SRT Hellcat Forum banner

can I pin the crank

27K views 104 replies 36 participants last post by  Quasar Z 
#1 ·
can any body (that knows) help me find out that if I have my crank pulley pinned will that affect any warranty at all. I would do it for preventative for not spinning crank dampened pulley. I can't think it should.

#2 ·
Just my .02. Don't touch it with a 10 foot pole. There is probably less than 1% motor failures. If it did fail you have a warranty to protect you.

Having your crank pinned would only be a warranty issue if something failed that was related to that. The issue is that if the manufacture points to you and denies warranty it's YOUR headache to take legal action etc. to get to resolution. Probably safe to say that FCA has more cash than you do (I don't mean that as an insult).

Leave it be... If you were to have an issue let FCA correct it.

#4 ·
With all that said I would not pin it either with a factory warranty. However, I would be carrying my torque wrench in the car and checking the crank pulley bolt torque regularly. Its torqued to like 235 ft lbs. Just checking the torque would not void the warranty

#3 ·
I'm going to say that if you drill into the factory crank, they will void your warranty. Wrong as that might be. I've seen a few dampers that have spun on the crank. Once it does that engine is junk.

I'll be pinning mine this winter.

#9 ·
Crank pulley bolt has a "diamond encrusted" washer to hold it tight/torqued....lol... Not lying.

Ill pin mine... Not he first crank I ve pinned. 5 minute procedure.
Do you use a roll pin or a solid tapered pin?

#15 ·
Get to it from the bottom side of the engine and use a Flywheel Lock. There are plenty of torque wrenchs out there that go that high. Snap-On, Mac, heck you can probably find one at Harbor Frieght although I'd be questionable about the accuracy and calibration

Not crazy, but not for the average Joe technician either

That's what I was thinking too. Maybe a few drops of red or blue loc-tight was left off in Mexico
Hm.. I have a 3/8 and 1/2 torque wrenches, I know the 3/8 does go that high, maybe the 1/2" does. Do not have a flywheel lock, have to check to see if the there is a access plate like on the 727 to get at the flywheel/ring gear on the A8. Ok, half crazy talk ;););)

#17 · (Edited)
I would like to know who had the bright idea of eliminating the key way from the crank snout and balancer, this was a stupid Dunb Ass idea that we are going to have to live with for years.
You have a balancer that turns a supercharger and it takes 80 horse power to do that and not to mention all the other accessories. And some one says hey lets leave out the key way WTF
were they thinking about (DUH) this Guy or Gal is definitely not a Drag Racer, whether we like it or not this is the weak link, no wonder Dodge put the one way drive pulley on the Supercharger probably to keep from spinning the balancer on the crank snout.
As the old saying goes just enough is never a enough and to much is just right. Bam Bam

Hey Dodge just fix it,start putting the key way back in. how much could it cost. Bam

#23 ·
4 out of 8,500 and suddenly the sky is falling?

I'm not about to throw away my 5 year warranty by panicking and jumping to conclusions without all the facts.

#34 ·
Why would Dodge do this no key way on the crank snout, just press fit with a diamond washer for some kind of friction retention .was this to save a machining step no broached key way slot on the balancer I for the life of me can't see how this ever got past engineering,this is a disaster waiting to happen,can anyone shed some light on this.WHY Why on earth would Dodge do this. possibly third year engineering student new to the srt team ? what do you think.
Bam Bam

#36 ·
Makes sense to do it if you mod your car as your warranty was already gone and more power was added.

For stock applications, I'll trust dodge engineers over a <1% failure rate and a few panicking people. Hopefully we get to the bottom of this soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.