Canadian Hellcat Availability

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Firepower, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Firepower

Firepower Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've recently started to search for a dealer to order up a Hellcat. A little late to the trough I know, Ive had an order placed on a new Z06 since November, however have decided the Hellcat may suit me better (I have three kids so the five seat belts is the deciding factor). I contacted my local salesman (northern Alberta) and he said good luck, I'll be fifth on the list and they don't even think they'll even get one. I've seen the one at Crosstown for the (rumoured) $97-110,000, depending who you ask. I could buy a Viper at that price, I find it almost insulting a dealership would mark a car up that much (the tag on that Crosstown Hellcat is $71,000). I don't intend to pay over MSRP, so my question is - am I wasting my time? Are there any dealers willing to try and order one in northern Alberta? I'm feeling I may have to move on to another car, however would like some feedback first.

A few more questions about the Canadian Hellcats:
    -Why is the manual a $1000 option on Canadian cars, yet American cars the six gear is $1700 less?
    -I see the sunroof as an option in the Canadian online builder but not on the American building site. Is this only a Canadian option?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out. This is my first post here, however I'm a hardcore car guy and the Hellcat has really piqued my interest. I never did like the new Challengers but for some reason the Hellcat has changed my opinion in a big way. No stranger to the Mopar world, the stable currently includes a 2000 Viper GTS and a 1968 Charger R/T. Ive recently sold my 2012 GT-R and am basically looking for its replacement - it was supposed to be the Z06 but I've decided it's back to Mopar. The order is still in however, in case I won't be able to secure a Hellcat in the next year. Thanks again.

2. AvsBest

AvsBest Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    First, the back seats on the challenger are one of the best of the category but it's still a back seat. If that's what you are really into you should look at something else...

At this point, I would almost say don't bother trying to get the challenger in Canada given that it is almost physically impossible that they fulfil all the current orders given the production we are given (70 built so far for Canada and 12 of those are in Alberta ish) 20 a month or so are built for Canada basiclly . Having said that they don't build them on a first come first served basis so maybe a high sale dealer could get you one at some point later in the year but then you run into the markups non sense that you've had the pleasure of facing.

Just as an FYI, the charger would solve your back seat problem and there is no substantial wait time for those. But it's not everyone that likes the new design and given you car history I doubt you are that type of guy but at least something to consider

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Chances are slim there will be unsold or available allocation cars in Alberta, but then again, if oil keeps dropping, there could be

4. Cruisin1966

Cruisin1966 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Apparently the one at the Hyundai dealership has been sold ($110,000): 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Coupe 2 door used cars trucks Edmonton Kijiji

Don't know what they want at Crosstown, but with Derrick Dodge selling theirs for $93,000 I'd be concerned it's $90,000+ for sure.

Since the dealers can't tell you about allocation (they're informed when the car is being built), there's no way to know who to talk to, regardless of north, central, or south. Unless you "know" someone, you'll be quite a ways down the list on any decent sized dealerships. After this B.S. allocation system, I can't see any small dealerships getting one ever. 2016 might be your best bet.

13 built so far for Alberta. Here's what I know: 10 orders in at Big4, 7 orders in at Varsity, 7 orders in at Airdrie, at least 2 orders in at Crowfoot, and an unknown number through Eastside, Renfrew, Courtesy, and Tower. My guess is that there are at least 50 orders placed for just the Calgary area alone.

You're suggestion on the Charger is valid, however, for the Canadian market, are we really sure the Charger is going to be any different with regards to allocations? I suspect not. But, I had considered it as well. So, I put in an order, and I'm second in line at the dealer for a Jazz Blue. Again, no guarantees the car will ever get built.

5. AvsBest

AvsBest Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    All Canadians chargers that we know of here got their VIN within a month, except me that is still waiting

6. Firepower

Firepower Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Cruisin1966, it appears my suspicions have been confirmed. Its appalling that these dealerships mark up the cars as much as they have and they've found buyers, I'll be certain not to patronize these dealerships in the future - makes my stomach turn what they've done. I can do without a car until 2016, however something else may take its place. In terms of the Charger, for the family its the hot ticket but for me it has to have two doors to truly be a car I glance back at when I'm walking away from it. For the few times all the kids are riding in it, the backseat will work just fine in the Challenger.

