CAI decision!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Recopadof15, May 20, 2016.

1. Recopadof15

Recopadof15 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hello fam!
    Well i made my mind after intensive research and looking into tactil proves. Ill go with the k&n cold air intake. Is the best out there by far in every single aspect. Im not going into deep details you all might already know.
    Now the issue is as u all have notice it, the filters sits right under the heat extractor and the rain and water have free access to the filter. I tried contacting kn service but their customer service is just disgusting. I asked bout the dry flow filter and a cover like bwoody has. After about 3 weeks and a not so polite msj from me to them they replied with we cant help you sorry.
    Now my questions for u all here. You guys knw where i can buy a cover just like the one bwoody has? I tried going to bwoody main page but they dont sell it, i tried looking online and not either. Any help getting it will be really appreciated!

So here is my set up
    Kn part number ru-3101hbk CAI
    Kn part number 69-2550ttk dry flow air filter.
    Both together comes out to about the same price of the bwoody. But then u have 2 filters or u can just sell the oiled one!
    Thnx for you help! IMG_20160518_135616.jpg

2. cleankat

cleankat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Doesn't K&N make a dry charger that you wrap the filter in? Wonder if one of the covers made for other intakes could be adapted to the K&N? Just a couple thoughts.....how's the sound with the new intake? If it wasn't for the water issue I would have one but living in SWFL the summers are rainy as heck and while I don't take the car out in the rain you never know here when a downpour is around the corner.

3. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Even if you could get the bwoody shield, I don't think it would work, as it slants down, it might hit the K&N. You might need a fabricator to make something up for you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Recopadof15

Recopadof15 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Those dry chargers or the sock looking thing that go over the filter it protects the filter from mild water and bigger debriefs as small rock or things like that. On a heavy rain that wont help at all.
    Also where in swfl u live? I live by kendall! What cat u have?

5. Recopadof15

Recopadof15 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I thought of that. I think i will have to go to a place that make fish tanks and get one done! Some type of fiber glass or thick plastic. Because aluminum or thin metal will hold lot of heat and is not gd to have hot metal near the filter it will warm up the air going in.

6. cleankat

cleankat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm in naples! Redline charger

7. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Given the independent track tests, the stock setup, drop in filter, is the best and will eliminate your concerns with water/rain.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pivotal

pivotal Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree the stock setup is probably best, but I just installed my BWoody intake and the sound is amazing!

Matt

9. SRT MANG

SRT MANG Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Supercharger whine is addicting...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fionn MacCumhaill

Fionn MacCumhaill Irish A'Hole - Wanna Fight About It!? Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just don't like the K&N setup, oiled filter - no thanks, open element under the heat extractor vent - no thanks, open filter case - no thanks. But to each his own I guess. If it tickles your pickle than more power to you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LOL, this is funny. You say that the K&N is "the best", but based on what factors? CAIs are merely noise makers unless you're building an extreme mod setup that requires more airflow. AND you're saying that K&N is the best while saying that it doesn't do the one important thing that a competitor's product does (keep out rain)... so how is that better?

Buy the damn Bwoody, it comes with a rain shield, and order a custom made dry filter from AFE. This is what I did. You'll get the insanely loud supercharger whine, maybe a tiny boost in performance (what, maybe 15hp?) and it'll do exactly what the K&N does except it will keep the rain out (and water from car washes) and look nicer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. SRT MANG

SRT MANG Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Just curious why you ordered a custom made dry filter from AFE?

13. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Oiled filters and MAFs don't go together. With AFE you can order filters made to your specs, totally custom. So that afforded me the ability to get the exact same dimensions as the Bwoody filter (which I think was a K&N filter anyway) so that I knew I had the proper fit.

14. DShatzer

DShatzer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Better sound ?OK......15 hp? that is within the margin of error for recording power output. OK. All individual decisions. Run them til the wheels fall off.

15. SRT MANG

SRT MANG Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Can you share the specs on the filter you had made? Or even better yet, share them with Bwoody so he can make it an available option when ordering for everyone. :)