BWoody CAI might be usable now!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Bandit, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yay. Got my promised wiring harness in for the BWoody CAI, so now after months of sitting in my garage boxed up, I can install it this weekend.

Anyone have any install issues that came up, so I am better prepared?

Also, anyone got their new wiring harness and had any issues?

Temps have dropped here to the 50s, and we will be seeing 40s soon, hope the wiring harness fooling the MAF into seeing cooler temps won't be an issue. My car is a daily driver, even in the winter.

• Like Like x 1
  2. im3cpo

im3cpo Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I heard the IAT wiring harness is only needed if you get a CEL while running the intake (supposedly from too high of intake temps being reported). Are you going to install the harness regardless? Or try a with and without and see how the car responds?

3. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Until two weeks ago, we were in the 80s and 90s (100+ prior) in Texas, so I wasn't going to install it without the harness because I knew it was going to throw codes.

Even right now in the middle of the day we will see 70s, and sitting in traffic *might* let it run up too hot.

4. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Installation pretty easy, my catch can hose was right in the way, but I worked around that, took about a minute to install. Temps dont seem to rise too fast like before, not super hot out here, but maybe this weekend supposed to warm up, no issues so far, no codes at all.

One thing on the Woody install, you might need to remove the filter to get the support beam into place, I found that the filter was hitting the well and I couldn't get the beam to line up, popped it off, bolted the beam in, then put the filter back on, no problem after that. Getting that hose (not maf) in was kinda PITA, but other than that no issues. Get ready for incredible whine....

5. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Thanks! I will be removing the filter anyway because I ordered a custom made dry filter from AFE. I still can't fathom why BWoody made an oiled filter for these things.

6. Mills

Mills Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Anyone planning on a trip to the Dyno? I am uncertain how the intake alone adds ~10 HP, then the added harness, which was brought in only for guys getting CEL, had numerous testers @ 30+ HP

7. im3cpo

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am in the same boat as you. It just seems like there is still some voodoo going on in this whole thing. If the engine needs more flow, then better flow should make a difference. The whole point of having a mass airflow sensor is to do just that! Measure the flow of air so your car can take advantage of it when its present! I hear guys that are running aftermarket cold air intakes are running lean, which makes me think there is not a "flow" issue with the stock intake (when running an otherwise stock engine). Then there are some that get high intake air temperatures. This could be the case due to no shroud on the after market filter, but then the AFE one should "work" and it apparently doesn't. The IAT harness tricks the sensor into thinking the air is colder than reported which in turn adds more fuel (which eliminates the lean condition previously mentioned). People blame the stock sensor as being no good, but if thats the case, why does it work perfectly fine in a stock use case???!?!

There may very well be answers to these questions, but for the life of me I dont know why its not simply addressed all at once. If I pitched a product this way, I wouldnt be in business too long...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    "incredable whine" doesnt do the sound justice ! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    By "voodoo", "trick" etc you mean you don't know how this setup works.... Hellcat a/f and what the the the oe maf does (and doesn't do, normally, or its issues) isn't understood by most. There's a lot going on. Best not to flame a business until you have facts.

10. im3cpo

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not flaming anyone. Thats why I said there may very well be answers to these questions rather than "voodoo" being used as an explanation. It would seem reasonable for someone to at least try to explain the complexities or "we are not sure why this works, but if you do X everything is fine". In the end, I am sure it will all work out and if the gains are there, they will speak for themselves. I was merely commenting on the current status of information disclosure.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  11. rrroscoe

rrroscoe Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Can I ask what filter you got (part number). I would rather go with a dry filter also. I have had my filter on for 2000 miles so far. No codes. Got my harness, not sure I need to put it on.

12. mike@bwp

mike@bwp Gold Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

We've already explained it in other posts, we have modified the 5 volt signal very, very slightly and it is linear. The sensors on the car are extremely sensitive modifying 1 sensor too much will automatically set off a CEL during cold start when the car is in diagnostic mode as all sensors must be within a certain threshold and their are 5 IAT sensors on the engine. @ 65 degrees the temp is modified approximately 2 degrees give or take a few 10ths, at 180 which no one should ever see unless you are sitting in dead traffic for hours would be anywhere for 22-26 degrees. The harness was produced as a free fix for an over temp code that 7 out of 198 customers experienced. By modifying that same sensors 5 volt signal it richened up the A/F a tad and actually added a few ponies, but that's not what we were after, we were only after a solution to the CEL light some customers were receiving. At least we came up with a part that solved an issue unlike other intake manufacturers did and just washed their hands of it, or at worst told the customer to remove the intake when sitting in traffic in the summer or remove it when it rains cause it does not have a rain shield.

The harness with the intake has been tested for almost 2 1/2 months with no issues what so ever. We've had multiple tuners that have had it data logging and it has performed flawlessly with no ill effects at all.

As far as the "Voodoo" comment, call it what you want. Were the only company out there to offer a solution, and invest over $14k in it, were not going to give out the particulars, it is our money invested in it not yours. It is a proprietary design to this company, were not just going to put it out there so others can copy immediately, Our designs are already copied enough by other manufacturers. Ask a tuner that writes the CMR tunes for the hellcat to share their info with you and see how far you get.

-Mike

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You said this was pitched I see none of that. I see good faith effort. In the performance product segment there's a lot of proprietary information kept confidential.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. im3cpo

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I re-read what I originally said and I *think* I can see where you are coming from. My comment was not said against a specific person or entity (and didn't mean to imply Bwoody either). But I can see how what I said could be taken the way you are taking it.

My point was its hard to know what is going on and what it causing what. I am sure this will all get figured out in the end.

15. im3cpo

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Seems my wording has struck a nerve with some (which was not my intention). I understand there are trade secrets and that not everything can be disclosed. I appreciate you shared what information you are comfortable in sharing. Keep up the good work and thanks for spending the time and money necessary to provide a good product!