So is there any value in putting an order in now in case they ramp up production or possibly secure a place for 2016? Waiting a year may be the hot ticket as I suspect they'll release some more high impact colors, a Hemi orange Hellcat would be my preference.

7. Cruisin1966

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There's no guarantees that orders placed now which are not fulfilled will roll into the 2016 MY. If it was me, I'd wait until the order banks are open for 2016 and put an order in then. Perhaps then you would be able to choose the Hemi Orange or Plum Crazy. ;-)

8. AvsBest

AvsBest Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    if I had to bet an old $2 paper bill, I'd put it that hemi orange will be back next year but that just a guess of course. I'd wait in your case

9. Firepower

Firepower Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lol yeah I'm quite certain it will make a return as well. Mind you I'd take a sublime anytime, however my preference is the Classic hemi orange. I'm thinking the Hellcat will only be around a couple of years, even though the interior has been brought up to speed the car itself is quite dated (which I actually admire). When is the new barracuda supposed to drop again, is it 2017?

10. Ironside

Ironside Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is no barracuda - the new Challenger built on the LA platform was GOING to be called "barracuda" (or at least, they played with the idea, but according to Ralph, it wasn't coming together as they'd planned so they opted to just keep rolling with good old Challenger)

The Challenger is a brand new car, top to bottom, on a new platform - it's not just the interior that is new.

Expect our dear Challenger to stick around until after 2018, minimum! I know anything can happen, but I gather this is the case based on all the things I've read over the years online.

Wouldn't that suck if all of us with 2015 orders wait and wait, only to have to get back in line from scratch for the 2016 models!???? I'd be EVER so pissed!

11. Firepower

Firepower Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    New car from top down? What I've read is its essentially the same car - platform, body, basic drivetrain - with the usual updates (transmission and engine options, Hellcat option). I understand it was basically a refresh for the last kick at the can, with subtle body changes to differentiate. As the last remaining car from the "retro era" of autos including the other two pony cars, the Beetle, the SLS, and the numerous atrocities scattered about (the Prowler, Thunderbird and SSR spring to mind), once again Dodge truly is late to the party and the last to leave as they were in 1970-1974. Pretty cool in my opinion, it'll be my last chance to get a car of this sweet era of the automobile, and possibly the best.

That's my take anyway, however now that you mention it I recall the barracuda getting scrapped.

12. Ironside

Ironside Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Essentially the same car? I guess you should keep reading... :D

It's built on the LA platform (new), completely new interior, new transmission, new active exhaust, new engine options (producing more power than before), fascias and body panels changed, there's not much about the car that is the same as before. Just because they kept the same general look of a Challenger doesn't mean the car is the same!

The 2011-2014 was "basically the same car" as the 2008-2010 (with a few minor tweaks and a new engine, but still built on the LC platform); 2015+ is a whole new animal.

...and don't even get me STARTED on the Hellcat!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. dieselsc

dieselsc Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Received this email from dealer last night, no allocations for Canada, just a lottery system!

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. It’s been a long day here.

I was actually at a Chrysler meeting today. One of the topics was sold Challenger Hellcat allocation.

Just found out they are doing it by lottery. So it’s just a waiting game until your name gets picked for the car to get past BX status.

All dealers/customers are in the same boat.

• Useful Useful x 2
  14. Cruisin1966

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Seriously? LOL. If it is true, this is idiotic. It means that someone who is first in line at their dealership, perhaps ordered the 23rd of July, may not get a car, whereas someone who just placed an order (say 10th in line), get's their car picked up. Ludicrous!!!

15. Lighty

Lighty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The Chrysler fleet reps know what dealers are getting cars if orders are received. They also vet the orders up here to assure they are sold to customers not for dealers to hold and mark up like is happening south of here. My dealer knew they were getting 1 car and it is mine with a vin at D. With the low number of cars being built for Canada I wouldn't be surprised if both cars are already sold out up here.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015