still being within the warranty part is huge.

Remember, there are an ass-ton of brand new 2016 HCs just sitting on dealers lot not being sold ....

Are you looking at a lightly used 2015 or 2016? I know one enthusiast here right now who's trying to sell his 2015 HC in anticipation of putting the cash into a 2017 model.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NX91Notch

NX91Notch Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good used Hellcats low mileage Hellcats are out there. Dodge built the car to take a beating....so even IF it was driven a little hard I wouldn't worry about it. Powertrain warranty would transfer over to you and most will probably still have some bumper to bumper warranty.

I just traded my fairly low miles (8000 miles) 2015 Hellcat in last week for a Viper. It's located at a dealer in IL. IDK how close you are to there if you are interested I could get you in contact with the salesman I used. He was great!

My car was a 2015 bright white M6 with Nav/RA4 radio. Viper certified tech owned and operated and in near perfect condition they actually sent me a picture of it on the showroom floor, that's the condition it is in showroom ready. It got an oil change every 3k miles, tires rotated every 3k miles and balance at 6k miles. Non smoker, not even food went in that car. Someone is going to get a great used Hellcat out there for whoever finds mine and purchases it. I hope it finds its way to a member on this board.

Yeah I got on it a little that was what it was made for. Made a couple 160+ mph pulls here and there. Couple tire spinning full out WOT from stop lights time to time. But that is what Dodge designed it to do!!!! But most of the time it was babied. No reason to buy a 700 hp car if you have no plans on letting her loose from time to time.

6. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Seems like the used ones are going for what new ones are. That being the case, I'd go with a new one if it were me unless of course you are looking for a particular color that is out of production.

7. why2kmax

why2kmax SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just bought a used 2015 A8 with 10,000 miles on it. Car had a full 3m on front, hood, behind wheels etc, not a mark or dent on it. Looked like the owner took really good care of it. However, Top speed page said 199 mph and Im sure every salesman who had it for the 960 miles it was driven in early 15 before it was sold burned the tires off of it, and then the dealer I bought it from probably flogged it too. BUt the price was right and it has the rest of the 5/100k warranty. Id love to have been able to afford a 16 or one with very low miles or no miles but those were out of my price range. For me, it was an acceptable risk to roll the dice and get a supercar for a price that wasnt out of reach. Im betting the car can take it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf VIP Hellcat Member

Running hard ... in the Wasteland of my Mind.
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds pretty sweet. What did you get it for? Ballpark, I mean.

9. quakejake

quakejake Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've been finding this out this morming

10. Hellcatmichael

Hellcatmichael SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Can't you say that about any used car. What prevents someone forming beating the shit out of any used car be it high performance, luxury or economy. Do you think all Ford mustang gt 500 or corvettes are driven any different then Hellcat's. Just because someone bought a new Honda doesn't mean it wasn't abused. Get an extended warranty if have any doubts.

11. Peter Gozinya

Peter Gozinya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Hellcat is designed to be driven, well let's say at a high level and hard. Dodge and SRT have designed it to do this. They have even detuned it for reliability reasons. If any car can take some hard use it is this type of car. Since any new / used HC should still have alot of the original warrantee intact what is the hesitation? A typical owner would not do the out of the box abuse that motor journalist would do, just trying to beat the piss out of car that is not theirs. If the car went through a proper break in then it should be fine IMHO. Most people probably drive the car around town and get on it once and awhile (like me). If you have someone that has bought the car to drag race it at many events then the car may see more hard use, but then again that is what the warrantee is for and what the car is designed for. I have not seen one video where they tested the car, be it a test mule or production car and it "broke". I did see some breaking rocker arms and twisting driveshafts but all is covered under the warrantee.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hellcatmichael

Hellcatmichael SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's kind of what I'm saying but not in so many words

13. Peter Gozinya

Peter Gozinya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry, I tend to be long winded / worded. Cheers!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. GiveEmHell

GiveEmHell Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Avondale Dodge in AZ has 2 of them in stock, both at MSRP. If you are interested.

15. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Clean, used Hellcats are out there. Get a carfax, look it over carefully, and make certain there is still warranty left on the car and you should be fine. I traded in my 2015 Redline HC (named Dante) in on my 2016 Plum Crazy HC (named Jimi) 2 months ago, and the only reason I did so was to get the color I originally wanted. I did not rag out my first Hellcat, but I did drive it. I have taken great care of every car i have ever owned, but especially these Hellcats. I sent off for the hard copies of the owner's manuals, I kept every piece of paper from the delivery (original window sticker, etc.), every service receipt (oil change, flash updates, recalls, etc.), and even included the warranty paperwork from both the paint job I had done on the spoiler and the stripe kit I had installed, and all of that paperwork went with Dante to the new owner. I had the 2015 for 17 months and when I traded it there were only 5213 miles on it. The guy that bought it (the day we traded it in, literally 30 minutes after we left) got a great deal on a flawless, spotless, lovingly cared for car. Be careful, do your homework, and you will be good to go.

April

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1