Cai and altitude ?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Ray Hunsaker, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Ray Hunsaker

Ray Hunsaker Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    does any body know if cold air intake has any benefit at altitude I'm at 4500 ft and yes we all know that they are not working at Lower elevations.

2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would have to think the higher the elevation, the thinner the air.....Just a thought

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ray Hunsaker

Ray Hunsaker Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    absolutely that I know. but would they help? we lose 2-3% of hp per 1000 ft and that's a bummer!!!!

4. Dak59RT

Dak59RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can't see how an aftermarket CAI would make a difference for a stock Hellcat at high altitude but not at sea level. The air is thinner (thus less mass of O2) so the factory intake system would be flowing an absolute air mass that is far less than at sea level (stressing the factory intake less). I think the only way the factory intake of a stock Hellcat might be tested as a restriction point is on much colder days at sea level when the air mass is denser (thus more mass of O2).

That remains to be carefully tested but I do know that Hellcats were out in the colder months of 2014/2015 and filters have been removed by some from the start... No one is picking up big power more than about 5 - 10 rwhp without a filter - hot or cold weather. That argument would suggest that the factory intake is pretty damn good for a stock Hellcat year round.

I took my filter out once on the dyno on a hot day and saw no gain in power. I'll never be doing that again... I'm way too paranoid and was cringing hoping some random flying insect wouldn't get sucked in! I doubt the supercharger likes to eat bugs. o_O

Good luck! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ray Hunsaker

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    thanks for the input, I'm just thinking less air so maybe could use more volume?

6. Cerino2000

Cerino2000 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Man I loved it when I lived in Denver but HATED what it did to an engine. It is a deal breaker for me ever living there again.

7. Ray Hunsaker

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    any time I'm at sea level driving (not the hell cat -wish- ) it's a big difference. I can't imagine how my hell cat would feel!!!!!!!!!